Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everybody,
Got a question about headers. Long vs short style is the issue. I am really old school back I used to race Pontiac Trans Am's as they REALLY needed some type of header. I see and ton of info about how everyone is putting long tube headers on a 6.4 and others. But my main question is if Dodge is making the most power possible from the factory why are they using the same type shorty headers on all the SRT, Demon and Hellephant engines? you would figure it would at least be a longer style. Possibly not full length but as close as possible. I have a set of Demon manifolds and they are not much different than standard SRT manifolds. I know some cars/ trucks need help. My F250 has what I call the log for a exhaust manifold one long tube that all the cylinders dump in with about 1" length from the cylinder head to the log. Ford design at work.

Registered
Because the OEM setup allows for the power and supports the factory attachment methods.

Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
The Hellephant motor uses them I am sure for fitment reasons as that engine is designed for resto mods, think squeezing that into an A, B or E body (well B and E are the same as far as that goes). If you want long tubes for those you are probably going to go with an unwelded kit and fab your own.
As far as production engines, they want parts interchangeability to be easy, I bet those are the same shorties they use on Trucks and Jeeps and also for emissions reasons, and also size, they want assemblies to be as small as possible when putting everything together at the assembly plants.

Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
For emissions reasons, they need to keep the cats as close to the exhaust ports as possible so they light off quickly and stay hot and they got more space to work with. They can do that with the shorty's but not so much with long tubes.

DeWFPo

Reactions: RonB

Registered
The trucks and jeeps have a different pierce point and the engine bays are not the same. They will have cast manifolds unless they manage to shoehorn an actual Hellcat engine in.

Premium Member
2020 T/A 392, GoMango
Common question so not dumb at all. DeWFPo referred to emissions and that is likely the main factor as auto manufacturers have had to deal with this since the early 70's, Mopar could likely engineer a long tube type with integrated cats but there may be a cost factor to consider with that. "shorty" type headers work very well in the low to mid RPM ranges making them ideal for high performance daily use where they spend most of their time operating. Long tube types work better in the upper RPM ranges offering less back pressure so better breathing.

The fact that the design of the current OEM piece incorporates an individual path for each cylinder qualifies them as a "header" and Mopar even had cast iron ones as far back as 1962 on the Max Wedges.

Mopar does have a long tube type available which is standard issue on the Drag Pak but it's not street legal.

Registered
2009 Limited SRT8, Brilliant Black 鈿, Centerforce Clutch, BMR susp., Belanger Headers, Lowered
check out this writeup on technology of headers.. Header Technology - Belanger Headers - Viper, Challenger/Charger
Lou and his father have been brilliant in the viper community.. and there price for hand made American made tech.. is worth it!.

Ive been sold.. have 122k on my long tubes. (never needed tuned nor threw a code).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm thinking it would be best just to stick with the factory shorties since they flow so good and I wont have to change so much to put full length headers on. I have been lucky at a full throttle street race and won against a new mustang. I have the factory shorties into a Magnaflow midpipes with high flow cats and Magnaflow competition exhaust to breath better. Plus I don't care if I blow my $hit up (2 spare engines) vs a new mustang owner that's scared to hurt their car.
My next 6.4 engine im building may need headers since its getting forged rods and pistons with the top ring lowered 7mm, cnc ported heads, comp cam stage 2,comp roller lifters, comp springs, and a whipple charger. (saving up for Whipple and Rod/Pistons) I have the rest already

1 - 8 of 8 Posts