Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Knight of the black asphalt.
8,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car came with a booklet that I refer to as the cliff notes manual. It also came with a CD owners manual. I have a Mac Book Pro with out a CD drive. Before I purchase a external drive , does anyone know if the CD version of the owners manual is online?

Mike
2016 Scat

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
56,323 Posts
My car came with a booklet that I refer to as the cliff notes manual. It also came with a CD owners manual. I have a Mac Book Pro with out a CD drive. Before I purchase a external drive , does anyone know if the CD version of the owners manual is online?

Mike
2016 Scat
You used to be able to get a hard copy of the full manual from Dodge,you just called them, gave them your vin and they would send you one, check all your stuff that came with the car and see if there is a number to call.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,846 Posts

·
8,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You used to be able to get a hard copy of the full manual from Dodge,you just called them, gave them your vin and they would send you one, check all your stuff that came with the car and see if there is a number to call.
Thanks, good idea.

·
8,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
The downloadable version of the owners (and others) is available through the moparconnect.com website. At the bottom is a link marked owners manuals. I would be hesitant about getting the external drive. To explain, I have tried to down-
load CD to my laptop, running windows 7 professional - but can not open. Prompt tells me I have to have certain version of Adobe Acrobat. Attempt to download Adobe fails as prompt tells me I am already running newer version of Abobe (DC). I have since upgraded laptop to Windows 10 (seamless upgrade) but get same result attempting to open CD. I currently have
ongoing communication with factory to see about resolution. There is also a Dodge phone number you can call and have
paper manuals sent to you free of charge if you are original owner. Do not have that phone number handy, but I will see if I can track it down. Hope this helps

·
8,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
8,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can put it in a dvd/bluray player or a gaming console if you have one. I think 2016s have the manual in the infotainment system too
I will try that also, thx.

·
8,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The downloadable version of the owners (and others) is available through the moparconnect.com website. At the bottom is a link marked owners manuals. I would be hesitant about getting the external drive. To explain, I have tried to down-
load CD to my laptop, running windows 7 professional - but can not open. Prompt tells me I have to have certain version of Adobe Acrobat. Attempt to download Adobe fails as prompt tells me I am already running newer version of Abobe (DC). I have since upgraded laptop to Windows 10 (seamless upgrade) but get same result attempting to open CD. I currently have
ongoing communication with factory to see about resolution. There is also a Dodge phone number you can call and have
paper manuals sent to you free of charge if you are original owner. Do not have that phone number handy, but I will see if I can track it down. Hope this helps
Thanks for the warning.

·
8,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The one thing I was looking for is not in the manual. Where are the lift points when using a four point hydraulic jack?

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
The one thing I was looking for is not in the manual. Where are the lift points when using a four point hydraulic jack?
This is an interesting topic. It's not in the manual as far as I know, and little info is online. My car was once on a four point hydraulic lift when I had new tires put on. I spoke with the mechanic and he told me that the entire edge of the car hidden behind the bottom trim is safe to use. That's just the area between the wheel wells that is covered by plastic. See my pic for reference

I have used two jacks on one side of my car to lift that side and rotate my tires as you can see. The plastic trim has cutouts that give access to the metal edge, but the mechanic told me this was only for convince and that the ENTIRE edge was safe to use.

Another interesting thing to note is that just in front of the rear tires, on both sides, there is a hard rubber/plastic pad that is under the car that is designed as a lift point as well. It is only on the back and not on the front.

So when I lift my car, I place a low profile hydraulic floor jack on the rubber pad and lift. Then I place a jack stand as close to the rear tire as is possible and lower it down. Then I move to the front and place the low profile jack on the metal edge (I don't even worry about the convince cutouts) and lift it there. The plastic trim bends slightly as it hangs lower so it can hide the metal edge, but it is plastic and the bending is minimal so no damage. The mechanic told me this was OK and part of the design. Then I place a jack stand on the edge as close to the front as possible and lower.

I have had my car up four or five times this way, and I always inspect for damage. So far so good. No bending or cracking of anything. The metal edge and the rubber pads were the points that the mechanic used to lift my car off the ground too.

Attachments

·
8,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's interesting. The manual states not to rest the car on jack stands using the pinch weld.It sounds like you are doing that in the front but not the back. I am surprised you have not experienced a problem. I have purchased ZL1 magnetic jack pads for lifting the car using a low profile jack. They attach onto the pinch weld.

Also, the four point hydraulic lifts have a larger surface area. It is likely the pinch weld would be damaged when lifting. I believe you when you state no damage has been done. I wish Dodge would give a better explanation. I will be visiting the dealer tomorrow to see what they have to say. Hopefully the same as your mechanic said.

Mike

Reactions: habbie

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
If your dealer says different, I would love to know. The mechanic I spoke with was not a Chrysler service tech. It was an independent shop, a reputable place, but still not a Dodge service department.

Their four point lift had four arms that could be moved about. Each arm had a pad that could be moved into the proper place as needed, so they used the rubber pads in the rear of the car and the pinch weld up front.

Where in the OM does it state that the pinch weld can't be used? I have looked through my manual and can't find it.

·
8,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ug, I did not see it in the owners manual, sorry. I read it in the paperwork that came with the ZL1 magnetic jack pads. Don't just jack stands with ZL1 Magnetic jack pads.

Reactions: Lyle

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Ug, I did not see it in the owners manual, sorry. I read it in the paperwork that came with the ZL1 magnetic jack pads. Don't just jack stands with ZL1 Magnetic jack pads.
That's cool. I just want to makes sure I am doing it safely for myself and the car. If you find out anything important, please share!

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
When I jack up my car, I use a long reach low profile hydraulic jack and some hockey pucks. I also use a second hydraulic jack to stabilize the car since it is very unnerving lifting the rear once the front is on jack stands so I use a jack on either side. I lift from the pads that Lyle referrenced in front of the rear tires. I lift the front from the cross member just behind the front wheels. There is a hole in it that could be used for a locating pin. Maybe the link/photo below will help. There are threads on the forum about proper lifting. I usually stick the jack stands under the front engine cradle.

http://www.challengerforumz.com/attachments/241786-jpg.4543/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts