Dodge Challenger Forum banner
441 - 460 of 481 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I see you have a T/A. Did you coat the stripes and the trunk and top also? So, did you coat the whole car?
Yes, I coated everything. My car is garage queen so she see's about zero rain since my truck is my daily driver, when I wash her the water just streams off like the video's I've seen on ceramic coatings. I never use soap when I wash the car and only use micro fiber mitts and rinse than I dry off with a combo of Absorber drying cloth and micro fiber towels. Again this car doesn't get very dirty between baths so I can't really tell you about longevity as well I have since coated just the hood because it looked a little dull after a recent wash.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Yes, I coated everything. My car is garage queen so she see's about zero rain since my truck is my daily driver, when I wash her the water just streams off like the video's I've seen on ceramic coatings. I never use soap when I wash the car and only use micro fiber mitts and rinse than I dry off with a combo of Absorber drying cloth and micro fiber towels. Again this car doesn't get very dirty between baths so I can't really tell you about longevity as well I have since coated just the hood because it looked a little dull after a recent wash.
And it shined up the painted areas and dulled the matte areas? I read about the CMX® Ceramic Spray Coating and it doesn't comment of it being safe for matte surfaces. It does have comments about a high gloss finish. I am reading on Amazon and 1/2 the comments say don't use it on matte, 1/2 say it is safe but will add "richness". I would be afraid to use this for matte.

Reactions: P.M.F. & PAL

·
Registered
67 Posts
And it shined up the painted areas and dulled the matte areas?
[/QUOTE
It didn't really dull the matte finish it actually gave it a clean even look, no swirls, maybe a little shine. I'll post a picture later when I'm able it's been months since I applied any coating but the finish is still looks good.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
It didn't really dull the matte finish it actually gave it a clean even look, no swirls, maybe a little shine. I'll post a picture later when I'm able it's been months since I applied any coating but the finish is still looks good.
I would love a product I could use all over my T/A but I don't want to turn my matte finish into a satin finish.

Reactions: P.M.F. & PAL

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Nice, I didn't know you could ceramic coat the matte areas. Maybe I should reconsider that left over 50th edition if its still available? I'm assuming you can wax them too or just ceramic coat?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would love a product I could use all over my T/A but I don't want to turn my matte finish into a satin finish.
I used Dr. Beasley's Matte Ceramic finish over my whole car, both matte and gloss. It made the mattle look great and it didn't effect the gloss paint. Dr. Beasley's did say their gloss ceramic coat would make the gloss paint "pop" more but the matte doesn't diminish the shine it already has. Someday, I'll tape off the matte and apply to gloss ceramic to the gloss paint but for now, the matte over the gloss protects it and it still looks great!

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Nice, I didn't know you could ceramic coat the matte areas. Maybe I should reconsider that left over 50th edition if its still available? I'm assuming you can wax them too or just ceramic coat?
You shouldn't use either wax or ceramic. Wax would instantly ruin it. Not even normal car soap because most has wax in it. The only right way is to tape off the shinny from the matte and use a matte cleaner on the matte areas and a different product on the gloss paint. It's a pain. I have been hoping to find 1 product to protect both but there isn't one unless you want to turn your beautiful matte finish into satin. Washing is not a problem. Just protecting.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I actually mis-spoke. Dr. Beasley's Matte Paint Coating isn't ceramic, I just thought it was. In speaking directly to a Dr. Beasley's associate, they said applying the matte finish to the whole car does not reduce the gloss and I found that to be true. Supposedly, it still protects the car, beading up water. That said, they did point out it won't get any glossier. Next round ( 4 months from now, if I don't have any rain/mud issues), I'll be doing the taped off method. Out of curiosity, what kind of tape did you use? Blue painters tape or was there something else? Also, did you use a ceramic wax type of product on your gloss paint? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
You shouldn't use either wax or ceramic. Wax would instantly ruin it. Not even normal car soap because most has wax in it. The only right way is to tape off the shinny from the matte and use a matte cleaner on the matte areas and a different product on the gloss paint. It's a pain. I have been hoping to find 1 product to protect both but there isn't one unless you want to turn your beautiful matte finish into satin. Washing is not a problem. Just protecting.
So would it be safe to drive through a car wash or not? Just trying to decide if it would be ok or if I should plan on getting a car without the matte finish if I rarely wash my car by hand.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
So would it be safe to drive through a car wash or not? Just trying to decide if it would be ok or if I should plan on getting a car without the matte finish if I rarely wash my car by hand.
IMO, no. As I mentioned many car soaps use wax which I'm sure you would find there. Also the top and trunk is a wrap which could be damaged with carwash brushes or wash flaps (like any wrap). Washing by hand is easy with something like this https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guy...s=matte+finish+car+wash&qid=1620918322&sr=8-5

IMO, there is nothing like the look of a Challenger with the contrasting matte and gloss.
Wash by hand and have someone else apply ceramic of do it yourself. It's worth it IMO. Don't not buy the car because you are concerned about taking care of it.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to get one regardless, but just knowing how I am about these things. I don't have the time or energy to wash the car by hand every week like I did in my 20's or 30's. That is why I'm trying to decide now if I should get a "regular" painted car that way it won't be as much of a problem to go through the car wash. Heck, I've never even waxed my current Mustang and have taken it through the wash for going on 5 years and I don't see any damage from it. Although not sure if some of the curb rash on my wheels is from one or if I actually rubbed up against a curb and didn't know it? BTW, I'm thinking of getting a WB and wonder if that would be even worse as far as the huge wheels going through the tracks? They say they are safe, but who know for sure.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I am 67 and still wash by hand. Nothing better than a clear day. Tunes in the garage, a couple of beers, and washing my car. But if you hate hand washes, don’t get a T/A.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Most car washes offer hand washes, just say'n.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Taken today by the wife.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
2021 Challenger TA-392
6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 392 T/A 6 speed
249 Posts
What’s wrong with this picture? An SRT8 owner parks next to me at Nashville Cars and Coffee with the hood my car should have had.

Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

441 - 460 of 481 Posts