Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, I am currently saving up to buy my Challenger a whole new set of Rims + Tires after the tires I currently got it running on go past the point of their useful life.

About four months away, so hopefully I'll have them before the year's end.

Anyways, I would like an opinion on these Rim and Tire specs as far as a guess on how the turn out would be as far as looks and performance goes.

RIM
Replica Wheel Charger SRT8 Matte Black
20x9.5-115 20MTB

TIRE
Yokohama Parada Spec-X
255/40R-20 XL 101V B

My concerns are, how much of my turning radius will be effected and also how wide the tires are. My aim is to try to make them flush to where the crest of the wheel well fender is sticking out to, haven't found a tire size guide that gave me an accurate appearance on what the results would be.

Also, I've never rolled with Black rims before so this will be a first so I'm wondering how much shine these Matte black rims would have in comparison to my car's body color (Factory CC: PXR Black). Really looking for a possible picture comparison between the rim color and the PXR Black color.

Looking forward to the replies, thanks!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hey jasen, I dont know enough about rim and tire specifications to be of any help, but hopefully someone will chime in and give you an answer..........good luck

·
801 RWHP
8,516 Posts
I run 9" wheels in the front with 255's on them. There are no clearance issues for me. I am running 10" rims with 295's in the rear which just barely stick out from the fender there. So maybe 275's would be perfect for what you're trying to do there. I am not sure of the flushness of the front right at the moment. I think you would probably need to go with 275's all the way around to get flush there to. I think people do run 275's in the front but dont quote me there. Just remember, if you ever want to lower the car that you would need "skinnier" tire set ups to clear. Oh and i dont know how the matte black will look for you. I have the Viper Replica wheels (black gloss). They go great with the Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl. Nice and shiny.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I run 9" wheels in the front with 255's on them. There are no clearance issues for me. I am running 10" rims with 295's in the rear which just barely stick out from the fender there. So maybe 275's would be perfect for what you're trying to do there. I am not sure of the flushness of the front right at the moment. I think you would probably need to go with 275's all the way around to get flush there to. I think people do run 275's in the front but dont quote me there. Just remember, if you ever want to lower the car that you would need "skinnier" tire set ups to clear. Oh and i dont know how the matte black will look for you. I have the Viper Replica wheels (black gloss). They go great with the Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl. Nice and shiny.
Thanks for the reply Hammer Down, since the post I have been going over Google Images for the rim itself on a Challenger. Seen a few pictures but sadly none are black on black since them on a Lime Green Challenger and Silver, but the rim does give off a decent shine level. Only thing I couldn't tell was if the wheel was the same size that I am shooting for.

As far as the 275s go, sadly the shop I'm planning to buy the rims from (Discount Tire) doesn't carry those tire sizes as they only go up to 265s for their Plus Two sizes and their prices for them skyrocket. It is good news indeed to know that the 255s have no clearance issues in the front.

I should've worded my original post better, I'm not exactly aiming for true flush but I do want them to either be close or not be going past the crest of the wheel well.

"""I run 9" wheels in the front with 255's on them.""" - Does the 9" in this first statement represent your rim width? If so then that is awesome, don't think the additional .5" on mine will make an issue for the fronts. Just in case though if you get around to it, can you check on how them fronts look in comparison to the crest of the wheel well? Would like to make sure that they aren't past that crest since I seem to be shooting for tire/rim sizes almost similar to what you got.

Thanks again, awesome deal running in to someone who has almost the same rim size with width that I'm shooting for along with tires to boot!
Looking forward to your next reply, cheers!

·
Registered
243 Posts
You don't need to use just their tire sizing per your vehicle to select a tire. I got my 275's from Discount tire (on 20x9s up front and 20x10s in the rear). Use their "select tire by size option" to find the tires you want. And no rubbing issue on mine with those sizes.

·
801 RWHP
8,516 Posts
Thanks for the reply Hammer Down, since the post I have been going over Google Images for the rim itself on a Challenger. Seen a few pictures but sadly none are black on black since them on a Lime Green Challenger and Silver, but the rim does give off a decent shine level. Only thing I couldn't tell was if the wheel was the same size that I am shooting for.

As far as the 275s go, sadly the shop I'm planning to buy the rims from (Discount Tire) doesn't carry those tire sizes as they only go up to 265s for their Plus Two sizes and their prices for them skyrocket. It is good news indeed to know that the 255s have no clearance issues in the front.

I should've worded my original post better, I'm not exactly aiming for true flush but I do want them to either be close or not be going past the crest of the wheel well.

"""I run 9" wheels in the front with 255's on them.""" - Does the 9" in this first statement represent your rim width? If so then that is awesome, don't think the additional .5" on mine will make an issue for the fronts. Just in case though if you get around to it, can you check on how them fronts look in comparison to the crest of the wheel well? Would like to make sure that they aren't past that crest since I seem to be shooting for tire/rim sizes almost similar to what you got.

Thanks again, awesome deal running in to someone who has almost the same rim size with width that I'm shooting for along with tires to boot!
Looking forward to your next reply, cheers!
Took some shots for ya. Raining outside so took them in the garage. Was a little tight. But yeah the 9" front is the width of the wheel. 255's in the front are just shy of being flush. Probably a good choice for what you want. 10" (wide) wheel in the rear with the 295's just stick out a smidge. Probably want to go with 275's there. or if someone else has 275's in the front, maybe they can let you know if they come flush or not. but here's the link to the album, if I do it right, that is.

http://s293.photobucket.com/user/flyernatic1/library/Wheels and tires

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
I run Nitto Invos - 245 40R20s on the front, and 275 35R20s on the rear. Rims are 20 X 9 front and 20 X 10 rear. Plenty of room on the speed rating on the Invos.
The Invos seat perfectly on the rims, and the 275s are millimeters from the rear fender flare with no rubbing issues. I know some folks are going wider in the rear, but I don't dare. Maybe 295s wouldn't rub, but I didn't want to take any chances.
The slightly shorter sidewall on the fonts give me an improvement in turning with minimal wear increase.
The car handles exceptionally well with these tire sizes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Took some shots for ya. Raining outside so took them in the garage. Was a little tight. But yeah the 9" front is the width of the wheel. 255's in the front are just shy of being flush. Probably a good choice for what you want. 10" (wide) wheel in the rear with the 295's just stick out a smidge. Probably want to go with 275's there. or if someone else has 275's in the front, maybe they can let you know if they come flush or not. but here's the link to the album, if I do it right, that is.
Thanks for the shots man! I took a look and am pretty darn satisfied with how the fronts look, for sure settled on the 255s for those. The back looks great as well with those 295s but financially I got to stick with the same size tires all around, I drive this car all the time everyday for work and fun so the more mileage I can save on them tires from rotating them the better.

Once I get to a better financial standing with my job I'll stagger the tire sizes a bit. Again, I can't thank you enough for the advice and pictures you provided me with helps keep me at ease in knowing that the new rims/tires will look good and fit well.

I run Nitto Invos - 245 40R20s on the front, and 275 35R20s on the rear. Rims are 20 X 9 front and 20 X 10 rear. Plenty of room on the speed rating on the Invos.
The Invos seat perfectly on the rims, and the 275s are millimeters from the rear fender flare with no rubbing issues. I know some folks are going wider in the rear, but I don't dare. Maybe 295s wouldn't rub, but I didn't want to take any chances.
The slightly shorter sidewall on the fonts give me an improvement in turning with minimal wear increase.
The car handles exceptionally well with these tire sizes.
Will look in to them Nitto Invos, good to know about more optional tires for these cars since they're heavy set. Will definitely stagger the tires more once I'm financially secure in doing so but right now it's sadly gunna have to be the 255s.

Thanks for the reply, cheers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts