Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Once again thee SXT+ proves to be a great road-trip car!

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  MommaBetty 
#1 ·
Had to head back from vacation today, anyway we went from Scottsboro, AL to Roanoke VA (429 miles!) on just over 14 gallons of gas. We averaged 30MPG the whole trip running at speeds ranging from 60 to 80 MPH...amazing for a car this size.

I can't even begin to count up all the approving nods, thumbs ups, ogling at the two rest stops along the way and the younger boys who did mild freak outs as we passed their parents mini vans :hah: (not to mention a few dads driving said mini vans).

Glad to report no sore back or legs and we only stopped twice for potty breaks. Damn I love this car!

Reactions: wyo.hemi
#2 ·
Great to hear! Economy, comfort, good looks and performance all in one package!

#3 ·
Agree

Yes, this IS a great car. I am suprised to get better MPG in my Challenger V6 than i got in my last car, a Charger V6. They got the same engine (as far as i know) and i thought the Challenger was going to use more gas but i am happy to find that it is the other way around!

Tumbs up for the Challenger :smileup::smileup::smileup:

#5 ·
OK, I have to admit that I cheated a little bit. On the way down from MD, and as soon as I could find some, I put in about 3/4 tank of ethanol free gas in and pulled the #2 fuse. From there on all she got to drink was ethanol free mid grade or ethanol free premium depending what was available. Sadly, tomorrow when we make the final leg of our trip back to the people's republic of maryland, she will get her last tank of ethanol free gas for quite a long time.

tdjacw,
I have the 3.08 gear set in mine (yup that's what the spec sheet says 3.08) and my RPMs are similar to yours. One thing that I have found out about these engines is that temperature has a HUGE effect of fuel mileage. Mine seems to get her best mileage when the temperature is between 70 & 85 degrees. Also tire pressure has an affect too. I just replaced the worn out Firestones on mine with a set of Michelin touring tires running right at 42 PSI (44 max) in the front and 38PSI in the rear.

I'm sure that once I have to start feeding her that nasty-ass ethanol laced gas, my mileage will plummet back down to the 26-28MPG range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.