Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Now For Those Sweet Rear End Shots

138K views 2K replies 183 participants last post by  Derecho 
#1 ·
It's winter, what else can we do? Post up your best two rear end shots! Here are mine:
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Performance car Sports car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Muscle car

See less See more
#1,481 ·
Watchin' A Live Stream In Pontiac
Photo By: Derecho | Date Taken: April 24th, 2023 @ 1:18 pm
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

#1,487 ·
Riviera Roadhouse Rendezvous
Location: Route 66 North of Gardner, IL | Venue: Former Restaurant Location
Photo By: Derecho | Date Taken: April 24, 2023 @ 11:21 am

Cloud Tire Sky Car Wheel
Cloud Tire Sky Car Wheel

Destroyed by fire in 2010, The Riviera Roadhouse stood at the wooded junction of Old 66 and the Mazon River, just northeast of Gardner, IL. Building it was the longtime dream of businessman Jim Girot. In 1927, just as Illinois Route 66 was being paved through the area, he was able to buy the land. Instead of building from scratch, he bought the payroll office from a coal mine in South Wilmington, IL and a former church in Gardner and proceeded to moved them to the site and joined them together. The result was what was known as the Riviera. The Riviera was a true roadhouse in every sense of the word. Once movie legends Gene Kelly and Tom Mix regularly stopped there and it was also a favorite haunt of Al Capone and was known as a gangster hangout as well. Slot machines and booze were offered to the "discrete" customer during prohibition. There was also a freezer in the basement with a heavy iron door that was used to hide booze and gambling machines in case of a raid.

In 1932, a century old horse drawn Streetcar/Diner was added to the backyard of the property. A zoo and gas station were also added to the Riviera’s complex. Jim Girot, his wife Rose and their children Irene, Violet, Larry and Lillian moved there in 1928 and members of the family lived there and operated the restaurant until it was sold to Bob and Peggy Kraft in 1973.

Bob and Peggy were transplants from Chicago. They’d owned two taverns up north and took over the Riviera as a “retirement” job. They continued serving up the Riviera’s long-time menu of steaks, chops and spaghetti. The Krafts didn’t change much else at the Riviera either. In the tradition of German rathskellers, the main restaurant was in the basement. The dumbwaiter between the restaurant and the kitchen upstairs remained an actual WWI artillery shell. The payroll office safe was used as a cooler. The Krafts operated the Riviera until retiring for real in 2008. Shortly thereafter, in 2009, it was sold to a gentleman from Joliet who reopened it for a year or so before closing it once more. Sadly, on June 8, 2010, the Riviera burned to the ground and was lost forever. Today, the former location of the Riviera Roadhouse is marked with a simple sign and photo op platform that highlights this once great Route 66 roadie stop. The Streetcar/Diner escaped the fire and is now located in the town of Gardner as a Route 66 Attraction and it is situated next to their vintage two-cell stone jailhouse.

Here's an interesting fact - - Back in the 1980's my parents had one of their Anniversary parties at The Riviera, so I actually have somewhat of a personal connection to the Riviera. Thanks for reading my little add-on story related to the photo above!

#1,489 ·
Outstanding! You can put photos like that up all day long Betty. A rumble of thunder in the foreground AND in the background...

#1,490 · (Edited)
Fillin' Up With The Good Stuff
Location: Route 66 in Williamsville, Illinois | Venue: Vintage Gas Station
Photo By: Derecho | Date Taken: November 20, 2021 @ 4:05 pm

#1,496 · (Edited)
#1,493 ·
It's totally messed up now...even some showcased albums missing images and show missing images error icons. The admins know about it and hopefully the web tech's will patch things up soon. I'm watching Grandkids all day but I'll check in every so often...

#1,498 ·
1888 Evergreen Memorial Cemetery Vault
Venue: Historical Cemetery/Route 66 Attraction
Photo By: Derecho | Date Taken: June 4, 2023 @ 2:38pm

Geo Code Location: 40°28'12.1"N 88°59'20.2"W

The Bloomington Cemetery Vault in Bloomington, IL is a carefully preserved piece of McLean County history. It is a large gray stone structure with 1888 deeply engraved on it’s front. Before the day of mechanical digging equipment, the vault was used to store remains in the winter months when the frozen ground was too hard to dig. The vault is designed to hold 6 caskets, but large enough to accommodate several more if it was needed. Depending on how harsh the winter was, cemetery grounds crews could have a big job on their hands come spring! The Vault was in use from Sunday, Jan 1, 1888 to Friday, December 31, 1920. [I haven't a clue as to what caused the erie stains in the stonework on this - age or ??.]

#1,500 ·
Right Up My Alley
Location: Pontiac, Illinois | Venue: Alley Behind The Route 66 Association of Illinois Hall of Fame and Museum
Photo's By: Derecho | Date Taken: April 4, 2023 @ 12:07pm

A Treat for the Sweet...
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

#1,504 ·
Poundin' the Bricks Again
Old Route 66, 5435 Snell Rd, Auburn, Illinois
Venue: Historical Route 66 Attraction
Photo By: Derecho | Date Taken: June 16, 2023

Tire Sky Wheel Car Land vehicle
Tire Automotive parking light Cloud Wheel Sky
Tire Sky Wheel Car Land vehicle
Tire Automotive parking light Cloud Wheel Sky

#1,505 ·
Rear shot with world famous Tony Packo's restaurant in background. Went to Packo's for lunch today.
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

#1,509 ·
315/35-20 on 11” wide.

View attachment 330035
That's got "The Look" - NICE! Your photo leads me to think you are in the Midwest (Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio) - would that be a fair guess? The reason I ask is because that scenery is what I see around here in Illinois when cruising around this time of year.

#1,516 ·
Tranquility
Venue: Historical Cemetery/Route 66 Attraction
Photo By: Derecho | Date Taken: June 4, 2023 @ 2:27pm
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle