Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Had my brake fluid and rear diff fluid changed per dealer recommendation on my '18 charger scat w/ 34k miles. When backing out and turning the diff literally sounds as though the tires are rubbing against the rear wheelwell. Definitely doesn't sound good. Taking it back in Monday morning. Anyone care to share their experience with this issue?

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,380 Posts
I can say my car had the rear diff replaced for the exact same thing about 5 months before I got it....at about the same mileage too by the way.

So be prepared...and try to get a clip as Trimec suggested....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Okay guys here is a quick audio file of the noise. All I did was sit my cell phone in the trunk and backed out of a parking space and made some half circle turns. Didn't even lock the wheel in the turns.

Listen to the audio here. <-- click the "download audio!" button to open audio file in new tab.

You can hear the diff noise progressively worsen once I reach 4 or 5 mph. Additionally you can hear some thuds back there... I didn't hit any bumps or pot holes or anything. Thats all rear diff noise.

Side note: I tried to upload an audio file directly but the forum tells me my .mpeg and .mp3 are unsupported files -- anyone know off hand what this site accepts so I can avoid this issue in the future?

At any rate, take a listen and let me know what you think.

·
Premium Member
12,543 Posts
I would say that they did I not add the LSD additive

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Yeah that’s a “disk slip grown” big time!...so if the noise wasn’t there before they touched it more then likely the additive didn’t make it in there

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would say that they did I not add the LSD additive
Sounds like they didn't add any fluid. At any rate, do any of you guys suspect damage or additional wear on the parts? Haven't driven it too much but probably have a couple hundred plus miles on it since the noise started.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
I had that noise for quite some time in my 15 R/T before I even took it in. Most clear in parking garages. My dealer replaced the diff fluid and it was gone. I don't know if it stayed gone as I traded it in on my Hellcat a couple of months later.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Should be okay. Mine started when I had the differential fluid changed. After a couple weeks of annoying noise, I ordered the sauce. Next weekend, backed up onto a pair of ramps and squirted it in. No problem since.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Go with a standard open differential. Smooth as silk operation, and runs cool. Unless you're driving in seriously nasty conditions, you don't need a LSD. Even then, an open differential with the traction control system is more than enough. McLaren uses open differentials on all of their vehicles.

·
Registered
591 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same noise about 2 months ago. Only when turning. Supposedly the fluid wasn't doing its job as there were bits of metal in it. The dealership replaced the whole differential at no cost.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: Took the car into the dealer. Turns out the Technician put the wrong rear differential fluid in. Service advisor admitted to the screw up. My receipts show different part numbers for the first differential fluid used followed by the correct one. Accidents happen and I understand that... However, on a 45k dollar car I paid good money for... That can be a pretty expensive F up. Especially if it caused undue wear and tear.

I probably put about 200 miles on it or less since the differential fluid swap. Mopar brothers and sisters in the know... How much wear or possible damage could this have caused? I will be contacting the service manager to launch a complaint. I don't want to over react but I definitely feel like something aught to be done thats for sure.

Lemme know what you think and thank you.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,380 Posts
Doubt you hurt it, but I would at LEAST make them do a full flush & refill, and have it documented as to what happened in case you have problems in the future with it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My rear diff was replaced under warranty had 20,000 miles. The lsd clutches were sticking

Star Case #S1721000003

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: spoke with the service manager today. Gave me the option to replace the diff. Discussed the fact that there is no real way of knowing what potential damaged was caused. With that said, they are gonna order a brand new differential for me early next week and replace it free of charge.

·
Premium Member
18,523 Posts
Update: spoke with the service manager today. Gave me the option to replace the diff. Discussed the fact that there is no real way of knowing what potential damaged was caused. With that said, they are gonna order a brand new differential for me early next week and replace it free of charge.
At least the case is documented which will help in the event of any future related damage which I hope never happens.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts