Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 73' 340 has 110,000 miles and original vapor canister system is still in place. I suspect it presents gas fume hazard and is performance detractor. Can experts here please let me know how to insure proper function of the system? I know there is filter at the bottom. Is there a purge valve that can be replaced?.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I believe there is a vacuum operated purge valve and the canister itself has charcoal inside and that thin filter at the bottom. There are lots of videos online on how to test your canister.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
186 Posts
There's not really anything to break in the canister itself, it's the purge valve that fails. It's not a performance detractor. The gasoline vapor attaches to the granular activated charcoal in the canister and then when the engine is under heavy load the purge valve opens and air is drawn thru the canister past the carbon which releases the vapors back into the intake system to be burned. It is an emissions system that really doesn't detract from the performance. One of the few.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's not really anything to break in the canister itself, it's the purge valve that fails. It's not a performance detractor. The gasoline vapor attaches to the granular activated charcoal in the canister and then when the engine is under heavy load the purge valve opens and air is drawn thru the canister past the carbon which releases the vapors back into the intake system to be burned. It is an emissions system that really doesn't detract from the performance. One of the few.
Thank you for the helpful details. The next thing I will do is to determine if valve is stuck open or closed on the 50 year old system. The purge valve may not be replaceable. I saw online where they are getting $250 for replacement canister.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts