Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just traded my 2012 Blue Streak Pearl for a 2014 Phantom Black 100th Aniversary Edition on Saturday. I am considering getting the paint protection tomorrow. I was wondering if it is worth it. We all keep our Challengers immaculate so I am not sure if it will look any better or the paint will last any longer. Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
58,916 Posts
I just traded my 2012 Blue Streak Pearl for a 2014 Phantom Black 100th Aniversary Edition on Saturday. I am considering getting the paint protection tomorrow. I was wondering if it is worth it. We all keep our Challengers immaculate so I am not sure if it will look any better or the paint will last any longer. Any thoughts?
Usually paint protection plans are a huge profit for dealers, so research might be in order for you.

·
Premium Member
39,846 Posts
Usually paint protection plans are a huge profit for dealers, so research might be in order for you.
Yes, by all means do your homework on this one!

·
Registered
614 Posts
^^X3^^ - Generally this is a waste of money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all so much. I just needed that little push to cancel the appointment. I thought the same thing, my 2012 looked fabulous without any paint protection and I enjoy making my car look good on my own! I have done some research and it does seem like a waste of money. My son works at a dealership and he advises against it also.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Would love to see it!

Black is a tough color to keep clean and looking good (I know I have a black Ram QC 4x4). Just keep a good wax job on it and that should be all the protection you need.

·
Registered
402 Posts
basically they'll spray some good wax on it and way overcharge you. There's no "paint protection" you can apply without sanding the paint and adding a better UV clear coat

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
11,025 Posts
Ask any detailer (heck, ask me!) and you'll quickly find that paint protection packages are held with the same regard on detailing forums as engine chips are regarded here. Paint protection is today's version of undercoating. It's a fancy polishing job that over-delivers on promise and over-charges on price while under delivering on performance. There is absolutely no product out there that can magically protect your paint from scratches, swirls, or clear coat failure other than basic maintenance and care for your paint. When I bought my Challenger, the finance guy tried to pitch a paint protection package to me. I mentioned that I detail and he immediately dropped the pitch!

When it comes to car care, if you wash your car once a month, you're already in the top 5% of all car owners WORLDWIDE. Seriously. Rather than give your dealer $800 for the most expensive polishing you will ever pay for, join a detailing forum and invest some of that money in a dual action polisher, some pads, and some product and you will have a better looking car than the day it rolled off the car carrier and into your dealer's lot.

I attached a few photos of my 2008 Accord that I posted on Craigslist when I sold it last summer after getting my Challenger. It had 67k miles and was 5 years old when I polished it for the last time the sale ads. The guy who bought it from me was a younger kid who had just joined the Navy and he brought his buddy with him to check the mechanicals. Both the buyer and his buddy believed I had photoshopped the pictures until they saw the car. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is beautiful...it is easy to achieve that shine and depth if you work at it. I am definitely going to cancel my appointment. I am just thankful that it did not go into the financing package.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Thank you all so much. I just needed that little push to cancel the appointment. I thought the same thing, my 2012 looked fabulous without any paint protection and I enjoy making my car look good on my own! I have done some research and it does seem like a waste of money. My son works at a dealership and he advises against it also.
I work at a dealer also, and its all profit for them. We charge like 800 bucks or so, and all it is, is some wax you put on. Luckily, one of the guys from the detail department gave me some in a bottle. Maybe your son can get a hook-up too?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.