Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was backing out of the convenience store my challenger flashed that my power steering had an issue and it stalled. Then it wouldn't start or go into neutral. it was stuck. I pulled the power steering fuse, waited a few minutes and plugged it back in. It started up and the power steering light went away. I made it into my driveway and the same issue happened again. I let the car sit and later I got an ODBII reader and it pulled 4 codes - P0850 and 3 other that have to do with low battery voltage. I replaced the battery and now the DTC P0850 Park/Neutral Position (PNP) Switch Circuit is the only code I get.

If anyone has had this issue before please let me know. It almost sounds too good to be true that this can all be because of one switch. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
49,525 Posts
Welcome from AZ, somebody may have an answer for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Btw I’m in Japan so don’t tell me to just go to the dealer. Cause there isn’t one. 😂

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
As I was backing out of the convenience store my challenger flashed that my power steering had an issue and it stalled. Then it wouldn't start or go into neutral. it was stuck. I pulled the power steering fuse, waited a few minutes and plugged it back in. It started up and the power steering light went away. I made it into my driveway and the same issue happened again. I let the car sit and later I got an ODBII reader and it pulled 4 codes - P0850 and 3 other that have to do with low battery voltage. I replaced the battery and now the DTC P0850 Park/Neutral Position (PNP) Switch Circuit is the only code I get.

If anyone has had this issue before please let me know. It almost sounds too good to be true that this can all be because of one switch. Thanks in advance for the help.
The info at this link may be of some value:

Check the wiring/connector of the switch. If wiring ok if connection good -- fully seated, no bent pins, broken pins -- replacement of the switch is probably called for.

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
damn.... you think so? car only has 10k miles.
Its under warranty but you have no dealer network. You are kinda screwed. That thing on my Grand Cherokee went bad 5 days after I brought the thing home. Just a factory defect. But at least on mine I could drive it to the dealer. I just had to lean on the shift lever. Nothing is serviceable in the damn thing. Maybe you can work with a Toyota dealer, let them fix it and they can warranty the part through the FCA network.
-John

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
Oh BTW... the dealership keeps those parts in stock. I couldn't believe how fast they replaced it. I was driving back home in 90 minutes.
-John

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
damn.... you think so? car only has 10k miles.
10K miles is still a new car. This problem is probably a bad switch and just what the new car warranty is there for.

Could be worse. My 2108 Hellcat NAV system is wonky. Had me nearly 100 miles away from my actual location at one point the other day. Best it could manage is around 20 miles south of my actual position but where there were no roads.

Driving around today the direction displayed as part of the NAV application icon looks like someone spinning the needle on a compass. About all I know is the direction it indicates the car is traveling is not the direction it is traveling.

Have an appointment Tuesday to get this sorted. The NAV system (probably the entire uConnect/radio thing) will probably need to be replaced. Car has just 22K miles on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reporting back with good news! I found a Jeep dealership in Japan. They took the car in and found that the issue was a bad ground wire to the front terminals. They replaced it and took care of the recalls for about $100. Glad to have her back on the road.

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
Reporting back with good news! I found a Jeep dealership in Japan. They took the car in and found that the issue was a bad ground wire to the front terminals. They replaced it and took care of the recalls for about $100. Glad to have her back on the road.
The front terminals of what?
-John

·
Registered
818 Posts
What did you have to pay $100.00 for?

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
The front posts near the fuse box.
That's some good troubleshooting. Bad grounds can drive a mechanic crazy. Some are not readily apparent such as high resistance connections. Like a ground lug through a painted surface. Those are the ones where a good Ohm meter becomes necessary. As you found out, a bad ground crippled your car.
-John

1 - 18 of 18 Posts