Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

· Registered
2020 Scat Pack Shaker, automatic , pitch black
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve seen this discussion start to happen on other platforms and as well as in real life and on YouTube. Let’s see what all you guys think or are planning on doing. I just got my first scat last week, low miles and amazing condition 2020. Of course , my instinct is I wanna drive it, take it to the city , go to car meets , maybe take it to the strip , and really enjoy it. But on the other hand …. Is that the smart thing to do ?? The fact that this might be the last one that any of us own …… after they are discontinued. Won’t be able to trade in a few years and get a new one, etc. Is this the future classic car that will be a rare find ?? That might be worth tons in the future ? Is the potential return investment in the future worth parking it now ?? I wanna drive it, but also know that it’s gonna have to last forever ……. What do you all think ??

· Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
60,847 Posts
I’ve seen this discussion start to happen on other platforms and as well as in real life and on YouTube. Let’s see what all you guys think or are planning on doing. I just got my first scat last week, low miles and amazing condition 2020. Of course , my instinct is I wanna drive it, take it to the city , go to car meets , maybe take it to the strip , and really enjoy it. But on the other hand …. Is that the smart thing to do ?? The fact that this might be the last one that any of us own …… after they are discontinued. Won’t be able to trade in a few years and get a new one, etc. Is this the future classic car that will be a rare find ?? That might be worth tons in the future ? Is the potential return investment in the future worth parking it now ?? I wanna drive it, but also know that it’s gonna have to last forever ……. What do you all think ??
Enjoy it , a lot of time will pass before it will be worth big bucks if ever. There have been many many Scat Packs built.

· Registered
2013 Charger SXT+ AWD, 2021 MX-5 GT MT6
68 Posts
So what will you do to enjoy it. Go out an sit in it, turn it over and dream of how it would feel on the road? Not me, can't even imagine how heartbroken I would be.

· Registered
2022 Scat Pack Shaker
445 Posts
My opinion... you only live once. Take care of it, maintain it properly. If you have a daily driver that is a plus but I would enjoy it.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha, yea….so I am the very petty type with maintenance so I do maintain my stuff. And to answer your question I do have a Ram ….. so the Challenger is the nice days / spring / summer car and mostly local around town with the occasional trip up to the city or pleasure drive……so won’t get crazy high miles.

· Registered
137 Posts
I'm in a similar boat with a 2012 SRT still under 10,000 miles. I bought it in 2019 with about 6500 miles, so I drive it about 800 miles annually. I keep it in as good as condition as I can, and will be garaging it in winters as soon as I can build a pole barn. Here's my opinion on the matter.

Yes, these are extraordinarily awesome cars. I've written at length elsewhere how I think that well maintained low mileage examples will appreciate by maybe a factor of 10x in 3-4 decades. The future is of course unknown but based on cars from the original muscle era's current pricing, and the Challengers being the best of the retros, I think that's a solid bet.

In short, Dodge built around 650,000 total in the 15 year run. Figure most of the V6s will be destroyed from daily driving. A big % of the 5.7s as well. A big % of the 5.7s will be either daily driven or modified and beat on because of their lower price tags. That leaves the 392s and 6.2s. There were less made of these, and probably a larger % will be preserved but that's a smaller number. I'd guess 20% of the 392s and 50% of the 6.2s will be saved from being destroyed from abuse, but that's not a big raw number. In 3 decades I'd guess probably no more than possibly 20 thousand total are in good or better condition, reflecting about a 3% survival rate.

Not driving it is silly. That would be like having an amazing wife, but "saving her" for the next guy. Nonsense.

So, what I will do. I will basically treat it like I would if I had a 1970 Challenger. I'll drive it to keep it maintained, and enjoy it, wash it, take as good care of it as I can. I'll keep it well maintained. Car shows. Parades. Etc. At my 1000 miles per year pace, in 4 decades this will be a car I really enjoyed and still have around 50,000 miles and be considered "low mileage." Even if I double it I'll still be under 100,000 miles. I get a lot of joy from it, despite rarely driving it. It's not the miles, it's the smiles!

What I won't do. I won't make major modifications, won't abuse it, probably won't track or race it or at least not often, won't neglect it, etc. I definitely would NOT daily drive it or use it as a winter driver. I don't use it for errands to the grocery store, home depot, the mall, Walmart, or any mass parking lots where it can be damaged or stolen. Buy a different dedicated vehicle for that purpose. Yes, these are becoming irreplaceable in my view so take good care of the "last of the V8s.... a piece of history."

