Dodge Challenger Forum banner
81 - 100 of 101 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
I’ve seen this discussion start to happen on other platforms and as well as in real life and on YouTube. Let’s see what all you guys think or are planning on doing. I just got my first scat last week, low miles and amazing condition 2020. Of course , my instinct is I wanna drive it, take it to the city , go to car meets , maybe take it to the strip , and really enjoy it. But on the other hand …. Is that the smart thing to do ?? The fact that this might be the last one that any of us own …… after they are discontinued. Won’t be able to trade in a few years and get a new one, etc. Is this the future classic car that will be a rare find ?? That might be worth tons in the future ? Is the potential return investment in the future worth parking it now ?? I wanna drive it, but also know that it’s gonna have to last forever ……. What do you all think ??
Drive it. A human could be gone tomorrow.

· Registered
1 Posts
I bought my 19 Scat Pack Challenger for a daily driver. I fell in love with this car on the way home from the dealership. I daily drove it for 8 months, then covid hit. That's when the theft of Scats and Hellcats skyrocketed in my area, and even 2 Scats got stolen from my work. I already knew that 23 would be the last year of production. I can't imagine not having this car. I am now afraid to park it anywhere out of sight except in my garage. I figure that it has to last me 15 - 20 years so now it's a pleasure vehicle. I'm really not concerned about it gaining value because I'll probably be dead by time it ever gets high enough that I'd consider parting with it. There turned out to be a financial advantage to this too. My insurance was $1,800 a year. Now as a pleasure vehicle I was able to switch to Grundy and it's $632 a year.

· Registered
123 Posts
I'm in a similar boat with a 2012 SRT still under 10,000 miles. I bought it in 2019 with about 6500 miles, so I drive it about 800 miles annually. I keep it in as good as condition as I can, and will be garaging it in winters as soon as I can build a pole barn. Here's my opinion on the matter.

Yes, these are extraordinarily awesome cars. I've written at length elsewhere how I think that well maintained low mileage examples will appreciate by maybe a factor of 10x in 3-4 decades. The future is of course unknown but based on cars from the original muscle era's current pricing, and the Challengers being the best of the retros, I think that's a solid bet.

In short, Dodge built around 650,000 total in the 15 year run. Figure most of the V6s will be destroyed from daily driving. A big % of the 5.7s as well. A big % of the 5.7s will be either daily driven or modified and beat on because of their lower price tags. That leaves the 392s and 6.2s. There were less made of these, and probably a larger % will be preserved but that's a smaller number. I'd guess 20% of the 392s and 50% of the 6.2s will be saved from being destroyed from abuse, but that's not a big raw number. In 3 decades I'd guess probably no more than possibly 20 thousand total are in good or better condition, reflecting about a 3% survival rate.

Not driving it is silly. That would be like having an amazing wife, but "saving her" for the next guy. Nonsense.

So, what I will do. I will basically treat it like I would if I had a 1970 Challenger. I'll drive it to keep it maintained, and enjoy it, wash it, take as good care of it as I can. I'll keep it well maintained. Car shows. Parades. Etc. At my 1000 miles per year pace, in 4 decades this will be a car I really enjoyed and still have around 50,000 miles and be considered "low mileage." Even if I double it I'll still be under 100,000 miles. I get a lot of joy from it, despite rarely driving it. It's not the miles, it's the smiles!

What I won't do. I won't make major modifications, won't abuse it, probably won't track or race it or at least not often, won't neglect it, etc. I definitely would NOT daily drive it or use it as a winter driver. I don't use it for errands to the grocery store, home depot, the mall, Walmart, or any mass parking lots where it can be damaged or stolen. Buy a different dedicated vehicle for that purpose. Yes, these are becoming irreplaceable in my view so take good care of the "last of the V8s.... a piece of history."

Assuming the world isn't destroyed, there will be a market in 3 decades, about the time I stop driving. Assuming no damage, crashes, theft, etc. it'll be a nice bonus selling it off having used it for a decades, and the high dollars will be a nice bonus.

View attachment 317077
View attachment 317076
👏👏👏 well said! I couldn't have said it better! Hell yeah I totally agree with ya! I mean DRIVE like u stole it (Responsibly of Course).

· Registered
29 Posts
I’ve seen this discussion start to happen on other platforms and as well as in real life and on YouTube. Let’s see what all you guys think or are planning on doing. I just got my first scat last week, low miles and amazing condition 2020. Of course , my instinct is I wanna drive it, take it to the city , go to car meets , maybe take it to the strip , and really enjoy it. But on the other hand …. Is that the smart thing to do ?? The fact that this might be the last one that any of us own …… after they are discontinued. Won’t be able to trade in a few years and get a new one, etc. Is this the future classic car that will be a rare find ?? That might be worth tons in the future ? Is the potential return investment in the future worth parking it now ?? I wanna drive it, but also know that it’s gonna have to last forever ……. What do you all think ??
Drive it and take care of it. Garage it in the snow and rain. But allot of these were built so don't read into big value later. I bought a 2021 WBSCw/Shaker. Only car I ever ordered with my options. Have nonplan to modify but do plan to drive it and have fun. Lives in FL when I bought it and my company ask me to go to Maine so it sees allotnof garage time. Not afraid to drive it just smart about it. Thw plan is fornit to become my sons classic! It will then probably go to hia daughter...she is a car girl! She know exactly what a 70s classic car smells like. Thats cool! She loves Mecum in Orlando every year since ahe was 8!

· Registered
536 Posts
I love driving mine. But as I said about work, it's not only door dings, I work construction and every now and then I've had a nail or screw in my tire on my truck and don't want that on those lower profile tires.

Got it with 25K Mile's, it has 36.6K now. Had it 3 years. I'll drive it more than I have lately. Ive worked out of state and took it with me but the job parking here in Vegas sucks.

Don't care if it gets 200K, I'm not getting rid of it but not waiting to cash in either. Just don't want to ding her up from work with the others that don't care about your car. They park like sh** and aren't careful. And won't leave a note of they hit it. Seen that happen.

The kids will be around for that high value. I likely won't....unless it happen quicker since EVs are coming.

· Registered
28 Posts
I’m glad I took the time to read this post. It changed my perspective on the direction I was headed (garage queen). I’m a driver and it kills me to watch this thing sit. I thought it would be cool to buy a new muscle car (with my car enthusiast son present) and keep it in the family for years to come. Since buying it my son seems to becoming more interested in a mustang. 🤯 Screw it. I’m driving this sucker now.

· Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
32,378 Posts
I’m glad I took the time to read this post. It changed my perspective on the direction I was headed (garage queen). I’m a driver and it kills me to watch this thing sit. I thought it would be cool to buy a new muscle car (with my car enthusiast son present) and keep it in the family for years to come. Since buying it my son seems to becoming more interested in a mustang. 🤯 Screw it. I’m driving this sucker now.
Glad to hear that!

· Registered
2020 Scat Pack Shaker, automatic , pitch black
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
See ! It’s a good food for thought topic with lots of good replies. I think after seeing all the replies , the general consensus is to take care of it well and drive as much as you desire……which is where I was headed pretty much anyways. If they weren’t discontinuing them, would be easy …… you could always get another down the line…… but as it is right now, having a new or newer one will never happen again. MAYBE……wishful thinking…..this electric revolution may not happen as fast, or they won’t have the infrastructure, or people won’t buy into it …….. and in a few years , Dodge launches a “rebirth “ of the Challenger / Charger …… maybe an awesome design with that new engine in it.

· Registered
12,713 Posts
After I bought mine new in Sept 2010 I was in love with it.
It was bought as a pleasure car to drive on bluebird days (including back and forth to work prior to my retirement) and parked in the garage during these Wisconsin winters.
My plan from day 1 was to keep it "forever", meticulously maintain it, and enjoy it until I can't drive anymore.
I have no illusions that it will be worth anything more than a used car 20 years from now, but I'm going to be that 80 year old guy that people see at the gas station (fingers crossed) with a 35 year old cool purple car that looks like it just came off the show-room floor and sounds like a rabid dog.

· Registered
4,364 Posts
It was bought as a pleasure car to drive on bluebird days (including back and forth to work prior to my retirement) and parked in the garage during these Wisconsin winters.
My plan from day 1 was to keep it "forever", meticulously maintain it, and enjoy it until I can't drive anymore.
I have no illusions that it will be worth anything more than a used car 20 years from now, but I'm going to be that 80 year old guy that people see at the gas station (fingers crossed) with a 35 year old cool purple car that looks like it just came off the show-room floor and sounds like a rabid dog.
Exactly! My Sentiments Exactly! I'll be 81 when she's 25. I would hope the Woodward Cruise will still be around. That's where I saw my first Plum Crazy R/T Classic. 2010 Woodward Cruise was my first car show!

· Registered
137 Posts
Me too. :) Great minds think alike.

· Registered
3 Posts
Drive, drive, drive! People that save and collect iconic cars for investment purposes don't really "love" those cars, it's a return on investment. Those of us that wait and buy a specially equipped car, a custom factory order "love" that car. I plan on driving it whenever it pleases me because that car is for me and whom ever shares the passenger seat. It makes me smile just seeing it parked in my garage on any day or driving down the road, any road.
As far as the EVs, don't spend all your bitcoin yet. Lots of questions & no answers. FCA is all in on the "death of the V-8s" or are they? Challengers and Chargers disappeared once...and came back.

· Registered
2020 Scat Pack Shaker, automatic , pitch black
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
That w
Drive, drive, drive! People that save and collect iconic cars for investment purposes don't really "love" those cars, it's a return on investment. Those of us that wait and buy a specially equipped car, a custom factory order "love" that car. I plan on driving it whenever it pleases me because that car is for me and whom ever shares the passenger seat. It makes me smile just seeing it parked in my garage on any day or driving down the road, any road.
As far as the EVs, don't spend all your bitcoin yet. Lots of questions & no answers. FCA is all in on the "death of the V-8s" or are they? Challengers and Chargers disappeared once...and came back.
that would be awesome :) a rebirth in the future …… maybe a cool new design , who knows

· Registered
137 Posts
I say drive and enjoy it! My son (18) told me the other day "when I'm your age (48) I'm going to be pulling these things out of garages and bushes to restore them". Your looking at at least 50 or 60 years before a mint condition low mile 2020 challenger would be Rollin onto the auction block.
I disagree on the timeline. Humans are on an accelerated path where things / events occur exponentially faster than before. Take a late 1960s or 1970 muscle car. They suffered badly from poor fuel economy, many fuel crisis, and significant economic downturns basically the entire decade of the 1970s and early 1980s was a depression/recession. A lost 15 years, probably. Smaller and EFI cars were then dominating the markets.

Their values started escalating probably early 2000s. Hagerty started tracking an increase in values circa 2007, that dipped in 08, and then soared in 2014. That means it took about 40 years. On a very slow timeline, that included several huge market crashes ('87, 2001, 2008, and current), and 3 major wars (Vietnam, OIF, OEF). Plus enormous improvements in automotive technology and computing power. Finally, that era of cars are totally impractical for daily driving, not at all safe or efficient.

The other component is the economy and buyers with disposable money, fuel availability/cost, roads, safety, technology, etc.

When EVs become the norm, and lead to huge disappointments in performance/longevity, I think there will be a large increased demand for ICE muscle. Especially in trucks and muscle cars. That'll start in about a decade and by 2040 or so the demand will be enormous IMO. That means the 2010 Challengers will be about 30 years old.

Unlike the impractical cars of the 60s, a modern muscle car is not impractical for use. It's efficient, safe, comfortable, etc.

· Registered
35 Posts
Glad you/re going to drive it! Take the son along.....it will help with the Mustang urge!

· Registered
31 Posts
I have a 2017 TA 5.7 with 46k on it, and hopefully within 5 yrs, I will buy a Scat or 392 RT, so i will have 2. I figure the TA will be at around 60k by then, hopefully I can get a low mile 6.4 car. I will drive and enjoy them both, by the time they'd be worth anything, I will be too old to drive or dead Lol. Haha!! 👍💪

· Registered
5 Posts
Drive it!! Store, "the right way" in the winter. If you live where it's warm, drive it every non rainy day. They rust worse than the older Dodge Trucks, when not taken care of. Oh yeah, and don't forget regular maintenance. Especially the oil every 3,000 miles.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts