Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just got an oil change and am curious on the intervals for me car. I got the car in with 2% oil life left due. I have went off of the system in my Camaro, but was wondering how accurate it is on the challenger. The sticker the dodge dealer has a 5k interval, and I went 5900 miles before I hit 2% left. I am on conventional oil, and was just wondering if 5900 was too long, and I should go with the dealers recommendation, or follow my cars system.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
568 Posts
The computer does a good job of signaling when to change your oil. Never hurts to do it early.

Which model do you have?

The 392/6.4 calls for the oil to be changed at least every 6,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. It also calls for Full Synthetic 0W-40. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, Amsoil Signature, Valvoline Full Synthetic, and Schaeffer’s (perhaps others) all meet Dodge’s spec.

The 345/5.7 (and I think the 3.6) calls for the oil to be changed at least every 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. It uses 5W-20 and left the factory with conventional engine oil. Though I choose to run Full Synthetic in the 345/5.7 in our Durango.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The computer does a good job of signaling when to change your oil. Never hurts to do it early.

Which model do you have?

The 392/6.4 calls for the oil to be changed at least every 6,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. It also calls for Full Synthetic 0W-40. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, Amsoil Signature, Valvoline Full Synthetic, and Schaeffer’s (perhaps others) all meet Dodge’s spec.

The 345/5.7 (and I think the 3.6) calls for the oil to be changed at least every 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. It uses 5W-20 and left the factory with conventional engine oil. Though I choose to run Full Synthetic in the 345/5.7 in our Durango.
Hey thanks for the answer, I just got around to seeing this. I have the 5.7, and plan to change to synthetic my next oil change. I was just making sure 5900 miles wasn't overboard, as I'm trying to avoid warranty problems if it arises. Was very confused cause I saw anywhere from 3k-10k.

·
Registered
257 Posts
With conventional oil I changed it every 4k. I just switched to synthetic in mine last week so not sure how long I'll go with that.
5 to 7K I guess (or if the oil life indicator gets low) but think I'll hit a calendar year before those Miles and I'll change it before the Miles come up.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2016 Go Mango Scat Pack
27,157 Posts
Hey thanks for the answer, I just got around to seeing this. I have the 5.7, and plan to change to synthetic my next oil change. I was just making sure 5900 miles wasn't overboard, as I'm trying to avoid warranty problems if it arises. Was very confused cause I saw anywhere from 3k-10k.
I wouldn't personally go over 6 months on the oil change, even if the miles aren't up to the the recommended miles. I would never wait a year to change the oil. I had a 5.7 Hemi before, but never went a year for an oil change. This isn't the most expensive thing to do, so better to be safe on this.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hey guys, I just got an oil change and am curious on the intervals for me car. I got the car in with 2% oil life left due. I have went off of the system in my Camaro, but was wondering how accurate it is on the challenger. The sticker the dodge dealer has a 5k interval, and I went 5900 miles before I hit 2% left. I am on conventional oil, and was just wondering if 5900 was too long, and I should go with the dealers recommendation, or follow my cars system.
I wouldnt go that many miles on conventional oil. 3000 is usually the max for conventional. Hard driving/racing even less. Synthetic can go 5000 miles unless driving hard. If you drive normal and dont race then go with 3k conventional or 5k synthetic. Racing or driving hard would require more frequently changes. Ive changed oil in a month before, but that is beating on it and racing weekly. Get a quality filter also. I run the srt filters from dodge because of the drain back valve they use.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't personally go over 6 months on the oil change, even if the miles aren't up to the the recommended miles. I would never wait a year to change the oil. I had a 5.7 Hemi before, but never went a year for an oil change. This isn't the most expensive thing to do, so better to be safe on this.

My challenger is a 2019, this was my first oil change, and it was 4 months since I bought my car. I would never go a year, I'm more confused on the actual oil change interval. Even in this form it is anywhere from 3k-10k. I'm confused to why the dealers recommendation is 5k on conventional, and if i should follow my cars oil life.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldnt go that many miles on conventional oil. 3000 is usually the max for conventional. Hard driving/racing even less. Synthetic can go 5000 miles unless driving hard. If you drive normal and dont race then go with 3k conventional or 5k synthetic. Racing or driving hard would require more frequently changes. Ive changed oil in a month before, but that is beating on it and racing weekly. Get a quality filter also. I run the srt filters from dodge because of the drain back valve they use.
3k oil changes or less seems pretty unreasonable in today's world.

·
Premium Member
9,012 Posts
MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE — 3.6L AND 5.7L

Your vehicle is equipped with an automatic oil change indicator system. The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.

Based on engine operation conditions, the oil change indicator message will illuminate. This means that service is required for your vehicle. Operating conditions such as frequent short-trips, trailer tow, extremely hot or cold ambient temperatures, and E85 fuel usage will influence when the “Change Oil” or “Oil Change Required” message is displayed. Severe Operating Conditions can cause the change oil message to illuminate as early as 3,500 miles (5,600 km) since last reset. Have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km).

The message “Oil Change Required” will be displayed in the DID and a single chime will sound, indicating that an oil change is necessary.

Your authorized dealer will reset the oil change indicator message after completing the scheduled oil change. If a scheduled oil change is performed by someone other than your authorized dealer, the message can be reset by referring to the steps described under “Driver Information Display (DID)” in “Understanding Your Instrument Panel” for further information.

NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or twelve months, whichever comes first.

Severe Duty All Models

Change Engine Oil at 4000 miles (6,500 km) if the vehicle is operated in a dusty and off road environment. This type of vehicle use is considered Severe Duty

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE — 3.6L AND 5.7L

Your vehicle is equipped with an automatic oil change indicator system. The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.

Based on engine operation conditions, the oil change indicator message will illuminate. This means that service is required for your vehicle. Operating conditions such as frequent short-trips, trailer tow, extremely hot or cold ambient temperatures, and E85 fuel usage will influence when the “Change Oil” or “Oil Change Required” message is displayed. Severe Operating Conditions can cause the change oil message to illuminate as early as 3,500 miles (5,600 km) since last reset. Have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km).

The message “Oil Change Required” will be displayed in the DID and a single chime will sound, indicating that an oil change is necessary.

Your authorized dealer will reset the oil change indicator message after completing the scheduled oil change. If a scheduled oil change is performed by someone other than your authorized dealer, the message can be reset by referring to the steps described under “Driver Information Display (DID)” in “Understanding Your Instrument Panel” for further information.

NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or twelve months, whichever comes first.

Severe Duty All Models

Change Engine Oil at 4000 miles (6,500 km) if the vehicle is operated in a dusty and off road environment. This type of vehicle use is considered Severe Duty
Thank you for this. I will start changing the oil every 5k miles as this seems like my best option lol

·
Registered
351 Posts
3k oil changes or less seems pretty unreasonable in today's world.
You spend 30k-50k on a car. 3k oil changes isnt unreasonable especially if your running conventional oil, which is wrong for either engine. The ecu in the v8's wants synthetic. It will hold a code for improper oil. Then when you go to the dealer and want warranty work, they have grounds to deny you because of improper oil. Im a tech and work on cars every day. Seen many run oil past where it should have been changed. Then they wonder why the engine has failures. Rockers are known to fail in the 3.6 and lifters in the v8. So to you it might seem unreasonable but even like the next poster stated dodge wants it done at 3500. Oil gets contaminated and doesnt do its job well over time. Better to be early then late and pay out the a$$ in the long run.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You spend 30k-50k on a car. 3k oil changes isnt unreasonable especially if your running conventional oil, which is wrong for either engine. The ecu in the v8's wants synthetic. It will hold a code for improper oil. Then when you go to the dealer and want warranty work, they have grounds to deny you because of improper oil. Im a tech and work on cars every day. Seen many run oil
You spend 30k-50k on a car. 3k oil changes isnt unreasonable especially if your running conventional oil, which is wrong for either engine. The ecu in the v8's wants synthetic. It will hold a code for improper oil. Then when you go to the dealer and want warranty work, they have grounds to deny you because of improper oil. Im a tech and work on cars every day. Seen many run oil past where it should have been changed. Then they wonder why the engine has failures. Rockers are known to fail in the 3.6 and lifters in the v8. So to you it might seem unreasonable but even like the next poster stated dodge wants it done at 3500. Oil gets contaminated and doesnt do its job well over time. Better to be early then late and pay out the a$$ in the long run.
Not gonna lie you got me worried man lol, I baby this car to the max, and just assumed following the oil life indicator was safe. Now you have me wanting to go sell my car as I feel I've ruined my warranty lmao. May look into getting a srt sooner than later now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you think my car would be okay though, in all honestly I thought my car only took synthetic until I took it to get the oil changed. If you feel I have messed up my warranty, or could of caused any damage I will trade in my car soon.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I personally don’t believe in 3000 mile or 5000 mile oil changes. Why use high dollar synthetic oil and dump it early? I also don’t see a problem with convent oil as long as it meets spec.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I personally don’t believe in 3000 mile or 5000 mile oil changes. Why use high dollar synthetic oil and dump it early? I also don’t see a problem with convent oil as long as it meets spec.
Demands on engine oil has increased. Engines on a displacement basis are more powerful now. Commute times -- pre lock down -- are longer. Engines spend more time idling. Synthetic oils provide better lubrication under these harsher conditions. It can be safe to run the synthetic oil longer.

But how much longer depends upon usage. For example I had the oil changed in my Hellcat before I left CA. I drove the car 2K miles in 3 days. When I got to my destination as is my habit when I filled up the gas tank I checked the oil. The oil was like new and hard to see on the dipstick telltale.

Now closing in on 2 weeks and all my car usage has been in town driving in high heat -- up to the mid 90s -- and high humidity. Filled up yesterday and checked the oil. The oil now is quite dark.

Highway miles are easy on the engine and oil. Around town not so much. My typical usage in CA -- 60 highway mile work commute -- had me changing the oil every 5K miles. Here not sure I'll be ok with running the oil even 5K miles. But likely my usage won't be that much so the oil will get changed on time -- 6 month intervals -- and probably will be doing good to have 3K miles on the oil.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Do you think my car would be okay though, in all honestly I thought my car only took synthetic until I took it to get the oil changed. If you feel I have messed up my warranty, or could of caused any damage I will trade in my car soon.
You should be fine, just dont keep doing it and switch to synthetic and 5k intervals along with a quality filter. These engines are not made for conventional oil with the cam phasers. Holes are small and the oil will cake over time and cause issues.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You should be fine, just dont keep doing it and switch to synthetic and 5k intervals along with a quality filter. These engines are not made for conventional oil with the cam phasers. Holes are small and the oil will cake over time and cause issues.
Okay I will do this, I just let dodge do the oil change. I honestly thought the car used synthetic and was surprised they put conventional in.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
568 Posts
Not gonna lie you got me worried man lol, I baby this car to the max, and just assumed following the oil life indicator was safe. Now you have me wanting to go sell my car as I feel I've ruined my warranty lmao. May look into getting a srt sooner than later now.

Not only are you fine ... you're warranty is completely intact.

Only the 392ci/6.4L engine leaves the factory with Full Synthetic. Everything else gets conventional engine oil. I choose to run Full Synthetic in all of my vehicles, but it's simply because it's what I've done with all of my vehicles going back to the early '90s.

The Owner's Manual passage that 7.2chllngr posted is telling you that the car's computer is tracking how the car is being driven and will tell you when it's time to change the oil. And, to cover their "rear," they throw in some maximums ... don't go more than 10,000 miles or 12 months. I've relied on the computer for my oil changes in every vehicle I've owned that's had one. ONLY exception is my '15 Challenger SRT because I don't put enough miles or hours on it within 6 months to trigger the computer to call for a change. Of course .... I'm not racing my cars either.

You're fine! Spend a little time looking through your Owner's Manual and you'll feel more confident about how to maintain your car.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Not only are you fine ... you're warranty is completely intact.

Only the 392ci/6.4L engine leaves the factory with Full Synthetic. Everything else gets conventional engine oil. I choose to run Full Synthetic in all of my vehicles, but it's simply because it's what I've done with all of my vehicles going back to the early '90s.

The Owner's Manual passage that 7.2chllngr posted is telling you that the car's computer is tracking how the car is being driven and will tell you when it's time to change the oil. And, to cover their "rear," they throw in some maximums ... don't go more than 10,000 miles or 12 months. I've relied on the computer for my oil changes in every vehicle I've owned that's had one. ONLY exception is my '15 Challenger SRT because I don't put enough miles or hours on it within 6 months to trigger the computer to call for a change. Of course .... I'm not racing my cars either.

You're fine! Spend a little time looking through your Owner's Manual and you'll feel more confident about how to maintain your car.
When the cam phaser and vvt came in the oil got switched to synthetic. Running conventional oil sets a code. Wont turn the ligbt on but will be in the ecu. Takes a quality scanner to see this code. The generic readers wont show it either.
20200115_103000.jpg

1 - 20 of 55 Posts