Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I purchased my Scat Pack with the dynamics package it came set at 50 psi on all four tires for pressure. I looked at the Pirelli website and they suggested 50 psi as the maximum. Should I lower this pressure to something else? I just thought buying it new it would have been setup to the correct pressure from the factory. If I lower them will they set off a TPMS error?

They are Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season 27540ZR20 Tires

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,916 Posts
The car was delivered to you with the tire pressure set to the "shipping" pressure. Both my 2018 Scat Pack and my 2018 Hellcat were handed to me with the tires inflated to 45psi. When I asked I was told that was the correct pressure.

I later learned the tire pressure should have been 32psi. I addressed this with the Scat Pack. With the Hellcat I didn't even attempt to get the dealer to adjust the tire pressure. I just left the lot and shortly after pulled in to a gas station and adjusted the tire pressure.

My 2020 Scat Pack was delivered to me with the tires inflated to 32psi.

·
Registered
2020 Gold Rush T/A 392 50th Anniversary, 66 of 70
193 Posts
I like 32 psi as well. I think the door sticker says 33. Keep an eye on your tread wear to see how your car and conditions react to your tire psi. With temps here staying at 101° this week and in the upper 50's this morning it ends up being a compromise between overfilled and underfilled unless you want to adjust air pressure twice a day.

·
Registered
23 Posts
As Dodgeguy says 32. the manufacturer puts correct psi label on door for a reason. It is what they determined is best for your vehicle For all around use. Over pressure will cause jarring ride, excessive wear on the suspension components and the center area of tires will wear out first. 50psi is ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
My car was delivered at 45 PSI. It was spotless and everything else seemed to be done correctly, except the tire pressure. I run it at 33 in front, 32 in back.

Reactions: Sideways

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,916 Posts
I like 32 psi as well. I think the door sticker says 33. Keep an eye on your tread wear to see how your car and conditions react to your tire psi. With temps here staying at 101° this week and in the upper 50's this morning it ends up being a compromise between overfilled and underfilled unless you want to adjust air pressure twice a day.
No need to adjust. Just set the tires to 32psi when the tires are cold. My SOP is to adjust the tire pressures in the AM after the car has sat overnight.

Even though the daytime temperature climbs the tires will be fine. There is considerable margin in the tires to deal with some higher tire pressure due to an increase in temperature as the vehicle is driven even if it is in 100F heat.

There is less margin for a tire running underinflated even if cold.

Believe the highest tire pressures I ever saw with my Hellcat was 36psi and this when I used the car in low triple digit heat that was common in the warmer parts of the year where I lived.

Here's what my 2020 Scat Pack owners manual has to say about tire pressures:

Inflation pressures specified on the placard are always “cold tire inflation pressure”. Cold tire inflation pressure is defined as the tire pressure after the vehicle has not been driven for at least 3 hours, or driven less than 1 mile (1.6 km) after sitting for a minimum of 3 hours.

And:

The cold tire inflation pressure must not exceed the maximum inflation pressure molded into the tire sidewall. Check tire pressures more often if subject to a wide range of outdoor temperatures, as tire pressures vary with temperature changes.

Tire pressures change by approximately 1 psi (7 kPa) per 12°F (7°C) of air temperature change. Keep this in mind when checking tire pressure inside a garage, especially in the Winter.

Example: If garage temperature = 68°F (20°C) and the outside temperature = 32°F (0°C) then the cold tire inflation pressure should be increased by 3 psi (21 kPa), which equals 1 psi (7 kPa) for every 12°F (7°C) for this outside temperature condition.

Tire pressure may increase from 2 to 6 psi (13 to 40 kPa) during operation. DO NOT reduce this normal pressure build up or your tire pressure will be too low.

·
Registered
2020 Gold Rush T/A 392 50th Anniversary, 66 of 70
193 Posts
No need to adjust. Just set the tires to 32psi when the tires are cold. My SOP is to adjust the tire pressures in the AM after the car has sat overnight.

Even though the daytime temperature climbs the tires will be fine. There is considerable margin in the tires to deal with some higher tire pressure due to an increase in temperature as the vehicle is driven even if it is in 100F heat.

There is less margin for a tire running underinflated even if cold.

Believe the highest tire pressures I ever saw with my Hellcat was 36psi and this when I used the car in low triple digit heat that was common in the warmer parts of the year where I lived.

Here's what my 2020 Scat Pack owners manual has to say about tire pressures:

Inflation pressures specified on the placard are always “cold tire inflation pressure”. Cold tire inflation pressure is defined as the tire pressure after the vehicle has not been driven for at least 3 hours, or driven less than 1 mile (1.6 km) after sitting for a minimum of 3 hours.

And:

The cold tire inflation pressure must not exceed the maximum inflation pressure molded into the tire sidewall. Check tire pressures more often if subject to a wide range of outdoor temperatures, as tire pressures vary with temperature changes.

Tire pressures change by approximately 1 psi (7 kPa) per 12°F (7°C) of air temperature change. Keep this in mind when checking tire pressure inside a garage, especially in the Winter.

Example: If garage temperature = 68°F (20°C) and the outside temperature = 32°F (0°C) then the cold tire inflation pressure should be increased by 3 psi (21 kPa), which equals 1 psi (7 kPa) for every 12°F (7°C) for this outside temperature condition.

Tire pressure may increase from 2 to 6 psi (13 to 40 kPa) during operation. DO NOT reduce this normal pressure build up or your tire pressure will be too low.
Got it. Set it to 32 psi in the am at 55° and ignore the temperature induced change to cold tire pressure of 37-38 psi for the trip home in the afternoon when it is 100°+. That makes sense, and it rides so smoothly too.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
59,793 Posts
Thanks guys. I checked my door jam and it does indeed say 32 psi. I am still amazed they don't set it correctly from the factory.

View attachment 310598
I believe they do that at the factory for shipping, the dealer should adjust it when doing delivery prep.

·
Registered
2022 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I adjusted my tires down to 33 psi cold. I was trying to get 32 psi but at least they are all the same pressure in the car. When I drove it a few miles they all rose up a little to 36 psi.

Is it just me or do these tires look like they are flat at this pressure. Even at 50 psi they looked flat on the bottom especially in the grass.

·
Premium Member
20,815 Posts
I adjusted my tires down to 33 psi cold. I was trying to get 32 psi but at least they are all the same pressure in the car. When I drove it a few miles they all rose up a little to 36 psi.

Is it just me or do these tires look like they are flat at this pressure. Even at 50 psi they looked flat on the bottom especially in the grass.
Keep in mind it’s a heavy car. If you’re at 32/33 psi cold, you’re fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts