Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
what is the longest time period and the most miles you can go between oil changes without warrenty problems?if possible tell me where I can find this information.also my car is a 13 rt with no options will the evic tell me if oil change is needed. thanks

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,687 Posts
From page 237 of the owner's manual:

Engine Oil Change Indicator System

Oil Change Required

Your vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change
indicator system. The “Oil Change Required” message
will flash in the EVIC display for approximately 10 seconds
after a single chime has sounded, to indicate the
next scheduled oil change interval. The engine oil change
indicator system is duty cycle based, which means the
engine oil change interval may fluctuate, dependent
upon your personal driving style.

Unless reset, this message will continue to display each
time you turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN
position or cycle the ignition to the ON/RUN position if
equipped with Keyless Enter-N-Go™. To turn off the
message temporarily, press and release the MENU button.
To reset the oil change indicator system (after
performing the scheduled maintenance) refer to the following
procedure.

From page 445 of the owner's manual:

NOTE:Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or twelve months,
whichever occurs first.

Engine Oil Selection

For best performance and maximum protection under all
types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only
recommends engine oils that are API Certified and meet
the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395.

I personally change mine every 3000-4000 miles, or every 6 months. Whichever comes first.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From page 237 of the owner's manual:

Engine Oil Change Indicator System

Oil Change Required

Your vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change
indicator system. The “Oil Change Required” message
will flash in the EVIC display for approximately 10 seconds
after a single chime has sounded, to indicate the
next scheduled oil change interval. The engine oil change
indicator system is duty cycle based, which means the
engine oil change interval may fluctuate, dependent
upon your personal driving style.

Unless reset, this message will continue to display each
time you turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN
position or cycle the ignition to the ON/RUN position if
equipped with Keyless Enter-N-Go™. To turn off the
message temporarily, press and release the MENU button.
To reset the oil change indicator system (after
performing the scheduled maintenance) refer to the following
procedure.

From page 445 of the owner's manual:

NOTE:Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or twelve months,
whichever occurs first.

Engine Oil Selection

For best performance and maximum protection under all
types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only
recommends engine oils that are API Certified and meet
the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395.

I personally change mine every 3000-4000 miles, or every 6 months. Whichever comes first.
thanks great info so I guess my owners manual is actually the dvd not a book is that right. thanks

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,687 Posts

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
maybe I'm a bad boy...but I don't even track the miles anymore...I let the car tell me when it's time...same for all my vehicles in today's day and age.

I personally think people are stuck with the old days in their mind when it was 5000 miles or else....today's engines have come so far and so have the motor oils. Just my personal opinion of course.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Maybe I am just stuck in old school mode, but every 4K, fresh oil & filter goes in. Been doing that on all my cars for almost 40 years and it has never failed me.

My Dakota is getting ready to roll over 300K in a month or so and she doesnt burn a drop - although with her I change every 3K because its an older engine design that wasnt as tightly built tolerance-wise as the current engines.

I just cant get past the viceral reaction of waiting 10K miles or 1 year between oil changes. Maybe its me, but it just doesnt feel right....

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
We have a 13 RT and we were told by the dealer to wait until the car told us. First oil change came at 5800 second one at just over 10k. All of this in six months of ownership. Yeah, we drive our car!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm at 4,500 miles and I haven't seen the indicator light yet.

On my Wranglers, I got to 10,000 miles and finally saw the message on the dash. The owners manual on those said to "under no circumstances exceed 8,000 miles". So I learned to ignore the message and go by odometer intervals to make sure there were never any warranty issues.

Also, make sure the oil meets Chrysler MS specs. Some oils such as Mobil 1 are popular but do not meet specs. You'll probably never lose a warranty over it. But why chance it when there are better oils on the shelf for less money to begin with?

If you are taking it to have it done, I suggest going to the dealership. Quick Lube places have been known to ruin vehicles. I personally know of multiple people who've had issues with those types of places.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,479 Posts
Maybe I am just stuck in old school mode, but every 4K, fresh oil & filter goes in. Been doing that on all my cars for almost 40 years and it has never failed me.

My Dakota is getting ready to roll over 300K in a month or so and she doesnt burn a drop - although with her I change every 3K because its an older engine design that wasnt as tightly built tolerance-wise as the current engines.

I just cant get past the viceral reaction of waiting 10K miles or 1 year between oil changes. Maybe its me, but it just doesnt feel right....
Yeh, I confess I am with you on this one. I drove two Ford Crown Vics and changed oil every 3,000 to 3,500 miles. Got 200,000 miles out of each one, no problems!! I know the modern cars don't need it quite that often, but I am pretty sure it will be hard for me to change the old habits!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I only got 1500 miles since my last oil change before my oil change required came on granted I drove on a track

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
For me I have lifetime oil changes and a lifetime warranty, therefore I go when the light comes on and get the free oil change. Pretty easy process all in all, I think I can handle that for another 30 to 40 years or so. Lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 2013 R/T Classic's oil light went off end of last season at 3,200.
I put it up for the winter and plan on taking it in to the dealer for
the first oil change (gorilla filter) once the snow/sand/salt is gone.

I bought a Fumoto oil change valve and some Rhino ramps to ease
with future oil changes. Just a bit concerned with the first dealer
change, but I will be on them watching intently.

Don

·
Registered
115 Posts
IMO the oil change light is worthless. Run a full synthetic in my SRT and the light comes on at 3k or less doing normal every day driving.. You don't need to change Synthetic oil at 3k. I use the 6k interval that is in the owners manuel. Had two jeeps that I used Amsoil full synthetic in , one had 300k on it when I got rid of it and the other had 200k . I ran those 15k between oil changes. The bottle of oil said you could run this stuff 25k under normal use , I ran 15k because that's all the extended use oil filter was good for. Neither one burned oil ever. I dropped the pan on the last one probably after a half dozen oil changes or so and the pan was spotless inside. I also talk to a Dodge rep about oil changes and he said 6k was fine and that is what he changed his at. Now the R/T is 8k in the manuel so that is hat I would go by.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I went to 2 places for oil change and auto zone no one carries 5w 40 synthetic oil in mobil1 I guess u have to take to dealer or order it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts