Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To get straight to the point.

I'm looking at putting a 3.70 LSD on my 2015 Challenger RT+ and I'm trying to find a good NA cam to match that. My end goal is be over 400whp while maintaining some drivability for daily use. I have looked at Texas Speeds cam kits and they recommend the stage 2 or 3 with the 3.70 gears. Does anyone have any experience with these cams or know of a good cam to throw in?

Thank you for any assistance!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Do you have an auto or manual? If auto the converter becomes an important part. Stall comes into play when choosing cam/gears. Standard then it doesnt matter. What gear do you currently have?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an auto and the stock gearing is 3.07 with an open diff. Texas speed recommended a 3400+ stall converter for their stage 3 cam.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Youll need a bunch of bolt ons togo along with the cam to get 400rwhp. All the parts must compliment the rest to make it work. Headers, good flowing exhaust, high flow cats, unlocked pcm, intake, tune. Ive seen guys get close with the 392 cam. The texas stage 3 should get you close with the right components including the stall. It will probably need to be on a dyno and not an email tune. Just remember your sacrificing some bottom end when going with big cam. They are made to make power up top. Drivability and big cams are two words usually not in the same post.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
^^^ ,agreed . look at a comp 270 as in the scat 2 kit and remember to do springs , hd pushrods and tie bars too. it's a great way to get rid of mds.:cool:

Reactions: APG1

·
Registered
83 Posts
Carl, 400 RWHP is obtainable with " bolt ons " . When my 2016 Shaker R/T was NA with a CompCam 270,
HHP/BES stage 3 CNC ported aluminum heads, heavy duty push rods, 3000 RPM stall speed torque converter, JBA long tube headers with high flow cats into a Borla cat back exhaust. Custom dyno tuned with the results being 444 RWHP and 428 RWT.
Being that your car is a 2015 a unlocked PCM will be required so the car can be tuned.
My car has an auto transmission and I have a ZF rear differential as you do and I swapped for a ZF LSD with 3.69 gears, Works very well but you will have to have the TCM re-tuned because of that gear ratio.
Remember if you do not change your heads when you install a high performance cam you will have to change the valve springs in the stock heads to be compatible with the cam. Lift and duration on the new cam is for performance and your shift points will go from ( stock motor ) around the 5300 - 5400 RPM to 6300 to 6400 RPM,. this is at WOT and will be set in the tune.
Wider tires should also be considered, 305's on a 10.5 wide wheel to get that new power to the ground.
Depending what your final goal for the car is, as you increase HP and torque other parts of the motor, drive train and rear suspension will have to be modified to accept the HP and torque the motor is producing. It becomes a complete package and it all has to be compatible.

Reactions: mike t

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
Carl, 400 RWHP is obtainable with " bolt ons " .
No cam needed to reach that goal either, Bolt Ons, completely outside of going into the engine will get you there.

Higher flowing air in, and out of the engine to the tailpipe, supported by a high performance engine tune will get you to 400RWHP+, but then you need to be able to get that power to ground. With a LSD differential, wider rear rims, and wider rear tires, the difference between those changes and your stock 2015 is night and day difference.

I know B Mason recommended a 3.70 LSD. but for the automatic 8 the 3.09 LSD is a plug and play so to speak swap for the 3.07 Open Diff.

When you start changing internal engine parameters, you put chasing the problem in motion as each change affects other components in the drive line, just the fact you're already talking torque converter change should be a wake up.

The 3.70 LSD will have you running higher RPMs through all the gear range, and if you have not even put a tune in your 2015 you have no idea what just that tune will give you in performance increase.

Now if that is what you really want to do, then go for it, it is your money to spend, but, upgrades are eventually an expensive endeavor, it is a lot easier to change something outside of the engine than inside, especially if your plan does not yield what you hoped it would. Ry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts