Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I once owned a '12 Charger R/T, Road and Track with Super Track Pak. It had Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3-season tires. Those things were good and sticky--wet, dry--it didn't matter, they ran great.

When they wore out, I put Toyo's on thinking I'd get more mileage out of them. Massive mistake. Barely any traction in summer, and don't even get me started on what things were like in the rain. Got a new set of Goodyears--and all was well again.

Last weekend, I got a Challenger SRT 392 with Pirelli P-Zero Nero "all season" tires. When I accelerate on freeway onramps--or have a little fun at a green light--I'm spinning. Wet, dry, it doesn't seem to make a difference. No traction when I try to see what the 392 is capable of. It's sad... My wife's Mustang GT had Pirelli's--and they never broke loose like this. These Pirelli's are starting to remind me of those terrible Toyos...

Is there anyone out there with a 392 running something other than Pirelli's? Which tire do you recommend? Do mine break loose so easily because they're "all season" tires? Any/all advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
2017 T/A 392 Destroyer Gray
575 Posts
The F1 supecar tires on my R/T are junk, wet/dry/hot/cold. Strange you had the opposite result with em...

As far as all season tires, they are softer rubber for when it's cold outside, so they should grip pretty dang good in hot/warm weather.

Guess they just break loose so easily due to all that power, lol.

Good traction with high HP cars is not easily obtainable with all season tires, you need tires that are gonna be horrible in cold or wet conditions.

Good luck on your hunt, wish I could be more helpful...

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I don't have a 392 but I do use Michelin pilot super sports 255 45 20 in the summer. Great traction good mileage and low road noise. You should look into them.

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,055 Posts
Personally, I think the added 125HP and increased torque might have just a little influence on your tire issue.;) If the folks at FCA can squeeze that 392 into their GT AWD, problem solved.:cool:

·
801 RWHP
8,521 Posts
Cold weather= no grip. I will second the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Good grip and cant beat the treadware rating. They last. Plus a 30k mile warranty i think. Unless of course they determine you are a burnout freak. Then, no, they will not cover it. LOL. Merely put my car on a lift and look at the underside of the rear. You will see rubber remnants. Most of that is drag radials, but there is some Super Sport rubber in there, too. LOL.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Your 392 has a boatload more torque down low than the Mustang 5.0, that's the main problem.

I've heard good things about the Michelins Pilot Super Sports and the Continental DSW06's for street tires. The best remedy for traction is a drag radial though! :)

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
I'm running that same a/s tyre on mine and can't complain , I've run mid 12's at the track and in horrendous rain safely . It's like saying you bought a cross trainer shoe and they aren't the best for running . When the temp drops and before they warm up you sure do have to be carefull . :D:D

·
Registered
472 Posts
I put Nitto Motivos on, 255/45/20 front and 275/40/20 rear. I'm at about the same HP a stock 392 has (420 RWHP), and so far I'm impressed with these tires, I will be going to 285's in the rear next time around though.

Reactions: BAD GRANDPA

·
Registered
957 Posts
I hear a lot of ppl like the atturo tires. Very inexpensive. Next up the price food chain is the Continental DW, then the Michelin pilot sport. dear

·
Registered
782 Posts
I just bought Pirelli P Zero AS Plus tires, 245/45X20 front and 275/40X20 rear. I was very disappointed in the tread width compared to the OE GY F1 that were on it. Turns out the Pirelli has the narrowest tread of the 4 replacement tires I was considering.
I called Pirelli and was told the width shown on Tire Rack's site was a figment of someones imagination. However, it is accurate. I wish I had believed it and not the answer I received from a forum question I had posted about the Pirelli's width.

I have not yet driven it with the Pirelli's so can't comment on traction, but I don't expect much.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
SRT 392 will just bust 'em loose. No complaints here, that's why I own one. A couple of track days prove to me that Pirelli's are great tires once properly warmed up. Dependable traction and predictable. I'll be going with P-zeros again once these are shot.

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
I just bought Pirelli P Zero AS Plus tires, 245/45X20 front and 275/40X20 rear. I was very disappointed in the tread width compared to the OE GY F1 that were on it. Turns out the Pirelli has the narrowest tread of the 4 replacement tires I was considering.
I called Pirelli and was told the width shown on Tire Rack's site was a figment of someones imagination. However, it is accurate. I wish I had believed it and not the answer I received from a forum question I had posted about the Pirelli's width.

I have not yet driven it with the Pirelli's so can't comment on traction, but I don't expect much.
I measured mine for someone and tried to be as accurate as possible . I genuinely believe they are a excellent A/S tyre and would hate to give someone a bum steer . :(

·
Premium Member
12,543 Posts
I don't share the assessment of some about the Goodyear F1's. I have had them on three cars now and I really did not see a marked improvement when we put on the Comp T/A's. The Pirelli Scorpion's on the wife's SRT Jeep return the same amount of tread life as the F1's.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all your feedback--I appreciate it. I bet you're right--cold weather probably isn't helping things. I'll be patient until the weather warms up--and see how things go. ;)

·
Registered
782 Posts
245 Pacer said "I measured mine for someone and tried to be as accurate as possible . I genuinely believe they are a excellent A/S tyre and would hate to give someone a bum steer . :("

Probably was me, no insult intended. I thought you may have measured a different Pirelli tire than the tires I bought, or, that yours were worn down enough to be wider. However, the "Tire Rack" specs are accurate.

I realize that tire width is not the only factor of the traction equation and hope they will give as good as traction as wider tires. They certainly did well in "Tire Rack's" test, although they were not in the same sizes I have.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
The F1 summer's when the temperature is warm were very sticky on my 09 SRT. The Pirelli summer's seem less so. The Pirelli all season have less grip than the summer's when the temperature is warm. Below about 50F the all seasons have better grip than the summer's. The Hellcat has a lot more power than my 09 did so I can't attest to the difference F1 vs P Zero summers on the basis of grip under power. The F1s picked up every spec of road sand, etc where the Pirelli's do not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone, Time for new tires and it's really giving me a headache. I had Sumitoma Touring LSV recommended at the tire store. They were horrible, slipped and slid every which way but loose. Rain? Horrible. I'm in sunny south Florida but we do get a lot of rain. I'm thinking Continental Pure Contact. V rated, 70,000 miles. Putting tires on 2012, 5.7 with 6 speed manual. Any thoughts and/or suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Everyone, Time for new tires and it's really giving me a headache. I had Sumitoma Touring LSV recommended at the tire store. They were horrible, slipped and slid every which way but loose. Rain? Horrible. I'm in sunny south Florida but we do get a lot of rain. I'm thinking Continental Pure Contact. V rated, 70,000 miles. Putting tires on 2012, 5.7 with 6 speed manual. Any thoughts and/or suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Hi Kay. Did you get any new tires yet? I'm in Venice FL and shopping for new tires.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts