Dodge Challenger Forum banner

81 - 100 of 147 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I truly believe Cooper missed his calling. He would be a rock star with the DEA.
A little while ago as I was sitting at the computer, he comes over and barges his way in between my seat and the desk and starts barking.
Now given the fact that he's nuts, I don't think much of it. However, after a couple of minutes of constant barking and shoving his nose under the desk, I decide to see what, if anything, is there.
Sure enough, there was a single kernel of popcorn way in the back against the wall. It had to be 3 feet away. It took a yard stick to get the damn thing out which became his reward. He never ceases to amaze me.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I truly believe Cooper missed his calling. He would be a rock star with the DEA.
A little while ago as I was sitting at the computer, he comes over and barges his way in between my seat and the desk and starts barking.
Now given the fact that he's nuts, I don't think much of it. However, after a couple of minutes of constant barking and shoving his nose under the desk, I decide to see what, if anything, is there.
Sure enough, there was a single kernel of popcorn way in the back against the wall. It had to be 3 feet away. It took a yard stick to get the damn thing out which became his reward. He never ceases to amaze me.
Gus would do that too. All kinds of work and struggling, and sometimes looking for me to do the digging, to get a tiny piece of something out of the couch or car seat. If he started trying to jam his giant head in the crack, there was always something there. It might have been the size of a pinhead, but there was always something there. My mom would give him pieces of her cookies and he would drop crumbs out when he chewed them up, and a lot of the time, a tiny speck would be in between the seat cushions. Suddenly, he would start pawing and jamming his head in there. If he didn't get to what he was detecting in about a minute, he would start looking at me, and then start "Huffing", while looking at where he thought (well, he was always right about where it was) the prize was, and make eye contact with me. If I ignored him because I was driving or whatever, he would refuse to give up and keep on trying. I couldn't let it go too long, those claws were made to dig with and he ripped the crap out of the sofa cushions several times over his 14+ years. I would finally help him get whatever it was and a lot of the time, I had to think, "All this work for that tiny speck of whatever?". A popcorn kernel was 100X as big as some of his prizes were. Here he is near the end, on the couch he ripped up:

These two had another oddball thing. They wanted me to give them popcorn, and I would, but they would only eat certain kernels, they would avoid others, so if I put down say 20 kernels, only 12 or so would be eaten, the rest would be ignored and never touched. I could point at it all day, pick it up and put it into their mouths, whatever, they wouldn't touch those rejects. I could give them potato chips, pretzels, fritos, any kind of snack chip or whatever, and every speck would be eaten and unless I watched King very closely, he would send signals to Molly that she really didn't want anything and it would be best for her to not even try to eat it. He would just raise an eyebrow and she would bail out, so I had to constantly say, "King! Knock it off!", and he would give me a look of disgust that I had the nerve to interfere with his running Molly's life. The insane part was Molly would get upset about my interfering more than he did. My mom said she was like an abused wife who blamed herself for her abusive husband. "He's got her brainwashed!". That those two could come from the same litter and be raised together their entire lives and be so totally different was just bizarre to me. On the couch as pups, he's charging his batteries and plotting how to screw with her head when it's time:

And when it came to screwing with her head, he really was an "Evil Genius". He was pretty damn good at screwing with people's heads, too.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
King could apparently detect cancer in people. I used to take him to work with me and the receptionist had stomach cancer and hadn't been there in some time, about 3 months. One day, she was suddenly there, during what would be a short lived "remission" that really wasn't a remission at all. King liked her a lot, and normally, he would nuzzle her hand so she would rub his chin. This time, instead of demanding she rub his chin, he got this odd look on his face and he whined. I never heard him whine much at all, and never like that. The next day, he did it again, and in between whines, he would smell her stomach area, and look at her and whine. She went sour quickly after that and passed away about a month later. Not long after that, I took him to a friend's house, where his best buddy Barney had lived. Barney had been put down about a year before (He had cancer, but King never whined) and King was getting up there, almost 13, and they wanted to see him before it was too late. A few minutes after we got there, my friend's mother in law arrived and sat down in her usual spot. King was outside at that point, and when he came in, he went over to her and she said "Hi King!", and he got the same look on his face as he had with the receptionist, and started whining. I got a look on my face when he did that that made her ask me, "What's with the face?". At that point, King was poking her left breast repeatedly, and staring at her. I said, "Well, I don't know if I should say anything, it might upset you". She told me to go ahead, and I told her, "The only time I've seen him do that was with our receptionist who had cancer!". She hugged him and said, "I was diagnosed with breast cancer yesterday!". Six months later, she was about to go in for her six month after surgery checkup, and she called me and wanted King to "check me out". So I took him, about 4 months before he was put down, over there to see her. When he didn't whine, she said, "I was so scared he would whine!" Her six month checkup was fine, and 7 years later, she's alive and well.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
My son-n-law had a visitor today. Saw this Road Runner on his truck right outside his office window. Makes me want to checkout some Willy Coyote Cartoons... View attachment 207596 View attachment 207598
How cool! Roadrunners are the state bird of New Mexico. They're all over the place here. I see them almost every day, darting across the road,but never on a car! lol.

Never knew this until I moved down here, but roadrunners are bad-ass birds...

·
Premium Member
16,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Cooper gets his fiber.

My yard is filled with hundreds of acorns this time of year. Every time I let Cooper out back he makes sure to supplement his diet with fiber by eating the shell around the acorns. He will put one in his mouth, bite it once and shake his head to separate the acorn from the shell then spits out the acorn and eat the shell. He's good for about 4 or 5 a day.

·
Premium Member
16,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Keep in mind I live in Central NJ not South Dakota.
1. Last night around 11pm I let Cooper out to do his business. As soon as I opened the door, he bolts up to a spot about half way up the hill in the backyard,stops and then barks aggressively at something.Sticks his head in a bush and then something screams back. Cooper stops and just continues to bark loudly for at least 2 minutes. Then I see something waddle out ( either a racoon or a possum ).Thank God he didn't get bit.

2. The only thing Cooper hates more than the Mailman is deer. Every night I let him out around 5pm to play ball in the backyard. Tonight he starts going nuts at the back door. Sure enough,there was a deer at the top of my new wall. Normally,when I let Cooper out to chase the deer,they take off and are long gone. This one must have been new to the neighborhood,because he just stood there until Cooper ran up to him and BIT him in the rear leg. Then he ran. Cooper was lucky not to have gotten kicked in the face.
Never a dull moment with Pets.

·
Premium Member
16,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
I'm starting to believe that Cooper understands English much better than I thought. Every now and then we order Chinese food on a Saturday night if we don't go out.
The MINUTE either one of us says "you want Chinese tonight ? ", Cooper loses his mind and goes into guard mode at the front window until the food shows up at which point he completely loses it.
I have to go through the garage to get the food. Unreal.

·
Business
20,250 Posts
I'm starting to believe that Cooper understands English much better than I thought. Every now and then we order Chinese food on a Saturday night if we don't go out.
The MINUTE either one of us says "you want Chinese tonight ? ", Cooper loses his mind and goes into guard mode at the front window until the food shows up at which point he completely loses it.
I have to go through the garage to get the food. Unreal.
And you think your fooling him! LOL

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
26,521 Posts
Great Cooper stories. We of course know that dogs learn commands and words from us. But cats?? My black cat Punkin knows ONE word very well. If we are eating cereal for breakfast, she sits by my chair and just waits. When I ask her if she wants some milk, she gives me "the look"! She knows that word and goes a little bonkers. I always give her a very small treat of milk. If she is hiding from me and I need to put her out, I just trick her and ask her loudly if she wants some milk. She always comes running!!! Works every time!

81 - 100 of 147 Posts