Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got a suggestion on oils for oil changes? Still learning basic shit about my car but trying to find out the best oil for my car or if there is a better performance option? Newly introduced to BMS0/40 grade and found out it runs for about 8000 miles. Definitely not sure where I could find information on it but any help is appreciated.

challenger scat pack 2020 RT

·
Premium Member
2021 R/T Scat Pack Shaker Widebody
2,722 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Anybody got a suggestion on oils for oil changes? Still learning basic shit about my car but trying to find out the best oil for my car or if there is a better performance option? Newly introduced to BMS0/40 grade and found out it runs for about 8000 miles. Definitely not sure where I could find information on it but any help is appreciated.

Your owner's manual says it better than anyone here could.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
968 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Post up some pictures of your Scat Pack!

Follow the Owner's Manual change interval requirements while you're under warranty. Don't let an interval exceed 6 months or 6,000 miles ... whichever comes first.

And stick with an oil that meets Dodge's spec ... MS-12633. It's a short list of products though.

Reactions: TITANIUM

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
968 Posts
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, Mopar, Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 0W-40 now meets MS-12633 and Mobile 1....
As said while under warranty use what they approve only and at recommended Intervals or less...
The Engineers have these specs for Reasons...
Bill
Mobil 1's website does not recommend any of their products for the 6.4L/392ci engine. They do make recommendations for the 5.7L/345ci engine.

Amsoil recommends their Signature Series 0W-40 and Schaeffer recommends their 0W-40 in addition to the Pennzoil and Valvoline products that you mentioned.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger
498 Posts
The motor in our race boat never spun a bearing w penz and we beat the piss outta it so I was happy to hear penz is what Mopar recommends…

MSD system or not : )

Reactions: SKT PK 9 Man

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,607 Posts
The motor in our race boat never spun a bearing w penz and we beat the piss outta it so I was happy to hear penz is what Mopar recommends…

MSD system or not : )
Nice to know.

I will add I put nearly 750K miles on various cars all running Mobil 1 0w-40 (or 5w-50) oil (which was an approved oil for the engines) with nary an engine problem.

However, I used Pennzoil 0w-40 in my 2018 Scat Pack, my 2018 Hellcat, and now I use this oil in my 2020 Scat Pack because that is what the factory calls for.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
See the movie Ford V. Ferrari? All those race cars back in the day ran on dinosaur oil. What better way to test oil than a 24 hour race at or near engine redline?
-John
They also carried a copious amount of oil and had a effective oil cooler. And never had to inch along in congested traffic in blazing hot temperatures, nor had to deal with being started dead cold.

That is not to say mineral oil can't be a good oil. I ran a 1996 Mustang GT to 150K+ miles using Ford brand mineral oil. I had it changed on schedule which was 3K or 4K miles. The engine even with 150K+ miles was fine.

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
They also carried a copious amount of oil and had a effective oil cooler. And never had to inch along in congested traffic in blazing hot temperatures, nor had to deal with being started dead cold.

That is not to say mineral oil can't be a good oil. I ran a 1996 Mustang GT to 150K+ miles using Ford brand mineral oil. I had it changed on schedule which was 3K or 4K miles. The engine even with 150K+ miles was fine.
Now that my oil service contract ran out on the Grand Cherokee, I'm switching over to 0W20 Dinosaur oil. The owners manual says its OK. Now I just gotta find someone that has that kind of oil. I'll just have one of the younger guys at the club garage change it for me. Good practice for the youngsters.
-John
P.S. Ford V. Ferrari; And where the hell did they get those tires?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Now that my oil service contract ran out on the Grand Cherokee, I'm switching over to 0W20 Dinosaur oil. The owners manual says its OK. Now I just gotta find someone that has that kind of oil. I'll just have one of the younger guys at the club garage change it for me. Good practice for the youngsters.
-John
P.S. Ford V. Ferrari; And where the hell did they get those tires?
If you have been using synthetic oil it might be advisable to continue to use this oil. The reason is synthetic oil is not seal friendly. While synthetic oil doesn't kill seals the oil can cause some seal degradation. But to combat this the synthetic oil has a seal "friendly" additive which prevents this degradation. But mineral oil might not have this additive and the seal can from the years of exposure to synthetic oil develop a leak with mineral oil due to the absence of the seal additive.

Besides while mineral oil as I mentioned in a previous post proved to be quite up to the task since that car I have run synthetic oil exclusively and I would not go back to using a mineral oil even if one was spec'd to be used with any of my car engines.

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
If you have been using synthetic oil it might be advisable to continue to use this oil. The reason is synthetic oil is not seal friendly. While synthetic oil doesn't kill seals the oil can cause some seal degradation. But to combat this the synthetic oil has a seal "friendly" additive which prevents this degradation. But mineral oil might not have this additive and the seal can from the years of exposure to synthetic oil develop a leak with mineral oil due to the absence of the seal additive.

Besides while mineral oil as I mentioned in a previous post proved to be quite up to the task since that car I have run synthetic oil exclusively and I would not go back to using a mineral oil even if one was spec'd to be used with any of my car engines.
Mmnn. :unsure: Will think about that.
-John

·
Registered
257 Posts
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, Mopar, Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 0W-40 now meets MS-12633 and Mobile 1....
As said while under warranty use what they approve only and at recommended Intervals or less...
The Engineers have these specs for Reasons...
Bill
And those reasons are?

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
Found this on Amazon and it does meet the MS-6395 Spec. as outlined in the owners manual. For this price, it makes no sense to look for conventional oil. I might buy a case of this stuff before they figure people will pay more for it.

-John

·
Registered
737 Posts
Found this on Amazon and it does meet the MS-6395 Spec. as outlined in the owners manual. For this price, it makes no sense to look for conventional oil. I might buy a case of this stuff before they figure people will pay more for it.

-John
0W20 isn't the correct oil in any Challenger.

When Mopar replaced the 5.7 in my Ram they sent a note that instructed me to only use PUP 5W20.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts