Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from the dealership where I bought my car. I had a cold surging problem when I put it away for the Winter and figured it would go away when the drivetrain got some mileage on it. Well, I went there to have the DRL's turned on and they actually knew how to do it! I told them about my issue and they found a flash update that covers, "Evaporative emissions issues and, customer complaints of poor engine performance."
This is TSB 18-038-13
The tech said to me, "Dude, you are going to love this update!"
Well, I thought he was just being a youngster and slinging crap to make me happy. WOW, What a difference in performance. I pulled out of the dealer like it was another car. At 25 MPH in second gear, this thing will smoke the tires without issue. Even accelerating through 1st. gear I had to back off due to whatever this PCM flash update did. The only other thing written on the work order copy was, (Its printed in all caps) "PERFORMED UPDATE AS PER ENHANCEMENTS TO PCM THIS WAS THE ONLY UPDATE AVAILABLE AND DID NOT SEE ANY TSBS OR STAR CASES RELATED TO SURGING. HOWEVER THIS UPDATE WAS RELATED TO THE VEHICLES EVAP SYSTEM AND CUSTOMER COMPLAINTS OF POOR PERFORMANCE.
Before I left, I had to pick up my paperwork and asked the service manager if everyone is getting this update. He said no, It only gets done if a customer complains of "certain" issues.
Tomorrow when I start the engine cold, I'll see if the surging went away. Then I'll call him back and let him know.
I had a very enjoyable 50 mile ride home on the turnpike.:gy:
-John

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,560 Posts
Thanks for the update, John. Sounds like this was one good trip to the service dealer. Including the TSB number there will help others to suggest to the service rep. :smileup:

·
Premium Member
18,509 Posts
Thanks for sharing that information.Glad it worked out for you.

·
Registered
389 Posts
John,
What exactly is the problem you were having? I have noticed on my 2014 RT that when cold it kind of lurches in 2nd/3rd at low speed and rpm. Kind of like if I was taping the throttle but I'm not. Was your issue similar? I checked with the service department a month ago and they swear that any required updates had been done prior to me taking delivery on my car.

·
Premium Member
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John,
What exactly is the problem you were having? I have noticed on my 2014 RT that when cold it kind of lurches in 2nd/3rd at low speed and rpm. Kind of like if I was taping the throttle but I'm not. Was your issue similar? I checked with the service department a month ago and they swear that any required updates had been done prior to me taking delivery on my car.
Exactly what you just described.

-John

·
Registered
20 Posts
I re-checked the work order. The TSB #18-038-13 is correct.

And As I wrote in the original post, the surging is gone. I've cold-started the car about 10 times since then.
-John
Thanks for the update. I had mine done today (hope it works) and the service tec. couldn't find that number (18-038-13)either. The number on my paper work is 18-19-06-Z2 .3 So whatever the number is this TSB is new cause I had my car at the service department about 3-4 week ago and there wasn't anything out for the 2014 yet.

·
Premium Member
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is "EXACTLY" what's printed on the work order... Including them using all caps. (forgive me)
CUSTOMER STATES PLEASE TURN ON DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS
ACTIVATE DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS
PERFORM ACTIVATION OF DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHT

JOB #1 TOTAL LABOR & PARTS....................0.00

CUST STATES THAT THE VEHICLE WHEN COLD TENDS TO SURGE, WOULD LIKE US TO CHECK FOR ANY FACTORY UPDATES OR FLASHES FOR THIS CONCERN. FOUND TSB FOR UPDATE 18-038-13 PERFORMED UPDAT AS PER TSB FOR ENHANCEMENTS TO PCM THIS WAS ONLY UPDATE AVAILABLE AND DID NOT SEE ANY TSBS OR STAR CASES RELATED TO SURGING, HOWEVER THIS UPDATE WAS RELATED TO THE VEHICLES EVAP SYSTEM
JOB #2 TOTAL LABOR & PARTS.........0.00

BUFF SWIRL MARKS ON D/S DOOR
JOB #3 TOTAL LABOR & PARTS .................0.00

That's it. I even included all the mis-spelled words. The other verbage in the original post is on the original work order they fill out when you outline what you want them to do.

Oh and BTW.... the reason I drove 50 miles back to the original dealer where I bought the car was because my local bigger dealer in the capitol of Maine city said nothing was wrong with my car and not in so many words but by their attitude, suggested I was being a complainer.
This was also the dealer whose sales people descended on me like mosquito's on a white guy naked in the jungle.

-Done!

-John

·
Registered
141 Posts
Flash

:SHOCKED:yep you got it Troll lol day time running lights and THANX a million:beerchug: to you OLD GUY !!:eek:ld:for all the usefull info on the flash update HOLY :poopstorm:my car ran awesome before to b honest and now well like the plate reads PLZTRY !!! :gy::3-smoke:em if you got em !!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Are you sure that was the correct tsb #, i have access to all dodge tsb's and can not find that particular tsb
Sorry, not meaning to hijack this, but have spent hours hunting TSB numbers and saw this thread, can you help please:
2016 challenger rt+ A8 built Feb 2016, bought June 2016: today had 3 flashes done @ dealer
PCM 18-19-06-kt
TCM 18-19-05-dp
HVAC 18-19-62-9s
dealer wouldn't tell me what they fix/change...would you be able to help

·
Premium Member
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry, not meaning to hijack this, but have spent hours hunting TSB numbers and saw this thread, can you help please:
2016 challenger rt+ A8 built Feb 2016, bought June 2016: today had 3 flashes done @ dealer
PCM 18-19-06-kt
TCM 18-19-05-dp
HVAC 18-19-62-9s
dealer wouldn't tell me what they fix/change...would you be able to help
The PCM 18-19-06-kt is the fix you really wanted. During some driving conditions, the following problem pops up,
While cruising between 25 - 40 MPH under light throttle pressure, if the driver suddenly applies 3/4 to full throttle, the engine will have a severe stumble like the accelerator pedal is dis-connected. If the pedal is held down, Suddenly the vehicle will accelerate without warning from the lag condition. Dangerous if you are in certain conditions where you need the vehicle to move "right now."

-John

·
Registered
21 Posts
The PCM 18-19-06-kt is the fix you really wanted. During some driving conditions, the following problem pops up,
While cruising between 25 - 40 MPH under light throttle pressure, if the driver suddenly applies 3/4 to full throttle, the engine will have a severe stumble like the accelerator pedal is dis-connected. If the pedal is held down, Suddenly the vehicle will accelerate without warning from the lag condition. Dangerous if you are in certain conditions where you need the vehicle to move "right now."

-John
Thanks; would you tell me please what the other, TCM, and HVAC fix, and where/how I can find out for myself ?
Thank You

·
2012 RT Redline Tri Coat
3,675 Posts
Got my PCM updated today under TSB:18-067-15

PCM firmware version:181906FZ

It was free as it was covered under warranty. There is a good amount of difference in the throttle response on the OEM tune. Tonight, I will load the 93 octane tune and follow up with the results.

Also had my serpentine belt replaced, truly feels tighter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts