Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I go to get into my Challenger to drive to work. Started up got all buckled in and went to put it in reverse. It would not let it go into gear, like something was blocking it. Anyone ever have this problem? I've had my Hurst shifter in for nearly 4 months now and have never had any problems with it. I also drove it Saturday with no problems either.

Aside from that, I couldn't get my 68 going this morning either nor my Harley so it's been a hell of a day. I'd like to have one dependable vehicle. :shakehead:

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,687 Posts
Could be time to replace the clutch or it may be worn bushings in the shift linkage. How many miles on your Challenger?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
22K. It's like there is a block stopping it going into reverse. All other gears work fine.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,687 Posts
Only 22k miles is not a lot to have either component fail. Call your dealership, describe your situation, and hopefully it will be covered under the powertrain warranty. You should still be just within the 5 year limit.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was hoping i wouldn't have to deal with the dealer. I'll have to get it towed or pulled out of my driveway. Sucks because reverse worked on Saturday. I backed out of a parking spot at the grocery store less than 2 miles from my house.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my Chrysler 300 a few years ago. I know they're not the same vehicle, but they're both in the Chrysler/Dodge family. I had to have it towed to the dealership and my car wasn't the only one it's happened to. I don't remember off hand what the problem is. Once I get off work I'll look through my repair work and see what it was. Unfortunately, you may have to go see the dealership. Good luck on figuring it out.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,566 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my Chrysler 300 a few years ago. I know they're not the same vehicle, but they're both in the Chrysler/Dodge family. I had to have it towed to the dealership and my car wasn't the only one it's happened to. I don't remember off hand what the problem is. Once I get off work I'll look through my repair work and see what it was. Unfortunately, you may have to go see the dealership. Good luck on figuring it out.
You probably were a victim of the "pink thingy" as it's called. Don't know if it's been reengineered, but a lot of the earlier LX cars with automatics had a little pink plastic pawl in the shifter mechanism that would fail locking the trans in park. BT made a billet piece that would replace the pink piece to eliminate that problem. I replaced mine in my Magnum before it failed.

BTW, the OP was having problems with a 6 speed.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Drove it yesterday and today with no problems. :4-dontknow: We'll see if it happens again. I'll be cautious not to park in places that I might have no choice but to back out of.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts