Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My vehicle (2019 Challenger Scatpack) just threw a code (P0128). I installed a 180 degree thermostat about 8 months ago, and have had no problems until yesterday. As I understand it, the code is for "vehicle not getting up to temp within a specified time frame". I live in South Florida, and it was 82 degrees outside, and my vehicle was already over 180 degrees when the light came on. Car seems to be heating up and cooling normally, So I don't think its a thermostat. This seems odd. Does anyone have any idea why this would happen? I also am unable to clear the code myself, since the PCM is locked.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
164 Posts
Did you have the PCM retuned for the new lower temp thermostat?

Reactions: DodgeFL

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you have the PCM retuned for the new lower temp thermostat?
I still have the locked PCM. I have not tuned it. I am getting a tune / Unlocked PCM in the next few weeks though.
from what I have seen though, as long as it gets over 160 degrees, you are ok. While driving mine stays at 185 degrees.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,779 Posts
I still have the locked PCM. I have not tuned it. I am getting a tune / Unlocked PCM in the next few weeks though.
from what I have seen though, as long as it gets over 160 degrees, you are ok. While driving mine stays at 185 degrees.
<sigh> 185F is too cold regardless if the CEL lights up or not.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Always use the Spec Temp Thermostat or it will keep throwing codes and mess up the efficiency MPG.
I installed the 180 thermostat over 8 months ago with no problems. From what I have heard, the code will only come on if the vehicle is not over 160 degrees within a certain time period of driving. It should not throw a code unless the vehicle does not get over 160 degrees. Also, I don't care about efficiency.. I care about better performance. I didn't buy the car for its gas mileage :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since your car is a 2019 you do realize that once you unlock your PCM your powertrain warranty is out the window?
Possibly. They have to prove that what I did caused the problem. They can try to deny a claim for any reason they want to. they can say you used the wrong oil or gas, or whatever they want. But yes, I understand I am at a much higher risk of voiding my warranty. If it breaks, that will just be an excuse to put a 426 stroker in it :)

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I installed the 180 thermostat over 8 months ago with no problems. From what I have heard, the code will only come on if the vehicle is not over 160 degrees within a certain time period of driving. It should not throw a code unless the vehicle does not get over 160 degrees. Also, I don't care about efficiency.. I care about better performance. I didn't buy the car for its gas mileage :)
Chances are performance is down with the lower T-stat.

The lower coolant temperature results in a greater temperature gradient between the pistons and cylinders. The pistons still get exposed to the hot combustion gases and this causes them to swell. With the cylinder walls cooled this causes the cylinders to contract. This can increase engine friction. It is also known to increase wear.

If the lower temperature T-stat results in lowering the oil temperature this increases parasitic load arising from having to pump colder "thicker" oil. More power loss.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Possibly. They have to prove that what I did caused the problem. They can try to deny a claim for any reason they want to. they can say you used the wrong oil or gas, or whatever they want. But yes, I understand I am at a much higher risk of voiding my warranty. If it breaks, that will just be an excuse to put a 426 stroker in it :)
That's not true. That is just what those that modify their cars say to try to convince themselves and others the mod's are ok.

The warranty booklet states: "Your warranties do not cover the costs of repairing damage or conditions caused by any of the following:

Tampering with the emission systems, or with a part that could affect the emission systems.
"

A modification to the engine controller clearly falls under the above exclusion.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chances are performance is down with the lower T-stat.

The lower coolant temperature results in a greater temperature gradient between the pistons and cylinders. The pistons still get exposed to the hot combustion gases and this causes them to swell. With the cylinder walls cooled this causes the cylinders to contract. This can increase engine friction. It is also known to increase wear.

If the lower temperature T-stat results in lowering the oil temperature this increases parasitic load arising from having to pump colder "thicker" oil. More power loss.
I think we may have argued this point before on another thread? Lower temps allow you to add more timing, therefore making more power. Tuners recommend a lower temp thermostat to do just that.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's not true. That is just what those that modify their cars say to try to convince themselves and others the mod's are ok.

The warranty booklet states: "Your warranties do not cover the costs of repairing damage or conditions caused by any of the following:

Tampering with the emission systems, or with a part that could affect the emission systems.
"

A modification to the engine controller clearly falls under the above exclusion.
So what happens if you do a muffler delete, and your transmission blows? will your drivetrain warranty claim be denied? Or if you add a cold air intake and your oil pump stops working? They have to show that the modification you made to a system caused the damage to that system. I get it. after my PCM swap, I am pretty much screwed with regards to my drivetrain warranty, but it depends on what breaks, and who you know :)

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
899 Posts
Every time you throw a code the PCM and BCM records that so if certain issues come up and you take it in they will inform you when they scan the car ... JUST an FYI

Also this is from a Dealer pay attention:

anything that requires tuning will affect your warranty, basically cat back and cold air only, cosmetic mods etc

and do not let any tuning pcm unlocking vendor tell you that their way can be hidden, it cannot.......

and the manufacturer is now requiring dealers for any major components to induce a computer fault, which creates a scan report uploaded to them

·
Registered
317 Posts
Possibly. They have to prove that what I did caused the problem.

That's a myth. When you unlock the PCM a code P1400 is recorded and stored and that P1400 code will be the basis for FCA to deny any powertrain warranty repairs. The dealer will tell you that and FCA will tell you that when they deny your claim. FCA holds the warranty, they don't have to prove anything to anybody, they'll just deny your claim. You could then hire a lawyer and sue them to get the repair covered and maybe, maybe you'd win (most likely not) but what will that cost and how long will that process take?

They have to show that the modification you made to a system caused the damage to that system.

Show who? The warranty police?

Listen to Wm. Internet Rock DJ, he has it exactly right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts