Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello experts. Hope everyone is doing well. I have a question...I recently added a cold air intake on my 2009 Challenger R/T. The next day it threw this code/Check engine light. I ran the code and it says it is for " 'B' Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit (Bank 1) open or shorted" I don't have any rough idle or starting issues or anything so I don't think actuator is actually open and it may just be a short in the sensor. I am curious that the cold air intake I added may be causing a false positive on that code. I don't know if the 2 things can actually even be related or not. I just don't want to replace the sensor for it to just happen again. FYI...I have already checked to see if the connector got bumped off the top of the sensor and it is connected. Any input would be great guys.

Thanks,
Daniel~

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't think the two are related but here is some more info but I'm guessing you've probably already read it.

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0013
Thanks...Yes I have seen this. It is just because of the timing. I did the intake and with only about 30 minutes of drive time after it kicked that code. They don't seem related as far as the definition of the code. Just the timing is what made me question it. The ECU may still be getting used to the higher air flow and now I have a gremlin. I will clear the code and road test it. Hopefully that will keep gismo out from under my hood.

Thanks again for the reply tho.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
I think this (P0013) was discussed on here a couple years back. I can't find the thread but the cause of the problem was the Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid that failed. This actuator is oil pressure driven and controls the advance or retard of the camshaft for variable timing.
Questions before you throw money at the part:
Are you using the recommended weight oil viscosity? (shows this on top of oil fill cap)
Have you been diligent with oil changes?

The wrong oil viscosity or thick sludgy oil could cause this fault.

If the actuator has failed you can do this fix yourself if you're handy with a wrench.

The solenoid actuator is located under your intake (not the CAI you installed but the actual intake that sits on top of the motor).

If you take the intake off the motor you'll see the actuator inserted towards the front of the motor.
Here's some videos to give you an idea. The second video shows the solenoid actuator replacement on a Charger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts