Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did a quick search, and didn't find what i needed. i have a chance to purchase a 2nd challenger. its an 09 r/t classic 5.7 hemi. but, there are metal shavings in the engine. owner says that he had taken it to the dealer and they had removed the heads, or something like that. now, my question is, do i get the car and have the dealer pay for the new engine or do i get the car and go hog wild on it.....or, don't even bother. the car is otherwise pristine. thanks all

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Go hog wild. Do a forged bottom end and some NOS or Supercharger. I like spending other peoples money. LOL

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
If you're asking about the 2009 Challenger Powertrain "Lifetime Warranty" cancelling itself once the Title Transfer happens from the original owner to you:
The answer is Yes.

But, The original owner could or should ride it out... Meaning; have the dealership either replace any parts effected by the metal shavings, or have the motor rebuilt, or replace the entire motor.

Once that title changes there is no more warranty, it's on you.

I experienced issues with my 2009 Challenger motor (at 171,000 miles), and the first dealership (in Dallas, TX) did a complete rebuild searching for the Tip of a (stock Mopar) Spark Plug. Ironically; 18 months later the same exact thing happened. This time it happened while I was in California (at 230,000 miles), and I took it to a dealership in Cerritos, Cali.
The dealership procrastinated about performing the work. They said I was the second owner and NOT the original owner... I explained to them about when I purchased the Challenger through my credit union it was put in my wifes name, because I had purchased a Chrysler 300 Limited for her the year before, and it was put in my name. So, I contacted Detroit and they said; it's the same household and it happens all the time; Mopar in Detroit approved the work. The dealership performed shotty work and my motor was never functional after that. Along with that nugget of information I lost my warranty coverage while it was going in & out of their shop (because the car was not road worthy to drive to Dallas). I spent $$$ thousands of dollars on every part ATTACHED to the motor. So, they GOT ME! Btw; my motor lost it's Warranty while in their shop (it has to be renewed every 5 years, or something like that).

I didn't press them or argue. Instead, I had my car transported from Cali back to Texas for the work to be done RIGHT. It's waiting for a Crate Motor now.

I do intent to throw SHADE on that dealership once my Crate 5.7L arrives. It will get a Performance Cam and such.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
627 Posts
That metal had to come from somewhere and if it made it to the oil pan so I'd have the engine rebuilt. Then it depends if you want to build a race car or dependable daily driver or a mildly breathed upon street car.

The guys at American Muscle Performance in Pompano Beach are right in your backyard and definitely know how to get the most out of modern Hemi engines.

Reactions: Thegreekmason

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
No offense to anyone but I would not touch a 2009, there's been too many overall changes to the Challenger through the years to go back that far, metal in the engine will be the least of your concerns. Changes to the drive line and how it bolts up to the differential, the driveshaft, transmission improvement, engine lifters, etc., but it is your money.

·
Registered
549 Posts
This is one of those "it depends on...things. I'll assume the price of the car is more than reasonable or it wouldn't be a consideration...especially since you are undecided about what to do with it.

Hopefully the dealer did more than just pull the heads but the fact that they started with that leads me to believe that this is an A5 MDS car. Early MDS issues are prevalent and well documented. While those issues have since been rectified there are fixes for the early ones aside from frequent oil and filter changes. I wouldn't suspect this as the problem, though, since they usually announce themselves with unexpected catastrophic failure. The techs should have already analyzed the shaving material and therefore know its source and probable cause and informed the owner. Possibly there's a bit more story to tell?

With a bad engine in an unusually nice car I'd be looking at crate engines. Options from mild to wild that accommodate almost any pocketbook are available from Mopar, Edelbrock, Arrington and a host of others. Could turn into a nice project car and a great street toy.

·
Registered
705 Posts
did a quick search, and didn't find what i needed. i have a chance to purchase a 2nd challenger. its an 09 r/t classic 5.7 hemi. but, there are metal shavings in the engine. owner says that he had taken it to the dealer and they had removed the heads, or something like that. now, my question is, do i get the car and have the dealer pay for the new engine or do i get the car and go hog wild on it.....or, don't even bother. the car is otherwise pristine. thanks all
Owner is not giving you all the information. The dealer is not going to pay for a new engine if you get the car. I would pass. Look for a newer car. By the time you do everything you need to do on this one, you’ll have spent enough money to get a much newer car.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Don't even bother. An engine with metal shavings in it is not a good rebuild candidate. So you would be facing sourcing a new (factory stock) engine to go hog wild on or source a suitable used engine for going hog wild on.

BTW, with the engine in the condition implied the car is a roller at best and rollers go for a lot less than a used car with a running/healthy engine.

If the car has a life time warranty the current owner would be better off getting the engine dealt with under this warranty then afterwards putting the car on the market if he doesn't want to keep the car.

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the answers, esp IZ, didn't know there was a mopar performace shop in pompano. anyway, it seems the owner of the car had his son try and fix it using youtube videos, and that the metal shavings were from that fix. he then took the car to the dealer who pulled the heads and the pan, found so much shavings that they could have built a new crank shaft from them, this is all from the service department manager that i spoke to, i found out where they had taken the car from the notice found in the back seat foot well. the car is beautiful, and the price is ridiculously low, that is the only reason i was thinking about going for it. but, like all the posts here had mentioned, for the amount of money i would be shelling out, i could just get a newer project car. thank you everybody for your answers.

Reactions: Wizard Of Iz

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
627 Posts
thanks for all the answers, esp IZ, didn't know there was a mopar performace shop in pompano. ....
You're certainly welcome. Their website isn't great and they rarely post videos on YouTube ... but there's a video on Facebook of a Charger with a 5.7 that pulls the front tires up on launch.

American Muscle Performance is in the same office/warehouse/garage complex as DownForce Solutions so that complex is like a candy store for Mopar fans. I rode down with a buddy who was getting a splitter put on his Charger and we wandered over to American Muscle Performance just to kill time. We could have hung out all night!

Reactions: Thegreekmason
1 - 10 of 10 Posts