Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was sitting in a drive through, bringing my wife home from the doctor after learning she is having a miscarriage. It is about 108 degrees outside, A/V going, gear shift in 1st, clutch pushed in, crying wife next to me. All the sudden my Challenger starts idling about 900_1000rpm, sounds like the fans are running full blast, and the temp gauge is one notch passed half way, but fluctuating back and forth. I hurry up and drive home, only about a mile. The gauge swings almost all the way to the red as I accelerate, but goes back down a bit as I slow down. I get home and let the car sit for about four hours, didn't really want to deal with it. If I had been thinking a little more clearly I would have checked the temp numbers in the display, but I didn't.

At 630 it's still about 110 outside and the water temp gauge is sitting maybe 1/4 of the way still. Now the car is idling fine, no high idle at all. A road test had the temp gauge doing the same thing. Ran about a mile down the road at about 50 in 4th gear, needle swings way in to the hot zone. The numbers in the computer are showing around 245 or so.

Reservoir is full of fluid, but didn't have time to check much of anything else. What are some of the possibilities that I am looking at?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I'm sorry I can't help you with your car issues, I'm not too familiar with the inner workings of the combustible engine unfortunately.

But I would like to give my condolences to you and your wife, going through a miscarriage is very tough, my wife and I had to go through it twice before we were blessed with our daughter. I wish you guys nothing but the best and hope your wife has a speedy recovery.

·
Dazed & Confused
34,882 Posts
My first thought would be something wrong with the thermostat if the cooling fans are running. Another would be if (for some reason) the wrong type antifreeze was added at some point and the system has gelled or corroded.

·
What's Old is New Again!
33,906 Posts
It also sounds like there may be some air in the system. You can vent it by cracking the vent plug on the thermostat housing.

Also, have you changed you thermostat toa 180°? If so, did you put the weep hole in the 12 o'clock position?

·
2012 RT Redline Tri Coat
3,672 Posts
Hey DesertGuy, sorry to hear about the miscarriage. Its so disheartening and such a huge letdown. Take care of her, she really needs you now.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
8,969 Posts
Very sorry for your wife and yourself on the news of her miscarriage. Keep an eye on your better half and if she or both of you need counseling, ask the hospital or your church about support groups that help couples deal with miscarriages.

I think Joe's suggestion of checking the thermostat is solid advice, given your description of how your Challenger suddenly overheated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have you performed any maintenance on the cooling system lately (or even in the past several months)? If so did you properly bleed the cooling system? As a previous poster mentioned you may have air in your cooling system. If you did not do anything to your cooling system then perhaps a coolant temperature sensor is bad. Also, have you exhaustively checked for coolant leaks? In addition, since the overheating occurs under high load (hard acceleration/idling for long periods) it is also possible your thermostat is only partially opening. I can think of a lot of other things such as a collapsed radiator hose or engine damage due to a bad mod but you need to start ruling out things one by one.

·
801 RWHP
7,730 Posts
There arent a lot of comforting words to say. So then I will just say how very sorry I am this happened to you and your wife. So my family will be sending you good vibes and praying for the strength you require, right now. I wish you to find peace with this as soon as possible so you can move forward. Be as positive as you can for each other.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
There arent a lot of comforting words to say. So then I will just say how very sorry I am this happened to you and your wife. So my family will be sending you good vibes and praying for the strength you require, right now. I wish you to find peace with this as soon as possible so you can move forward. Be as positive as you can for each other.
Bill, that last post exemplifies the caliber and character of the people of this forum. I am certain it reflects the thoughts and wishes of virtually all the members. Our thoughts are with you and your family DesertGuy.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all, for everything. The wife is doing better physically, once in a while it hits her emotionally to the point where she still cries. However, she is doing better in this area too.

As for my Challenger:

I switched to a 180° Thermostat about 6 months ago and I never had a problem until now. I was a little low on coolant, but not that much, so I didn't think that was the issue. Last weekend I bought coolant and a stock thermostat as I couldn't find another 180°in town, changed it out, added coolant a little at a time, and that was it. No more overheating and she still runs the same temp as before with the 180° thermostat (hard to keep a car cool in the desert heat).

Poured the rest of the coolant in the wife's 2006 300C. That used to be my dads car. It has over 248,000 miles on it and still going strong.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts