Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have a check engine light that recently turned on due to a misfire. I took it to the dealership and they said it was because the ignition coil was not factory. So they replaced the 2nd cylinder ingition coil and the engine light turned back on again. The dealership is no help unfortunately.

·
Registered
351 Posts
You more then likely have a bad injector. Ive done this code on a few cars and it was the injector on every one. Different cylinders but same code. Swap the injector to the other side of engine and see if the code follows.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Not unless its burned up from the excess fuel. The imbalance is the o2's reading excessive fuel from bank 2. The misfire will tell you what cylinder the injector is bad. If they changed #2 coil then the misfire must have been on #2 cylinder. Pull the injector and swap it with #1. The code should switch to bank 1 excessive. Then buy an injector and replace it. Probably should put plugs in #2 cylinder if its misfiring. Best to change all 16 but the affected cylinder will suffice if $$ is tight.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not unless its burned up from the excess fuel. The imbalance is the o2's reading excessive fuel from bank 2. The misfire will tell you what cylinder the injector is bad. If they changed #2 coil then the misfire must have been on #2 cylinder. Pull the injector and swap it with #1. The code should switch to bank 1 excessive. Then buy an injector and replace it. Probably should put plugs in #2 cylinder if its misfiring. Best to change all 16 but the affected cylinder will suffice if $$ is tight.
ok i got it off. Now looking around for a new fuel injector.

·
Registered
351 Posts
You can get one at the local parts stores. They are not hard to get out. Put a little oil or grease on the new o-rings. Will make it much easier to get back in and together

·
Registered
351 Posts
Make sure you swap it over to the other side of engine first before going out and buying one. See if the code follows the injector. Check the intake bolts also. Make sure they are tight. Never just throw parts at it without diagnosing it first. Seen lots of techs try this and end up wasting $$.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Make sure you swap it over to the other side of engine first before going out and buying one. See if the code follows the injector. Check the intake bolts also. Make sure they are tight. Never just throw parts at it without diagnosing it first. Seen lots of techs try this and end up wasting $$.
Yea I was gonna put a new one on it but there’s wasn’t any available at my local shop so i just switched out bank 2 with the other side. It had a rough start and rattled a little when I just cracked the car on. Should I discount and connect the battery before i run another test on it ?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Disconnecting the battery does very little. You need a way to clear the codes. Rough start is probably from air in the fuel system. Takes a sec or two to clear the air out.

·
Registered
351 Posts
What year is your car and engine?
Does it have any loud tapping?
Your going to need to do some diagnostics on it. Check the intake bolts. Make sure they are tight. Switch the plugs to cylinder 1.
Get some brake parts cleaner and spray a LITTLE around the #2 cylinder. See if engine sound, rpm's change.
If none of that helps then do a compression check on #2 cylinder and see what it reads.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It’s 2015 challanger scatpack. 6.4 engine. I ran a test on it yesterday also. Now some people are telling me to change both of the o2 sensors on passanger side.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It only has 37 THOUSAND MILES on it! It’s sad that it’s acting up like this with such low miles.

·
Registered
351 Posts
You can try the o2's but doubt its going to do anything. The cause is the misfire. Your putting unburnt fuel into the exhaust system and this is what the o2 sees and ecu triggers the code.
If the coil was previously changed then it sounds like the #2 cylinder has been an issue. If you swapped the #2 injector to the #1 location then id do a compression check and check for a vacuum leak around the intake. If the cylinder doesnt have enough compression to fire that cylinder, it never will. The lifters are a known problem. They eat up and then valve wont open causing loss of compression. You have 2 choices, either diagnose it or have it diagnosed. Im not one that just throws parts at a car in hopes to find the issue. I also dont know your mechanical abilities either or the tools you have access to.
There is a tsb for this code also but id think the dealer would have done the ecu software upgrade already. If its a definite misfire then an update wont help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can try the o2's but doubt its going to do anything. The cause is the misfire. Your putting unburnt fuel into the exhaust system and this is what the o2 sees and ecu triggers the code.
If the coil was previously changed then it sounds like the #2 cylinder has been an issue. If you swapped the #2 injector to the #1 location then id do a compression check and check for a vacuum leak around the intake. If the cylinder doesnt have enough compression to fire that cylinder, it never will. The lifters are a known problem. They eat up and then valve wont open causing loss of compression. You have 2 choices, either diagnose it or have it diagnosed. Im not one that just throws parts at a car in hopes to find the issue. I also dont know your mechanical abilities either or the tools you have access to.
There is a tsb for this code also but id think the dealer would have done the ecu software upgrade already. If its a definite misfire then an update wont help.
It’s going back to the dealer tomorrow but it seems like they don’t know what they’re doing. They had my car for a week and the only thing they did was change the ignition coil.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Dang, that’s a lot of issues that could be wrong with my car 😞.
Unfortunately yes, but theres ways to narrow it down without going out of pocket. Swapping the stuff from one bank to the other and compression checks can narrow it down a bunch. Notice theres no 02 on the issue section. You can swap the upstreams also from one bank to the other but i doubt it would be productive. On the cars/trucks ive done it always came out to be the injector. They are known to have issues. Not sure if its from the filter being in the regulator and non serviceable or just bad design. I had to change an injector out on mine cause it would leak out over night and cause a misfire in the mornings but clear up quickly once started. It never gave me the imbalance code tho.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts