Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up brothas... So tonight I installed a K&N CAI system on my 09 challenger RT and I must say...I am not thrilled with the result. I have installed many of these systems on past vehicles...including my Jeep 5.7 and they were all much better, as a result. But after a test drive, I would say that the space allotted for the filter is no more "open" that the stock box... the air it is receiving is just as hot as it normally would be. And you are certainly not getting the air from below, unless you cut something out. Has anybody else experienced this?

-=[ BIshop ]=-

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat, 6 Speed Manual
1,103 Posts
I wasn't thrilled with the fitment and having to bend ac line for the box to fit. Like yourself I have had many kandn's and always liked however for our vehicles they didn't do their homework. Go with a LMI legmaker or frankentake. Cost a little more, have better performance and fit is much better.

·
Now that was dumb!
6,003 Posts
After installing and having a CAI on my Challenger R/T you may be surprised to know just dropping a K&N high flow high performance air filter does the same thing. That's what I have now on my SRT. Does very well and works on same principle as the CAI. Only difference is the K&N high flow filter is flat and not a truncated cone. IMHO a CAI is basically for looks.

But as always to each his own.

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,368 Posts
I had one before my shaker hood install. I found it worked much better once I removed the rear resonators.. air was getting in and out a little easier... Top of 3rd gear on up was very noticeable to me... Ran a 13.5 quarter at 107, with wheel hop... with just those two mods...

Reactions: Home Theater Guy

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat, 6 Speed Manual
1,103 Posts
After installing and having a CAI on my Challenger R/T you may be surprised to know just dropping a K&N high flow high performance air filter does the same thing. That's what I have now on my SRT. Does very well and works on same principle as the CAI. Only difference is the K&N high flow filter is flat and not a truncated cone. IMHO a CAI is basically for looks.

But as always to each his own.
Most know they are for looks and sound only plus a few bumps in horse. I know on the two I have had, the intake that has resonator on it, the CAI really makes it sound better esp. at WOT.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I've read endless internet stuff on CAI's. My conclusion is they add between 0 and 10 hp. I think at one time, several years ago they might have had more impact but OEM have improved the design where they aren't restrictive anymore.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,643 Posts
Yeah, I installed my LMI CAI for the looks mostly, the improved engine note was mostly from removing the engine cover and getting rid of the stock air tube with the resonator/silencer box. I've not noticed in increase in power other than the imaginings of my butt-dyno, LOL.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I had the K&N and was also disappointed with the design. I purchased the Mopar CAI which is designed much better. It comes with the same shoot that pull the air from below.Plus the quality and looks are far superior. Old saying. You get what you pay for!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys... I'll tell ya what I would LIKE to do...and that is to somehow get the air catcher headlights that the hellcat has. If I were to have a hole exactly where that headlight is...that thing would breathe easy all day long. Any word on getting those headlights for something as old as an 09' ?

·
Registered
190 Posts
My K&N filter does not fit well enough and constantly falls off and needs retightened constantly. Ive always used them, but this is there worst product.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
I used a K&N filter in my stock airbox for a couple years, got better mileage, maybe picked up a few hp not sure, didn't feel too much different. Bought a used SRT airbox and put the K&N filter in that and it definitely woke up in the higher RPM's and sounded cooler. Found a used LMI Frankentake IV on Craigslist for $150 and bought that. Again felt a little better and sounded louder than the SRT airbox. The fitment is good, just the air filter hangs down a little low and rubs on the inner fender hole cutout, so I sliced up some vacuum hose and fit it around that sharp edge and it works great now. Now if it rubs it's on rubber and not metal. Looks really cool too.

I looked at some K&N CAI's in person and wasn't too sold on the overall look or quality of the fitment. The Mopar CAI looks pretty sharp too. I just tried to buy one used because I felt $400 for a piece of plastic tubing and a filter was ridiculous. Even $150 is kind of a rip to me. But I guess if you spent $30K+ on the car itself you should be able to swing a few hundred more for some mods haha!

Reactions: Dodgeguy

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
The Mopar tube is not plastic it's metal
When I was installing the Mopar CAI I definitely felt it was worth the extra money
Not disapointed at all, it looks and it sounds great.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Yeah I know, just stating that in general $400 for a tube and filter is kind of ridiculous. I've bought lots of ridiculous things in my lifetime, not poking fun at anyone, just must have one killer profit margin on those CAI's for our cars haha!

·
Registered
234 Posts
When I got my Mopar T/A hood I went with the Mopar CAI and also did the kit to make the hood fully functional. I love it! Looks great and sounds good to.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I always wondered this, if you have a metal tube, won't the engine heat warm up the tube which warms up the air? Making it not cold air coming in?

Would the plastic tube be any better do to this?

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I believe you can cut a hole in the bottom of the air box to draw in air from below. The air box that came with my Cervini's Ram Air Kit w/K&N Filter has a 3" hole in the bottom. I was told that it helps during idling. I wanted more draw at the hood scoops so I restricted the opening down another 1-1/2". I didn't notice any performance drop off.
By the looks of your CAI box it seems to be pretty tall and close to the hood with little else around the perimeter to draw any air from let alone cold air.
So, yes I think cutting a hole in the bottom may improve things.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
636 Posts
I went with the Mopar CAI purely as a visual upgrade. The stock airbox is really pretty efficient.

This might be sacrilege in some circles ...... but I think K&N products are over-rated. I've never had a K&N product that I was happy with. I had a K&N drop-in in my '99 Pontiac Gran Prix GTP and ended up with codes. Tried a K&N oil filter in the same car and the filter leaked around the nut --- and, no, I did not tighten the filter by the nut. And, I've heard/seen the same fitment issues on their Challenger CAI's that y'all are talking about.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I had the K&N and was also disappointed with the design. I purchased the Mopar CAI which is designed much better. It comes with the same shoot that pull the air from below.Plus the quality and looks are far superior. Old saying. You get what you pay for!!
I agree! Had K&N on my 09 R/T. Went with MOPAR for the SRT.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts