Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi yal! Been researching ways to increase horsepower my 2021 Scat Pack. Obviously a pro charger is the way to go but at $8k+ that's just not in my price range. So I bought a nitrous kit. Now I'm wondering what kind of breaks I need to accommodate this added hp. Any suggestions? I was thinking about SP Performance Diamond Slotted Rotors with Black Zinc Coating and PowerStop Z26 Extreme Street Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads. Any thoughts?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi yal! Been researching ways to increase horsepower my 2021 Scat Pack. Obviously a pro charger is the way to go but at $8k+ that's just not in my price range. So I bought a nitrous kit. Now I'm wondering what kind of breaks I need to accommodate this added hp. Any suggestions? I was thinking about SP Performance Diamond Slotted Rotors with Black Zinc Coating and PowerStop Z26 Extreme Street Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads. Any thoughts?
[/QUOTE
be careful with boost on the 6.4L
be careful with boost on the 6.4L
I'm learning everything as I go by researching everything to death. Why do you say be careful with the nitrous on a 6.4 L?

· Registered
2011 SXT Pw7 Bright White Challenger
5,058 Posts
Rebuild the Whole Engine with Forged Parts and you can still destroy it. Many Cars at drag strips blow engines with Nitrous.
Also you will find using reg 89 octane fuel will give you knocks...

· Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
60,848 Posts
Rebuild the Whole Engine with Forged Parts and you can still destroy it. Many Cars at drag strips blow engines with Nitrous.
Also you will find using reg 89 octane fuel will give you knocks...
Why would he use 89 in a Scat Pack?

· Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
5,128 Posts
So I bought a nitrous kit.
So what kit did you buy? Link to the kit please?

I also considered Nitrous but after much research decided not to go that route.

Have you already gotten an unlocked ECM and gotten a tune, because there is plenty of power that Dodge has left on the table, maybe high flow cats and a good tune will give you the extra power you need?

Or are you going to race the car?

Welcome from South Carolina.

Reactions: James72

· Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
1,165 Posts
Good to know! Thx! How can I modify that to accommodate the heat?
BGE 426 Hemi build or a 6.2L swap. Seriously anything short of a rebuild for boost, forged internals and opening up the ring gap or just run a 6lb Magnuson set up (super)

I run 10lbs on my 5.7L with a Whipple, 10lbs would kill a stock 6.4L

· Registered
522 Posts
Your car, your money, do what you want!

If you are going to tear apart a motor to reconfigure the internals for nitrous, I would suggest doing it on older Scat Pack that is already out of warranty. You are tossing a lot of 'new car value' off the table by doing this to a 2021 model. The upgrade costs will be pretty much the same, and the buy-in cost for the vehicle will be significantly less.

Either that, or only do a small shot and make the system fully removable. Minimize the risk of problems with a stock motor, and something that can be easily yanked out if the car has to go in for warranty work.

· Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
5,638 Posts
In regards to the NOS system...no need to worry about the brakes. I'd leave the car stock or make mods that won't blow your factory drivetrain warranty. Don't install the nitrous kit. Makes no sense whatsoever in what you are doing to a new factory warranted car unless you enjoy making risky decisions without any knowledge in doing so. Add in the fact that you will then pay (out of your own pocket) for all the engine (and possibly other drivetrain damage) that will occur in short order if you try to take advantage of the nitrous system and I'd say what you plan on doing is not a very wise decision. You should save yourself some time and money and buy and trade that Scat in on a nice non-modified late model used Hellcat with some warranty left on it. Welcome to the forum...

• Helpful
Reactions: James72

· Registered
2022 Scat Pack Shaker
445 Posts
Welcome from Texas!! Gotta chime in with the rest and say nitrous is a waste on that car. Will be destroying it. Better to get an older model or up grade to a hellcat.

· Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
5,128 Posts
@tamaracontino516

Question: Just out of sheer curiosity, no offense intended.

Most 392 Scat Pack owners are very satisfied with it's performance power and openly share that here at the forum, some of us that performance modify our 5.7L R/Ts are doing it to reach the 392 power level. You have a 2021 392 and are dissatisfied with it's power level enough to buy a nitrous kit for it, did you buy the right power level of Challenger in the first place?

· Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
5,638 Posts
Just did an off-site search...Op had the same question over on the CT forum last Fall using the same username. At that time the OP had a 5.7 R/T and asked about increasing power in it. Supercharger was recommended and OP said too expensive for that. More concerned about $$ I from the way it sounded - (same as here). They recommended the OP should get a Scat or Hellcat if OP wanted more horsepower as it would be cheaper in the long run. Now it seems the OP (using the same username) is over on our forum and has bought a Scat and a nitrous system and wants still more horsepower once again. Just signed up yesterday coincidently as well. I consider this a waste of time (at least for me) as they'll show up somewhere down the road with a Hellcat or Demon and ask about power-adders for those too. Carry on...maybe I'll be proven wrong, if so, cheers to our new member. :)

· Registered
2020 Hellcat Redeye Widebody
3,101 Posts
Which of you Nitrous Knockers has actual first hand experience with Nitrous and, What was your experience? Just Curious.

I had a 100 shot N20 kit on my 86 IROC Z....it was a waste....not enough to even notice, and it did cause some issues, like popping thru the intake and taking out the mass air sensor.

It was a kit that came with pre-matched jets, so all you did was plumb it in. I eventually took it off and sold it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts