Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty sure that we all have watched youtube videos of various challenger owners and their exploits. some are funny, some are informative and most are just idiotic. but, and I don't remember the youtube posters name, he did bring up several points that various member, me included, have stated.
1) weight. our challengers are heavy. too heavy. yes, going to an aluminum block as opposed to iron would save weight, but so would a carbon fiber hood, door, trunk, roof, fenders. those would be easier and cheaper than redoing the chasis. saving several hundred pounds would benefit us as owners greatly, not just in speed, but in fuel savings.
2) a real parking/emergency brake. until I purchased my challenger, I had not seen a foot operated parking brake (trucks don't count) in about 15 yrs +/- everybody has gone to an electronic brake, and I am not saying that is how we should go, but a parking brake lever would be great. there is room for one.
3) folding mirrors, seat memory. these aren't essential, but at the price we paid for our cars, that should be at least included. using my kia stinger as an example, all that, and leather, heated and cooled seats, besides the apps on the radio(which I don't really care about) are standard and comes in cheaper than the base scat pack.
4) like one of our members pointed out, maybe some revisions to the engine with forged pistons, etc. maybe I want to add a supercharger to my scat pack. and don't want a hellcat/demon/redeye. I had seen the price breakdown in making a 6.4 push out hellcat/demon/redeye numbers and that's close to 35 grand!
5) different rear ratios. I would like to have the choice of higher or lower ratios.
6) more tire. I proved a point to the mrs last night about changing out the tires to a wider one. I asked her to lay some rubber down. she was straight for about 25 feet, but as she eased off the accelerator, the car jinked right, as she corrected, she jinked left. "nuff said.
7) how about a convertible? maybe as a halo car. maybe it is in the pipeline as a soon to be 'cuda. I am not a fan of convertibles, but I do think it would look good.
these are just suggestions to make our cars a little more attractive to non-mopar fans. I have seen women of all ages come to my car and ask about it, much to the consternation of the mrs. younger drivers, well the ones who want to drive, are all excited about challengers, camaros and mustangs. yes, they make the 6 cylinder and the base hemi's, but maybe they want a scat pack, but, are we losing sales to camaros and mustangs because they offer that cooled seat? that they are 500-600 lbs lighter? its all about staying fresh and not become the car companies of the 70's, 80's and the 90's where every year was just the same car with a fake spoiler or some graphics.
thanks for reading.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
true, but, at the price we paid for the challenger, I could have gotten an ss or a gt for less, with less weight. hell, I could have gotten another stinger which is quicker and gets better gas mileage and has more room. what I am saying is that we got the challenger because we like the challenger. dodge/Chrysler was always like an underdog in the car world. those that understood it, bought in. it's the people on the fence who might miss out on a great vehicle because of some missing content. and, at my age, I want some more creature comforts because....I deserve it.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I am pretty sure that we all have watched youtube videos of various challenger owners and their exploits. some are funny, some are informative and most are just idiotic. but, and I don't remember the youtube posters name, he did bring up several points that various member, me included, have stated.
1) weight. our challengers are heavy. too heavy. yes, going to an aluminum block as opposed to iron would save weight, but so would a carbon fiber hood, door, trunk, roof, fenders. those would be easier and cheaper than redoing the chasis. saving several hundred pounds would benefit us as owners greatly, not just in speed, but in fuel savings.
2) a real parking/emergency brake. until I purchased my challenger, I had not seen a foot operated parking brake (trucks don't count) in about 15 yrs +/- everybody has gone to an electronic brake, and I am not saying that is how we should go, but a parking brake lever would be great. there is room for one.
3) folding mirrors, seat memory. these aren't essential, but at the price we paid for our cars, that should be at least included. using my kia stinger as an example, all that, and leather, heated and cooled seats, besides the apps on the radio(which I don't really care about) are standard and comes in cheaper than the base scat pack.
4) like one of our members pointed out, maybe some revisions to the engine with forged pistons, etc. maybe I want to add a supercharger to my scat pack. and don't want a hellcat/demon/redeye. I had seen the price breakdown in making a 6.4 push out hellcat/demon/redeye numbers and that's close to 35 grand!
5) different rear ratios. I would like to have the choice of higher or lower ratios.
6) more tire. I proved a point to the mrs last night about changing out the tires to a wider one. I asked her to lay some rubber down. she was straight for about 25 feet, but as she eased off the accelerator, the car jinked right, as she corrected, she jinked left. "nuff said.
7) how about a convertible? maybe as a halo car. maybe it is in the pipeline as a soon to be 'cuda. I am not a fan of convertibles, but I do think it would look good.
these are just suggestions to make our cars a little more attractive to non-mopar fans. I have seen women of all ages come to my car and ask about it, much to the consternation of the mrs. younger drivers, well the ones who want to drive, are all excited about challengers, camaros and mustangs. yes, they make the 6 cylinder and the base hemi's, but maybe they want a scat pack, but, are we losing sales to camaros and mustangs because they offer that cooled seat? that they are 500-600 lbs lighter? its all about staying fresh and not become the car companies of the 70's, 80's and the 90's where every year was just the same car with a fake spoiler or some graphics.
thanks for reading.
1. Agree totally.
2. Also totally agree.
3. Nice, but not important to me at all. My Scat Pack has heated and cooled seats, as do most '15 and up R/T's and above..
4. A HD engine package would be nice.
5. Not likely, they have to certify every ratio, and with the 8 speed, the 3.09 (?) is just about perfect. The six speed with 3.72 or 3.92 is also about perfect for general use.
6. Wider tires are always better.
7. Well, I guess some people like them, a hard pass for me.
8. Even people who bought Mustangs, a lot of them, admit, our cars look better. And the Camaro is a horror show. One friend of mine who bought a Bullitt Mustang wouldn't buy a Challenger because it's made by FCA or whatever the new name is. But I've never had a Mopar in almost 40 years as bad as several of his Ford products have been.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
9,175 Posts
2) a real parking/emergency brake. until I purchased my challenger, I had not seen a foot operated parking brake
I read (perhaps here, it was a while back) this was intentional because when the retro-Challenger was first conceived, the designers focused on incorporating a lot of elements that would take nostalgic, middle-aged buyers back to their first Mopars and other muscle cars from the 70's, and that included the foot parking brake (the old-timey chromed fuel door and chromed, Cragar styled wheels are other examples).

