Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  • I have looked and looked. I can't seem to find the JLTs or even the stock bottom box with a headlight inlet tube that fits my car. I bought hellcat bottom bix and air scoop tube, but it was almost 2 inches to short to reach the headlight.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
60,457 Posts
  • I have looked and looked. I can't seem to find the JLTs or even the stock bottom box with a headlight inlet tube that fits my car. I bought hellcat bottom bix and air scoop tube, but it was almost 2 inches to short to reach the headlight.
How is that possible? The airbox location has not changed unless the headlight has changed for 22 or it is the wrong tube.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not the same, but... I have a 22 R/T I tried to put in the non-silenced air tube that was a MOPAR part. No CAI, nothing but that tube that is supposedly more subdued on the 22 R/T's. Dealer tech showed me how it didn't work. apparently there is a sensor there on the tube that used to be on the airbox on the '21's and earlier. Of course the website fitment thingy said it would work, but it didn't. My learning is that you have to be careful with the stuff that says it goes on 22's. Seems like there are some small annoying changes on stuff...
Anywho, brian461973 , let's stay in touch on this board regarding upgrades in the future, as I am planning some but no power stuff until the warranty croaks!

·
Administrator
60,457 Posts
Why are you changing the intake tube? No reason to with a 2022. Older models that had the silencer were often changed to a Charger tube that did not have the silencer. Your first statement said the headlight tube was short?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Why? Because I didn't know any better at the time. I had been reading older posts and thought the 'silenced tube' was the one on my '22R/T, so I ordered the 'nonsilenced' verison. This illustrates my point from earlier that as a '22 owner you have to be careful about what your're reading because ours might be a little different when it comes to fitment of parts. Never said it was tto short, just that it was incompatible with my, 22 RT. Lesson learned; be more careful when it comes to fitment, don't believe all the hype on parts, and now I know mine runs the non-silenced, i.e. 'louder' version, which is great for me.

·
Administrator
60,457 Posts
Why? Because I didn't know any better at the time. I had been reading older posts and thought the 'silenced tube' was the one on my '22R/T, so I ordered the 'nonsilenced' verison. This illustrates my point from earlier that as a '22 owner you have to be careful about what your're reading because ours might be a little different when it comes to fitment of parts. Never said it was tto short, just that it was incompatible with my, 22 RT. Lesson learned; be more careful when it comes to fitment, don't believe all the hype on parts, and now I know mine runs the non-silenced, i.e. 'louder' version, which is great for me.
Confused you with the thread starter, sorry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why are you changing the intake tube? No reason to with a 2022. Older models that had the silencer were often changed to a Charger tube that did not have the silencer. Your first statement said the headlight tube was short?
Yes, the headlight inlet tube that connects to the airbox and covers the headlight opening.
Even crazier, my wife also bought the 22 rt charger. Went to put a better filter in, hers came with the hellcat airbox lower, has the headlight inlet tube, but the factory placed the tube inside the box and facing inside the box. I will take pics and show you what I am talking about this weekend.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Yes, the headlight inlet tube that connects to the airbox and covers the headlight opening.
Even crazier, my wife also bought the 22 rt charger. Went to put a better filter in, hers came with the hellcat airbox lower, has the headlight inlet tube, but the factory placed the tube inside the box and facing inside the box. I will take pics and show you what I am talking about this weekend.
I wonder if they are raiding the parts bin as production goes to zero.

Reactions: Patrick70

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The air box lid on the 22 RT Charger also had this filter looking thing mounted and fastened into the top of the airbox. I broke it out of the box earlier. It was fastened to the lid by platic rivets.
I have never seens this before. I will say neither car came with that sound tube that is usually factory and sits to the side of the air tube.
I kind of wish now I didnt break it out. It loks like it has a dark substance inside of it and a little thick with it as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, the charcoal filter that is now plastic riveted to the lid of the airbox is for new EPA. I watched the video about it. I just don't know why my 22 RT Challenger did not have this as well. Both bought within 3 weeks of each othrr from same dealership.
Video showed it on a dyno stock with this new epa filter on the lid with stock filter, again without the epa filter made a 3hp difference.
Then same test with aftermarket afe filter dry with the epa charcoal lid filter on and then without the epa filtet with afe filter. Difference was about 7hp.

·
Administrator
60,457 Posts
Apparently these filters have been around for years on other makes , I have no clue why they are just showing up on Challengers now and why the same year Charger does not have one. wonder if it is a California thing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts