Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just had my check engine light come on. I had a shop check it out and they said it is reporting "oil pressure too low". Now this happened today, and I just happened to change my oil Saturday Apr 26. I'll admit I'm not a car guy, I'm a computer guy but I feel im pretty decent at following directions but perhaps maybe I missed something here.

I did the oil change with the following.
7 quarts Royal Purple SAE 5W-20
Royal purple filter 20-820

Just a note, I ordered the oil on amazon and I honestly don't remember If I checked the labels and made sure each one said 5w-20. I like to think that I would had, because it is just a habit of mine normally when buying computer parts, but I don't actually remember doing it.....so I guess there is a SLIGHT possibility that it could of been the wrong viscosity but amazon tends to be pretty accurate from what I seen with purchases in the past. My order screen however does show 5w-20 is what I ordered.

After the change I let it run for 5 minutes to check for leaks. Didn't see any issues. I went to dallas and back that day so that was about 5 hours worth of freeway travel. Then back and forth to work Monday. All was fine til today. I checked the dipstick and I'm pretty sure it still says it is in the "safe" range but I'll have my dad double check that later today. The oil pressure readout in the dash reads 97-99. What pressure range should it be reading?

Any ideas on what could be causing it and /or how to fix or any things I should be checking?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Checked for leaks, double checked oil level, checked caps, checked filter. Found my bottles in the dumpster and they are indeed 5w-20. Engine still sounds fine. Doesn't seem like anything wrong. Taking it to a dealership to have them check it out. My best guess is the sensor is having a malfunction. The minute you start the vehicle the oil psi goes from 30 straight to 99.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Checked for leaks, double checked oil level, checked caps, checked filter. Found my bottles in the dumpster and they are indeed 5w-20. Engine still sounds fine. Doesn't seem like anything wrong. Taking it to a dealership to have them check it out. My best guess is the sensor is having a malfunction. The minute you start the vehicle the oil psi goes from 30 straight to 99.
Yup - definitelty time to let Mikey the MOPAR mechanic check it out.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like I was right. They found "oil pressure switch internally open" and ended up replacing the "oil sending unit". Covered under warranty. All is good

1 - 6 of 6 Posts