Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am reaching out to those brave souls who have come up with creative solutions for dealing with their personal items when they get in their car. Glove box and center console are not creative.....

The challenger, if you chose to accept it; is to create alternative uses of the current space WITHOUT destroying the original form factor of what has been provided by the manufacturer.
For example, For me the cup holders behind the auto shifter are a waste of valuable space. Drinks don't fit in them and when they do my arm or elbow is always hitting them. I am considering modifying this space into a wireless cellphone charger using a round magnetic charger ( to hold the phone securely) that are the same size as the cup holders. I would drop the charger into the space and BAM! a wireless charging station for my 2016 Challenger that cost me less than $30.

The center console is the small abyss of wires to charge stuff and it really keeps nothing organized.... What is that small tray area next to the automatic shifter and what are those cargo nets all about? Has anyone found value in using these or discovered ways to modify them to make them more usable? Again the goal here is to keep the factory condition, but modify the use.....

I am also thinking about leaving the cup holders as loose change collectors and taking a trash bag that attaches to the backside of the passenger seat, modifying it to hold a magnetic wireless charging station for my phone to get it out of the way and have a trash can within easy reach. This will keep my phone out of the way, but within easy reach and keep it charged.

Any other bright ideas on how to modify the interior to make it better for all the "stuff" you bring with you?

·
Knight of the black asphalt.
8,582 Posts
You might find some nifty solutions here:

https://www.proclipusa.com

Many have used these with great success. I am interested to see your final results.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Same idea, but did not want to tie up the outlet, so I went with something slightly smaller than the diameter of the cupholder and will place it in the cup holder, then determine how I want to keep it flush with the top of the cupholder opening....THis is on its way https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075YPHB5B/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Now that was dumb!
6,014 Posts
I agree with the cup holder comments. I have a 6 speed and if I get a drink the underside of my right forearm slams into the cup. They are to close to the shifter. Poorly thought out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
since i drive solo drivers side cup holder change,passer side drink drivers door cup holder phone
The day may come when you will have to share ;-). I get my wife in there, her phone, her drink, her purse and all her stuff and I am thinking the trunk is a great option. Unfortunately, she has refused to take her stuff with her and ride in the trunk :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
there is also like a pocket that you can slide between the seat and the center console ,you can slip your phone and some thin items. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1xPU-Leathe...ash=item3d402a0e3b:g:bAoAAOSwx6pYt9t9&vxp=mtr
different models are available.
My new seat covers have pockets in the front of the seats to let me put some items also.
Another model:https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1Pcs-Left-L...p-Slit-Pocket-Storage-Organizer/152822699677?
I have the first item you listed, they are nice little stash points, but you do need to velcro them in place or they slide down and disappear under the seat.... The others look interesting and may be a future consideration. Thanks for the recommendation!!

·
Registered
870 Posts
My phone lays nicely on the right hand side beside my auto gear shift, wallet, either in my pants (leg pocket) or the center console.. I would like to be able to Lock my trunk or at least have an isolation switch inside the Glove Compartment, which is lockable.. If you need a lot of storage space:- there is always the Durango SRT;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have you considered pockets? Some pants come with these preinstalled. I tend to use the cupholders for cups, or round-tin air fresheners.
And there are comedians in the group....Pockets.....Yeah well I do try to wear pants to avoid funny looks at the gas station, but I am usually sitting on these well designed apparel accessories when seated in my car. Being 6'4 in any car and trying to get into any pocket can be a "challenge". So thanks, but the pockets idea lacks design functionality in the seated position in my case...Now back to our regularly scheduled program, but the laugh break has been appreciated. :)

·
Registered
870 Posts
And there are comedians in the group....Pockets.....Yeah well I do try to wear pants to avoid funny looks at the gas station, but I am usually sitting on these well designed apparel accessories when seated in my car. Being 6'4 in any car and trying to get into any pocket can be a "challenge". So thanks, but the pockets idea lacks design functionality in the seated position in my case...Now back to our regularly scheduled program, but the laugh break has been appreciated. :)
Maybe a Designer Fanny Bag :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My phone lays nicely on the right hand side beside my auto gear shift, wallet, either in my pants (leg pocket) or the center console.. I would like to be able to Lock my trunk or at least have an isolation switch inside the Glove Compartment, which is lockable.. If you need a lot of storage space:- there is always the Durango SRT;)
Leg pockets may work, but is not really a modification to the car ;) I am looking for ways others have made the interior design work for them, not for a replacement for the car....:eek: Durango SRT....No I have a Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel for hauling....stuff.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I agree with the cup holder comments. I have a 6 speed and if I get a drink the underside of my right forearm slams into the cup. They are to close to the shifter. Poorly thought out.
Which is exactly why they should have had an actual hand brake there, instead of those stupid cup holders... But noooo, cup holder are super important! I don't put anything in there because, just like you, I'd hit the stuff when I go to 2nd, 4th or 6th.

I just plug my phone in and drop it under the arm rest. Like this, I'm not tempted to use it and I just use Android Auto, safer altogether. I also put my wallet in there.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts