Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Never...you believe in the bubble you're living in. LOL

Votes: 1 3.3%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I must be old school...manual indicates oil change at 10K.

Not me...
What mileage interval are you changing at?

1. 10K
2. 5K
3. as needed
4. Never-Bubble world!

Please vote in the poll.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
I change mine between 3,000-4,000 miles usually, so I picked 5K on your poll. I use conventional Valvoline 5W20. If I used synthetic oil then maybe I'll push it up to 5,000-6,000 miles since it'll last a little longer.

Either way, there's no way I'd wait until 10,000 miles to change out the oil and filter. I know the oil is much better these days than years ago, but it's so cheap/easy to change it out it just seems like an easy way to ensure your engine will last a long time and be free of sludge and gunk.

·
Registered
207 Posts
It is my humble opinion to follow the owners manual. There are some pretty smart guys who designed these cars and I will admit that I am not as smart as they are so if they say when and how to change the oil, I am going to follow what they say.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,683 Posts
3000 miles or at least twice a year. Since I'm currently averaging 6000 miles a year, this is working out for me. My maintenance exceeds the recommendations found in the owner's manual, but I don't worry about that.

From page 237 of the owner's manual:

Engine Oil Change Indicator System

Oil Change Required

Your vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change
indicator system. The “Oil Change Required” message
will flash in the EVIC display for approximately 10 seconds
after a single chime has sounded, to indicate the
next scheduled oil change interval. The engine oil change
indicator system is duty cycle based, which means the
engine oil change interval may fluctuate, dependent
upon your personal driving style.

Unless reset, this message will continue to display each
time you turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN
position or cycle the ignition to the ON/RUN position if
equipped with Keyless Enter-N-Go™. To turn off the
message temporarily, press and release the MENU button.
To reset the oil change indicator system (after
performing the scheduled maintenance) refer to the following
procedure.

From page 445 of the owner's manual:

NOTE:Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or twelve months,
whichever occurs first.

Engine Oil Selection

For best performance and maximum protection under all
types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only
recommends engine oils that are API Certified and meet
the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I was waiting for my light to come on but it never did, changed it at 5,000 regardless. Just now sneaking up on 10k and will change it again soon. :smileup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Old school here 2500 and out with the old and in with the new. ALWAYS!
I have a 92 beamer i bougt new wich now has 295,000 miles on her and she runs great, no smoking and good power still. I have changes the oil @2500 miles every time. It's not broke so i will not fix it. As stated above there is alot of "smart" pepole building our vehicles now day's but i can assure you a 2500 oil change can do nothing but improve the odds against premature wear in our engines.

·
Premium Member
9,088 Posts
Old school here 2500 and out with the old and in with the new. ALWAYS!
I have a 92 beamer i bougt new wich now has 295,000 miles on her and she runs great, no smoking and good power still. I have changes the oil @2500 miles every time. It's not broke so i will not fix it. As stated above there is alot of "smart" pepole building our vehicles now day's but i can assure you a 2500 oil change can do nothing but improve the odds against premature wear in our engines.
Where I'm not quite has (insert whatever word won't offend...lol) has you are I completly agree with what you are saying here. Those "smart" guys are only worried about that 100K warranty period being met. This can be done at 10K or 12 month oil changes I'm sure....but what if you are keeping this car and want 200K or more....THAT'S NOT what they care about!!! They WANT people to be buying new...not keeping the old.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
4,00 miles for me with synthetic oil and filter. I picked 5K on your poll since it was closest option.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,433 Posts
I'm with Carl on this one, 3,000 miles and especially since I don't use synthetic oill.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
3,000 with Synthetic.

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
ever since the cars started coming out with the self warning system, I change the oil when the car tells me it's time. As said earlier, the people building these things are way smarter than me and from my understanding, the car considers mileage, driving conditions, load etc and it decides when it's time for a change. I use synthetic in all my vehicles and I've never had an issue following this philosophy. Why spend the extra money if not needed?

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,653 Posts
Every 3000-4000 with synthetic, with heat and dusty conditions here. 3k in summer months 4k in winter.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Just Like most of us here I change mine every 3 to 4 thousand miles. I run Royal Purple snythetic. Yes it is a pricer oil change but for what I have in invested in the vehicle it's a small price to pay. If you really don't want to or care about such things one should buy a Honda or other throw-away vehicle.

·
Premium Member
9,088 Posts
ever since the cars started coming out with the self warning system, I change the oil when the car tells me it's time. As said earlier, the people building these things are way smarter than me and from my understanding, the car considers mileage, driving conditions, load etc and it decides when it's time for a change. I use synthetic in all my vehicles and I've never had an issue following this philosophy. Why spend the extra money if not needed?
This is true....if you don't plan on keeping the car much over 100k....you're just giving the next owner your money.

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
I have 130,000 miles on my Acura MDX and 120,000 on my TL and I've never had any ounce of issue with them.

maybe I'm lucky..but at the same time I put lots of faith in the engineers making the recommendations and always use synthetic oil.

·
Premium Member
18,467 Posts
From page 445 of the owner's manual:

NOTE:Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or twelve months,
whichever occurs first.
Interesting how the mileage and time frame has changed from '09 to '13.

Page 373 of my manual states " Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 6,000 miles (10,000km) or six months,whichever occurs first."

1 - 20 of 37 Posts