Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to try the NAV option on my 2020 R/T today. I have the settings dialed-in for voice guidance, which worked for about 2 minutes, then nothing. What's odd, is that although I cannot hear audio guidance, the drivers side speakers shut-down as though the voice guidance feature is working. I tried shutting-off NAV, but the drivers side speakers were still toggling off, as though the NAV was still functional. So, I hit the Uconnect assist button on my rearview mirror... The UC rep had me go through the motions, but could not get the audio to operate. He recommended that I take it to Dodge. I sure hope this isn't a sign of things to come? I'm reading horror stories in regards to the 8.4 Uconnect system.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Let us know how it turns out. I still haven't decided if I will get the NAV on the Challenger or not. It's a kind of pricey option since they raised the price and the smart phones now do practically the same thing unless I'm missing something. I do like the NAV in my Mustang a little better than the phone as its louder and you can look at the screen easier, but not sure it is worth 1k extra if those are the only benefits.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let us know how it turns out. I still haven't decided if I will get the NAV on the Challenger or not. It's a kind of pricey option since they raised the price and the smart phones now do practically the same thing unless I'm missing something. I do like the NAV in my Mustang a little better than the phone as its louder and you can look at the screen easier, but not sure it is worth 1k extra if those are the only benefits.
Will do. The Ford NAV system in our 2014 FX4 is bulletproof! Not a single glitch in the 7 years that we've owned it. That's how products should be made. From what I understand, Dodge has had years to iron-out the issues with the head unit. I figured by getting a 2020 vehicle, we would have a better chance of avoiding issues... so far, this isn't the case. It may just be a software glitch, but like I said... nary an issue in 7 years with the Ford unit. We were going to get a new Jeep GC, but have since decided to just refurb the FX4.

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus in Granite Crystal Metallic
1,847 Posts
I have the NAV in my '16, but prefer to use the phone app. (More accurate as there is a fee to upgrade the maps from Uconnect) I stream music through bluetooth so the navigation audio superimposes over ALL the speakers.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
When it switched to NAV, you did try turning up the volume control I assume. The volume setting for NAV voice is separate from the other audio level set (at least in my 2015).

Reactions: 68Coronet

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
When I first got my Challenger, I thought there was something wrong with my left side speakers. They kept cutting out. I later learned while listening to music, map guidance commends would override only my left side speakers and the volume was so low, I couldn't hear it. I stopped using audible map commands. My guess is the volume of your map commands in very low. For some reason, it seems the volume is not the same as music.
I am sure this is your problem.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I said, I had all of the settings dialed-in for voice guidance... It worked for a minute of two, then fizzled-out.

Update: I decided to go into the menu system and reset the head unit. Oddly enough, you have to start from last selection, and then work your way up. I reset the system, and voice guidance is now operational. :)

When I tried to set the voice guidance volume (yesterday), it would only go up to 8? The stereo was also emitting a lot of static, along with random scaling of the volume level. Anyway, resetting the system worked. Why Uconnect didn't just ask me to reset the system is a mystery? Hey, any chance to avoid the dealership is good with me. I don't think half of those guys know what they're doing.

Note: When resetting the system, choose the last option first, then go to the next (middle) selection. No need to select the first option. I didn't anyway, and it worked.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts