Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Philadelphia inquiry

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Slayer213 
#1 ·
I am interviewing for an Sr HVAC Eng position in Philly and considering living in the Conshocken area. The office is 800 block of Market Street.

Commute is either rail or bus.

Where can I store my Challenger?

Car show schedules?

Any suggestions welcome. Or elsewhere to live there?

#3 ·
Samwheat, I'm not that far from the area (I'm from NJ). Commuting from Conshohocken, or for that matter, driving anywhere East on I-76, aka Schuylkill Exp., into Center City Philadelphia, is a nightmare during morning drive. Afternoon drive, Westbound on I-76, is not that great, either. If you plan to commute, give yourself a reasonable window of travel time, depending on where you decide to live at (Bucks, Chester, Delaware, or Montgomery Counties, which are within 30-90 min of Center City-Downtown).

To expand on HemiMetal's suggestion, check with the local LE of where you plan to live at. This is also very important if you have youngsters of school-age. You and your spouse can screen the districts, taxes, etc. Another thing (which can be risky) wherever you have narrowed down where to live at....drive around the neighborhood at night. You get to see how your neighbors really are, as well as how the police respond to calls and such. One thing I can guarantee is that the Various LE departments will advise you NOT to move into Philly and its Suburbs (Philadelphia County consists of Philadelphia and numerous sections-North Philadelphia, The Great Northeast, South Philly, Southwest and West Philly to name a few). www.phila.gov

Market St. is mostly a two-way street. You have some outdoor and in-garage parking. Most of the streets are one-way and are also narrow (they never bothered to expand the width from the days of the American Revolution:shakehead:). Check to see if some of the parking companies have monthly plans, as well as daily early bird plans. Once you feel comfortable with the parking, maybe you can decide if you still want to bring your Challenger, but have a alternate vehicle just in case.

As far as the train or bus, check with SEPTA schedules www.SEPTA.org

Philly Auto Show is in town at the Pennsylvania Conv. Ctr., from Jan.31-Feb 8, 2015. www.phillyautoshow.com

I hope this information helps you out. Good luck and success on obtaining the job.:smileup:

Reactions: jklotz10
#4 · (Edited)
Guys I grew up in South Jersey and spent a lot of time in Philly. You just have to remember, its Philly. No reason to bring your Challenger there. Get yourself a beater and commute with that instead. Otherwise, you will be at a parking garage paying huge fees or asking police to search for your car in the near future.

Reactions: jklotz10
#6 · (Edited)
i live in the greater north east.. been to conche a few times, use to work in K.O.P... commuting bites the big one. if you can use the train or.... (buses i wouldnt advise ).. get a beater well worth it .. i have off street parking, garage.. and a low fenced in back yard .. plus i only work 20 min from my house so...

dont make philly sound like a rat hole ..

my daughter goes to a charter school in the northeast near me. has been for many yrs .. straight A honor student since 4th grade..

starts west chester university next yr as a microbiology major premed .
so every city has shit some just more then others.
ive lived in the northeast all my life and my daughters so its ok in my book..

i deff wouldnt move to west or north philly , conshe is a pretty good little place

#7 ·
My bad, Hemithis. I was not trying to make Philadelphia sound like a rat hole, unfortunately it sounded that way. I can honestly say that I've never had a problem with anyone in Philly. I drive through 2-4 times a week for medical appts. I was advised by various officers which areas were OK and where to avoid.

Regardless, I should have chosen my words more carefully.

#8 ·
Philly

Just to be clear, I am not saying anything negative about Philadelphia or its people. I love going to Philly, am a huge Eagles, Phillies, Flyers, Nova and Temple fan (I gave up on the 76ers). However, no one can ignore the huge amount of crime and car theft that is there.

Take a look at this crime index, the stats don't lie;

http://www.cityrating.com/crime-statistics/pennsylvania/philadelphia.html

Last, don't forget the surrounding areas that equally bad in crime;
1. Newark, NJ - 60 minutes
2. Camden, NJ - 5 minutes
3. New York, NY - 90 minutes
4. DC - 120 minutes

All of these cities make a big impact on cities like Philadelphia. Crime is organized, believe it or not and cities trade parts on their black market just like you and I purchase them legally.

No reason to be a victim, get a beater.

#9 ·
I will agree with a few on here with a few topic. Im not a city guy in the first place. I would get a beater. Not only for the worry of theft, but for getting dinged hit by trash trucks or whatever. Parking is tight and you would probably be parking in a full lot. There would be people everywhere around your car (nervously shiver). I don't trust people, in general, to be respectful to others property. Its not everyone. Just enough for me not to trust. Not even where I live. I still park at the other end of parking lots just to keep peeps away. The other thing is that, my sister lives in Collegeville and when we have to go there I cringe. The drive is really bad. The Schuylkill Expressway is one of the worst roads, traffic wise, in the N.E. It tends to be a parking lot. My brother in law takes the train. My two cents.

#10 · (Edited)
your right on some stuff cpeak.. i agree northphilly, northwest, germantown, mt airy . just to name a few places i wouldnt go.

conche is nice..seems most places in philly have like there little nitches that are nice .

but yeah parking in some places is a real worry to say the least .
and 76, i95 , rt1 ,rt13.. are all a pain in the ass during rush hr thats for sure .not to mention turnpike and blue rt... blahhh..

guess cause ive been here all my life its easier to overlook some stuff others find either bad or shitty... lol .... and yeah i gave up on the sixers along time ago lol.

im in the far northeast , near northeast airport. 10 min from franklin mills mall...little less of a pain to park and drive ..although the blvd gets bad around rush hr but .. i drive i think 5 miles to work round trip and park my car in the body shop lot so shes safe all day

#11 ·
Would definitely use public trans if possible. My car insurance went up a few hundred bucks a year when I moved closer to Philly despite still living in a farming community (but I'm between Philly and Reading so plenty of car thiefs doing business). I'd definitely stay out of a Philly zip code or any surrounding ones that are subject to the city wage theft (oops, I mean, "tax").

#12 ·
I use to live 15 minutes from Conshy. Its not a bad area. you have great access to commute and in decent parking lots if necessary. Traffic is rough going into the city. Train is the way to go by far.

As far as shows there are a decent amount. Glenside is pretty good. Also Lansdale and Collegeville. The nice thing it gives you easy access to Jersey and Maryland shows. Moparpalloza is just south of Baltimore so only an hour or so drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.