Assuming the world isn't destroyed, there will be a market in 3 decades, about the time I stop driving. Assuming no damage, crashes, theft, etc. it'll be a nice bonus selling it off having used it for a decades, and the high dollars will be a nice bonus.

Wheel Car Tire Plant Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Window

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm in a similar boat with a 2012 SRT still under 10,000 miles. I bought it in 2019 with about 6500 miles, so I drive it about 800 miles annually. I keep it in as good as condition as I can, and will be garaging it in winters as soon as I can build a pole barn. Here's my opinion on the matter.

Yes, these are extraordinarily awesome cars. I've written at length elsewhere how I think that well maintained low mileage examples will appreciate by maybe a factor of 10x in 3-4 decades. The future is of course unknown but based on cars from the original muscle era's current pricing, and the Challengers being the best of the retros, I think that's a solid bet.

In short, Dodge built around 650,000 total in the 15 year run. Figure most of the V6s will be destroyed from daily driving. A big % of the 5.7s as well. A big % of the 5.7s will be either daily driven or modified and beat on because of their lower price tags. That leaves the 392s and 6.2s. There were less made of these, and probably a larger % will be preserved but that's a smaller number. I'd guess 20% of the 392s and 50% of the 6.2s will be saved from being destroyed from abuse, but that's not a big raw number. In 3 decades I'd guess probably no more than possibly 20 thousand total are in good or better condition, reflecting about a 3% survival rate.

Not driving it is silly. That would be like having an amazing wife, but "saving her" for the next guy. Nonsense.

So, what I will do. I will basically treat it like I would if I had a 1970 Challenger. I'll drive it to keep it maintained, and enjoy it, wash it, take as good care of it as I can. I'll keep it well maintained. Car shows. Parades. Etc. At my 1000 miles per year pace, in 4 decades this will be a car I really enjoyed and still have around 50,000 miles and be considered "low mileage." Even if I double it I'll still be under 100,000 miles. I get a lot of joy from it, despite rarely driving it. It's not the miles, it's the smiles!

What I won't do. I won't make major modifications, won't abuse it, probably won't track or race it or at least not often, won't neglect it, etc. I definitely would NOT daily drive it or use it as a winter driver. I don't use it for errands to the grocery store, home depot, the mall, Walmart, or any mass parking lots where it can be damaged or stolen. Buy a different dedicated vehicle for that purpose. Yes, these are becoming irreplaceable in my view so take good care of the "last of the V8s.... a piece of history."

Assuming the world isn't destroyed, there will be a market in 3 decades, about the time I stop driving. Assuming no damage, crashes, theft, etc. it'll be a nice bonus selling it off having used it for a decades, and the high dollars will be a nice bonus.

View attachment 317077
View attachment 317076
Good answer ! Thank you

· Registered
2013 Charger SXT+ AWD, 2021 MX-5 GT MT6
68 Posts
Agreed. I would treat it like it is the last vehicle I would own. Drove my 2008 MX-5 for 12 years an put 49K on it. Enjoyed it immensely, planned to keep it yet I traded up for the new safety features. Traded it in for a very good price and got a new MX-5 that I will treat the same way. It is pampered, didn't even drive it when the road is wet. Certainly not when there is evidence of salt dust. Loved it every time I took it for frequent drives to work in the spring/summer/fall. Pamper it and enjoy!

· Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
32,374 Posts
I think to each their own. Whatever makes you happy. I know that at my age, I don't give a hoot about what the car will be worth in 30 or 40 years! My last Scat, a 2023 Plum Crazy will be driven as much as I desire, especially the first two years. I do plan on getting a truck after that, as the one I use now will probably be worn out. But if the weather is nice, I drive my Scat year round. Only time I need another daily driver is if we have snow or I am fearful of a hailstorm when traveling. Otherwise I am cruising in the Scat, cranking up the tunes and enjoying the drive!

· Registered
17 Challenger Hellcat 6M - Destroyer Grey
188 Posts
Drive it…don’t look at it as a regular investment, but as an investment in your well being for which you can’t monetize.

I don’t think most would be on their deathbed saying I wished I saved more money as opposed to enjoying my passions. (Albeit if it didn’t take away from your bare necessities in life or leaving your family in poverty).