·
Registered
565 Posts
Reduce the number of option packages and let the buyer pick and choose individual options.
Add more interior color choices and not just the seats (carpet, trim panels, dash, etc.) - light gray would be nice.
Allow cloth interior option if buyer does not desire leather.
Add more exterior color choices - light colors.
Power adjustable passenger seat.
Power recline on both seats.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Reduce the number of option packages and let the buyer pick and choose individual options.
Add more interior color choices and not just the seats (carpet, trim panels, dash, etc.) - light gray would be nice.
Allow cloth interior option if buyer does not desire leather.
Add more exterior color choices - light colors.
Power adjustable passenger seat.
Power recline on both seats.
I have had the same thoughts, but it comes down to the corporate bean counters. Cost less to have "packages" and limited color options.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
true, I remember when you walked in and had a sheet two feet long of options you wanted and you waited a couple of months for them to build the car. granted, they would talk you into the more popular optioned car that was, luckily, just sitting in the showroom behind you. don't worry about the pinstripes, I will eat the cost of those, type of deals.
my whole point was at the price that we paid for our cars, I think that the content should have been a little higher. and, as an aside, I did not get the base model, nor did I get the high zoot one. middle of the road, it had been optioned out by another buyer who played one dealer here in south florida against a dealer in Georgia. so I got an odd duck of options, but at the price I paid, I cold have gotten a totally different car. its just that I wanted a challenger and dealt with it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
ok, i'll respond to your points the way i see it

1. yes some weight could be shaved off, carbon fibre won't happen, it's to expensive but aluminum panels sure but with 500hp under the hood and a fairly large v8 not sure how much savings in fuel you would see
2.the foot brake really isn't a big deal, no need to have it in the console, sure there might be room there but would take up space and i'd rather have that little bit of storage, an electronic brake wouldn't use any space and not sure why they didn't go that way with the 2015 refresh
3.yes some options are weirdly missing
4.the engine revision will most likely be the replacement of the v8 most likely with the upcoming turbo inline 6, as for the adding a supercharger to the scat pack, if that was the plan then you should have just bought a hellcat, you see this all the time, i didn't want a hellcat but i want to boost it, why not a hellcat, by the time you supercharge your scat pack it will still won't produce hellcat power unless you open the engine up and you're still missing the hellcat suspension and such plus the warranty you will lose when you modify that the hellcat comes with
5.gear ratios are not needed, the ratios they use are about perfect unless you want to try to build a 1/4 mile drag car
6.yes
7.yes a convertible would be nice

now as for your comment about price, yes you could have gotten a gt mustang or camaro ss for a little cheaper BUT the car is only 2/3 the size of the challenger so not only do you lose interior space but trunk space and they are not as usable as the challenger, sure they are lighter but the camaro and mustang are also louder inside, the biggest thing is that the mustang and camaro have almost become track cars and lost that muscle car cruiser that the challenger still is, i don't run on a track and never will, for a sunday afternoon cruise the weight means nothing, these cars handle plenty well on the street and the only time you will really notice the weight is when you try to push it. For me i still have a family that comes with me and there is no way that the 4 of us could go for a drive in a camaro or mustang. I also think that you're wrong about who's buying these cars, the mustang sells well not because it's a better car but because of the history of the car and the camaro loses sales year over year to the point now that they have been talking about discontinuing it again, it's a terrible car other than on the track.

one last point, your stinger gt may feel quicker but it isn't, posted 0-60 times from sources put your scat pack about a half second quicker to 60 than the stinger

·
Mopartial to Challengers
9,175 Posts
I bought mine off the lot and like most suits I buy off the rack, I've been pretty happy with my Challenger although I have had "alterations" done (appearance and performance mods). The 2013 R/T Classic I bought almost 7 years ago was ordered by the dealer as eye candy to draw in customers into the showroom. It was pretty well packaged and was missing only the trak pack option from my wishlist. To this day I have no regrets and my 7 year old R/T is still the best car I've owned.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
The only thing I can say is the car is heavy due to the miles of wiring and electronics they serve. The size of the car adds to that. Internal safety features, inside the body, out of view adds weight. Structural reinforcement, a lot of which is out of sight, adds weight. Sound deadening is another example. Making the interior roomy adds weight.
One thing I do know, in test driving the Challenger vs. the Camaro; when I got 'on it' in a Challenger it took off like it weighed very little, but the stability was there and I felt confident even on curvy roads. The 2SS Camaro was fast, no doubt, but the road noise (!), and the feeling that the car was ready to leave the road, was disconcerting to me. And no matter how low I put the seat, it was cramped. Really no room for a rear passenger.
Believe me, until I climbed into one, all I wanted was another Camaro!
I know I paid some serious bucks for mine but I do believe, dollar for dollar, I got Value.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, i'll respond to your points the way i see it

1. yes some weight could be shaved off, carbon fibre won't happen, it's to expensive but aluminum panels sure but with 500hp under the hood and a fairly large v8 not sure how much savings in fuel you would see
2.the foot brake really isn't a big deal, no need to have it in the console, sure there might be room there but would take up space and i'd rather have that little bit of storage, an electronic brake wouldn't use any space and not sure why they didn't go that way with the 2015 refresh
3.yes some options are weirdly missing
4.the engine revision will most likely be the replacement of the v8 most likely with the upcoming turbo inline 6, as for the adding a supercharger to the scat pack, if that was the plan then you should have just bought a hellcat, you see this all the time, i didn't want a hellcat but i want to boost it, why not a hellcat, by the time you supercharge your scat pack it will still won't produce hellcat power unless you open the engine up and you're still missing the hellcat suspension and such plus the warranty you will lose when you modify that the hellcat comes with
5.gear ratios are not needed, the ratios they use are about perfect unless you want to try to build a 1/4 mile drag car
6.yes
7.yes a convertible would be nice

now as for your comment about price, yes you could have gotten a gt mustang or camaro ss for a little cheaper BUT the car is only 2/3 the size of the challenger so not only do you lose interior space but trunk space and they are not as usable as the challenger, sure they are lighter but the camaro and mustang are also louder inside, the biggest thing is that the mustang and camaro have almost become track cars and lost that muscle car cruiser that the challenger still is, i don't run on a track and never will, for a sunday afternoon cruise the weight means nothing, these cars handle plenty well on the street and the only time you will really notice the weight is when you try to push it. For me i still have a family that comes with me and there is no way that the 4 of us could go for a drive in a camaro or mustang. I also think that you're wrong about who's buying these cars, the mustang sells well not because it's a better car but because of the history of the car and the camaro loses sales year over year to the point now that they have been talking about discontinuing it again, it's a terrible car other than on the track.

one last point, your stinger gt may feel quicker but it isn't, posted 0-60 times from sources put your scat pack about a half second quicker to 60 than the stinger
stock for stock, I have seen numbers posted that go either way, but in the end, traction is what is killing us. racing the mrs at the track, the stinger was a bumper quicker in the 1/4. once 275's were added, it was no contest. and against a bone stock scat pack, both of us on slicks, it was wholesale murder. now, I admit, there are variables to this. I have seen stinger's beat scat packs by a good margin and scat packs walk away from stingers. same as in any race, if not a controlled situation, everything is a variable.
and I also agree with the mustangs heritage, but, people are buying the challenger for the room. as I posted, that is why I did not purchase a mustang or a camaro. if outright speed was my point, I could have gotten a vette or an amg anything. point I was making, for the price, they could have added some options. but, that's just me, I was wondering if others thought that way.

·
Registered
87 Posts
thanks for reading.
Going to disagree some here.

For those that don't race, i sure don't want a carbon fiber body. I don't want to instantly die if somebody hits me.

And I've no problem with a foot brake. What's the big deal? My wife's 2013 Nissan has the same foot break. Hand brakes just take up space in the console and look cheesy imo.

Not sure what you have been driving but I haven't had a vehicle with a hand break for years.

Wider tires would be nice but the gear ratio is fine imo.

Mustangs are lighter for one reason because they are smaller.
Mustangs are 188″ L x 75″ W x 54″ H
Challengers are 198″ L x 76″ W x 56-58″ H

My Challenger also has cooled and heated seats....and a heated steering wheel which is actually a cool feature. I gt my Challenger because it looks great. I have a 2018 RT Plus and paid $23,600 for it. The key is not buying it New.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
In 2010 I used to dream that there were some options for the R/T's. In a way I think that has come true. You now have the Scat Packs, Shakers, and TA's (?). I guess it does come down to packages over specific options. I wanted to have options like Brembo's for R/T's and LSD's for R/T's with auto-trans. To get those you have to buy a specific type of Challenger that is not the SRT but a beefed up R/T. Can you now option Hellcat hoods?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
true, but, at the price we paid for the challenger, I could have gotten an ss or a gt for less, with less weight. hell, I could have gotten another stinger which is quicker and gets better gas mileage and has more room. what I am saying is that we got the challenger because we like the challenger. dodge/Chrysler was always like an underdog in the car world. those that understood it, bought in. it's the people on the fence who might miss out on a great vehicle because of some missing content. and, at my age, I want some more creature comforts because....I deserve it.:ROFLMAO:
I got the Challenger because I like it. I don't want a lighter or smaller car. As you pointed out there are plenty of lighter, smaller options out there. I'm having trouble understanding why you bought the Challenger in the first place.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I bought it for the size and comfort factor. My oldest brother which is 83 years old bought a new Camaro and in no time he was sick of it. At 6 k miles he got rid of it. I looked at Camaro and Mustangs and just felt like I would have plenty of time being cramped up in a coffin without buying a car I felt cramped up in. Besides over the years I had had been down the camaro and mustang road, the old original ones but I had never owned a Challenger new or old. I do not do track anymore and the Scat gives me all the excitement a old man needs without running over the car in front of me.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
@waumo, John @HemiMetal & @LittleBeeBop - that’s the descriptions I’m leaning towards.
These are fine, sexy ass cars.
If your heart don’t skip a beat every time you start her up -or- stomp it, and you think eeh. Maybe she’s not the one.

If nothing at all -The Hemi-a well executed engine. Every design gets better and better.
Don‘t get me wrong I like a lot of cars, and just like people you prefer more than others & and have said, yup she’s not the one

Tata motors new Jaguar XK, very beautiful. The Maserati also as beautiful and affordable, well the Ghibli.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
As long as the interior is black, with heated seats and even more importantly, the heated steering wheel, I'm happy. I hate colored interiors, especially beige or tan ones, regardless of the car's paint color. My '79 Trans Am had "burgandy" interior, and my '86 Iroc had "camel" and I hated them both and it I'd have had the cash to blow, they would have been black within a week.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts