Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few different ideas on this headlight tube, dip screen, un-cap, screen insert, etc. So I decided to take a stab at it myself. I originally thought I would try to pipe it to the air box, but it gets plenty of air already, and I was convinced this would do nothing to help. So this is what I came up with.
Auto part Vehicle Tire Gas Wire
I was at the auto parts store and saw this filter. Then it clicked. If piping this to the air box wont help, then using it to help bring some slightly cooler air into the engine compartment is the next best option. This filter is what I have been looking for. Nothing fancy, cheap spectre breather, but it was perfect.
Wheel Tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Rim
Just so you know, this car stays clean, inside, outside, engine bay, and trunk. Which is what complicated just uncapping the tube in the first place.
Once I got home, I started digging thru my box of spare intake parts and was able to find everything I needed.
Auto part Crankshaft Rotor Gear Hardware accessory
I had do get out the drimel and cut out the bottom of the filter housing.
Bearing
It had a mesh insert, I tossed it, but if you live in a dusty environent this would be great. With a little file work and a red paint pen it was ready to go together.
Red Wheel Spoke Auto part Rim
I placed the small ring inside the reducer to hold the spacing and give the filter something to mate up to. This also allows the clamp more to bite on.
Auto part Rotor Machine Engine Metal
Then I slipped an adapter over the outside of the headlight tube. Followed by the reducer. Everything came together nice and snug.
Red Automotive exterior
Red Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part
Auto part Vehicle
Motor vehicle Red Vehicle Car Automotive exterior
It already hit 100° here. I hope this help cool the engine bay a little. It beats having such a cool feature, capped off and useless, or having bugs splattered all over my dirty engine bay. And it makes for one Bad A$$ picture!!
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Auto part Rim

I hope this helps somone. I have a problem and I know it. I Can't Leave Anything Alone!!!

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
56,322 Posts
I've seen a few different ideas on this headlight tube, dip screen, un-cap, screen insert, etc. So I decided to take a stab at it myself. I originally thought I would try to pipe it to the air box, but it gets plenty of air already, and I was convinced this would do nothing to help. So this is what I came up with. View attachment 132396 I was at the auto parts store and saw this filter. Then it clicked. If piping this to the air box wont help, then using it to help bring some slightly cooler air into the engine compartment is the next best option. This filter is what I have been looking for. Nothing fancy, cheap spectre breather, but it was perfect.
View attachment 132398
Just so you know, this car stays clean, inside, outside, engine bay, and trunk. Which is what complicated just uncapping the tube in the first place.
Once I got home, I started digging thru my box of spare intake parts and was able to find everything I needed.
View attachment 132400
I had do get out the drimel and cut out the bottom of the filter housing.
View attachment 132402
It had a mesh insert, I tossed it, but if you live in a dusty environent this would be great. With a little file work and a red paint pen it was ready to go together.
View attachment 132404
I placed the small ring inside the reducer to hold the spacing and give the filter something to mate up to. This also allows the clamp more to bite on.
View attachment 132408
Then I slipped an adapter over the outside of the headlight tube. Followed by the reducer. Everything came together nice and snug.
View attachment 132410
View attachment 132412
View attachment 132414
View attachment 132416
It already hit 100° here. I hope this help cool the engine bay a little. It beats having such a cool feature, capped off and useless, or having bugs splattered all over my dirty engine bay. And it makes for one Bad A$$ picture!!
View attachment 132418
I hope this helps somone. I have a problem and I know it. I Can't Leave Anything Alone!!!
That is a great idea, something I would have to do here with all the dust.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT Plus
4,338 Posts
Nice, Great do it your self mod, I ran a 4 inch tube to my engine compartment .

·
They see me rollin...
1,276 Posts
Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Jolene345

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I just removed the cover and let er flow. I figure there's already so much road debris entering the engine bay from the front and underneath. So far, not any real increase in bad stuff in there. Nice solution though!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just removed the cover and let er flow. I figure there's already so much road debris entering the engine bay from the front and underneath. So far, not any real increase in bad stuff in there. Nice solution though!
I found a few dragon Flys and some dirt when I uncapped it. She sees about 70 miles a day. I try to keep it show clean.

·
Premium Member
2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, M6
804 Posts
Same for me. Did not see any increased dust/dirt under hood. I don't live in a dusty area.

·
Registered
2008 SRT8 Challenger
653 Posts
I don’t know about you guys with the newer cars but my 08 has the hood with the two openings they let cold air right into the engine compartment

·
Registered
8 Posts
Leave it to me to resurect and old thread, but I see you referenced where you got the crankcase/breather filter, but what about the adapter parts you used? I don't have any spare intake parts floating about. Any chance this stuff can be purchased by piece somewhere? What are the id/od on the said adapters?

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
5,110 Posts
Leave it to me to resurect and old thread, but I see you referenced where you got the crankcase/breather filter, but what about the adapter parts you used? I don't have any spare intake parts floating about. Any chance this stuff can be purchased by piece somewhere? What are the id/od on the said adapters?
I think the original poster is long gone...at least they have'nt been active anymore from what I see. I wouldn't put a crankcase filter there...it will just get plugged up with bugs and debris. You want the air to pass into the engine compartment unrestricted. The idea is to get rid of hot air in the engine compartment rather than have ram air in my application of these tubes. With the crankcase filter you may as well leave the plug in the headlight opening, as the filter will block most of the fresh air from passing easily through I would think. :)

·
Registered
838 Posts
Think a minute, why do the engineers cap off the tube, adding a slight expense to the vehicle, if leaving the tube open would benefit anything. It is capped off because if it was left open, it would increase pressure in the engine compartment that will reduce air flow through the radiator and other coolers. Slight as it may be, they determined it makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
3,640 Posts
Looks like a little jet engine inside the headlight hole. Good Idea! (y)

Edit: Aw Crap, A Necro Thread.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think the original poster is long gone...at least they have'nt been active anymore from what I see. I wouldn't put a crankcase filter there...it will just get plugged up with bugs and debris. You want the air to pass into the engine compartment unrestricted. The idea is to get rid of hot air in the engine compartment rather than have ram air in my application of these tubes. With the crankcase filter you may as well leave the plug in the headlight opening, as the filter will block most of the fresh air from passing easily through I would think. :)
The point of the filter would be to capture bugs, debris, etc. I'm not a mechanical engineer, but my guess would be the hole in the headlamp wouldn't allow enough air into the engine compartment to make much, if any, of a temperature difference. There is no fan to help move the air along so the amount of air movement would be primarily dependent on your vehicle speed, i.e. the faster you go, the more air gets shoved into the engine comaprtment. But by going faster, you will be using more fuel and producing more exhaust which will create more heat. IMO, this would be negating your expections of "pumping" more and cooler air into the engine compartment.

Think a minute, why do the engineers cap off the tube, adding a slight expense to the vehicle, if leaving the tube open would benefit anything. It is capped off because if it was left open, it would increase pressure in the engine compartment that will reduce air flow through the radiator and other coolers. Slight as it may be, they determined it makes a difference.
You have a very valid point. Who knows more about the design of this car and the function of every part on it? The engineers. For me, this is puely aesthetics and nothing more. I get a lot of people who see my left side headlamp and tell me it is busted out. Then I have to explain to them that hole was put there on purpose and it is tied into my intake system. Most of which get very confused and cannot grasp the concept, but not everyone we meet will be a gear head like me. From a technicians point of view who has worked at Ford dealerships for several years, I have seen engineers use the same parts on a variety of vehicles, but with slight modifications. Basically, our headlamps are use on other trim levels, submodels, etc. Maybe the headlamp was made with this hole for another application but since it doesn't pertain to our challengers, they made the cap to close the hole. My reusing parts like this with minor mods, they car manufacture can save a lot of money, i.e. pay a vendor to buld the lamp say $100 per lamp, or pay another (or even most often the same vendor) .10 to make this cap. Also, doing things like this, heps avoid over manufacturing of a particular part, and streamlines inventory. Again, I'm not an engineer, and I can only tell you what I have learned from Ford engineers.

·
Premium Member
2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, M6
804 Posts
I very much doubt there is any consideration other than cosmetic in the application of the cap on the right headlamp center. I would expect there is little if any engineering issues in regard to gross airflow with the cap on or off. I have mine off because I like the look with both holes open and I assume at least a little ventilation occurs at speed especially since my hood has the heat extractors built in and the HC generates a fair amount of heat. Back when I had R/Ts I removed the engine intake cover to possibly aid in extraction of heat.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger R/T Shaker 5.7 A8 in Octane Red
48 Posts
I saw a video on YouTube by a popular Challenger owner (can't think of his name, but I will be sure to give him credit), but he said he installed this corrugated tube he bought at AutoZone for $14 and he routed it around and down in front of the radiator and it keeps all the dirt and water from coming in onto his ABS and fuse box.

I ended up buying the tube, and after many cuts and bruises (due to having big hands), I managed to get it installed similar to what he did. It takes a sharp turn right after the adapter, but once it's routed correctly, it allows for air to flow in and down in front of the radiator and out the open bottom of the engine bay. I am including a picture from when I first installed it, but I have since extended it down towards the bottom of the engine bay so any water and dirt gets dumped out. I have the headlight screens and rings installed from Merrick Motorsports and there was no interference with the screen and the tube.
UPDATE - Work Play Drive is the YouTube channel I found this on. Here's a link to his video -

Again, this pic was just after my preliminary install. It looks a little neater now.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

·
Registered
2020 Challenger SXT, Frostbite color, Driver Convience Pkg, Navigation and Sunroof.
117 Posts
I saw a video on YouTube by a popular Challenger owner (can't think of his name, but I will be sure to give him credit), but he said he installed this corrugated tube he bought at AutoZone for $14 and he routed it around and down in front of the radiator and it keeps all the dirt and water from coming in onto his ABS and fuse box.

I ended up buying the tube, and after many cuts and bruises (due to having big hands), I managed to get it installed similar to what he did. It takes a sharp turn right after the adapter, but once it's routed correctly, it allows for air to flow in and down in front of the radiator and out the open bottom of the engine bay. I am including a picture from when I first installed it, but I have since extended it down towards the bottom of the engine bay so any water and dirt gets dumped out. I have the headlight screens and rings installed from Merrick Motorsports and there was no interference with the screen and the tube.
UPDATE - Work Play Drive is the YouTube channel I found this on. Here's a link to his video -

Again, this pic was just after my preliminary install. It looks a little neater now.
View attachment 283878
I did that same mod to my SXT...........

1 - 20 of 20 Posts