· Registered
364 Posts
That is the main advantage of an investment like this ( if that is what you are treating it as ) the fact that you can drive and enjoy it while it theoretically increases in value. I'm not sure an Automatic 2020 Scat Pack is going to hit like a 1970 Plymouth Superbird, possibly if you wall up a Demon or one of the new "last call" vehicles in your garage you might make bank in the future but as far as the rest, drive them while looking after them and create some demand for the rest of us when people actually see a vehicle someone actually enjoys that looks as good as they do and maybe your heirs will thank you.

· Registered
137 Posts
Drive it…don’t look at it as a regular investment, but as an investment in your well being for which you can’t monetize.
Would it be a net benefit or harm to ones' mental wellbeing if said Challenger driver came out of Lowes and the car is stolen? Or coming out of the steak house to find someone side swiped it in the parking lot causing serious damages? Or, at 100k miles, it's rusted out and covered in door dings?
For me, my well being is keeping it pristine, low miles, driving it for fun but not daily driving it subjecting it to curb rash, short trips, salt, parking lots, etc.

there are way to many Challengers of all trim levels to bet on them being highly valuable some day.
Re-read my post with some analysis. In the 1960s there were a lot of muscle cars, too. Most have since been destroyed. It's pretty rare to see a pristine one in most states, and the survivors are worth 5x to 10x or more the original value. By analogy, the same thing will happen to the current muscle cars...

· Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
5,638 Posts
Drive the newer one as long as you don't live in the Rust Belt like we do in the Midwest. If you do, then get a beater and store your newer one over winter if you want to keep as a "forever" car. Regardless of any of that, you might at some point entertain buying an older original muscle car of some sort to pleasure cruise in and take to car shows. There are still lots to choose from like Darts, Dusters, Valiants or even some of the mid-to-late 70s cars made towards the tail end of the original muscle era. Those can be fun cars even if you leave a little patina on them and keep some of the originality. Just a few thoughts...exploring the best of both worlds.

· Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Widebody.
59 Posts
Just to put things into perspective, I bought a 1994 25th Anniversary Trans Am, ordered it new and have kept it garaged since new. My wife and I used to enjoy going to car shows with it. There were only 2000 of these produced. 250 convertibles and 1,750 coupes. Of the coupes, 1,412 had t-tops and 338 hardtops. Mine is one of the hardtops and with the opinions available, mine is 1 of 254. My car only has 11,000 miles on it. I have a documented letter from Pontiac of the break downs produced. Next year it will be 30 years old and currently I would be hard pressed to even get sticker price for it. Morale of the story, enjoy it, take care of it, but go ahead and drive it.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

· Registered
364 Posts
Would it be a net benefit or harm to ones' mental wellbeing if said Challenger driver came out of Lowes and the car is stolen? Or coming out of the steak house to find someone side swiped it in the parking lot causing serious damages? Or, at 100k miles, it's rusted out and covered in door dings?
For me, my well being is keeping it pristine, low miles, driving it for fun but not daily driving it subjecting it to curb rash, short trips, salt, parking lots, etc.

Re-read my post with some analysis. In the 1960s there were a lot of muscle cars, too. Most have since been destroyed. It's pretty rare to see a pristine one in most states, and the survivors are worth 5x to 10x or more the original value. By analogy, the same thing will happen to the current muscle cars...
To be honest I have only seen one Dodge Challenger that someone clearly doesn't look after and one other that clearly uses it as a daily driver that is dirty on occasion but no damage and is more often than not shined up. Back in the 60s a muscle car was in range of most people , used examples could be bought by kids and mods wouldn't break the bank. Contrast that with buying a Hellcat or a higher end 392 where owning one is out of reach for most and stays out of reach combined with ICE issues and rush to EVs I'm not sure the same people that want to own one don't already own one so not sure where the demand is going to come from given that demand is usually driven by older people finally having some money to relive their youth. Personally I was looking at getting a driver not show quality V8 1968 or 69 Camaro as my soon to be retired gift to myself and for basically the same amount instead got a new 2015 R/T Plus M6 that may have been the smartest thing I've managed to do (at least vehicle wise). I just don't see a lot of younger people having these as aspirational vehicles so in 30 years just curious who will be buying them. That plus they are made to last these days and I'm not sure there is even such a thing. as demolition derbies anymore to thin out the supply. (I guess there was and might be again a government buy back program but I imagine the next Challenger turned into something like that will be the first one). Drive and enjoy your car while they still allow us to, look after it like you should anyway and be pleasantly surprised if you do get a premium for it in the future...

1 - 20 of 101 Posts