Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

Well, after doing the rust repair on my 2010 SRT quarters, now I am confronted by hood oxidation.
I'm looking to go the fiberglass with hood pins route.
Is there any brands I should stay away from, as well as check out?

Thank you

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about that, but the oxidation will just come back. It's coming from along the whole front, right where it hems under. The body shop said they could redo it, but it will come back because it wasn't prepped from the factory. Dodge never changed the design on making the hood, so getting a replacement aluminum hood would be useless too.

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
8,799 Posts
I thought about that, but the oxidation will just come back. It's coming from along the whole front, right where it hems under. The body shop said they could redo it, but it will come back because it wasn't prepped from the factory. Dodge never changed the design on making the hood, so getting a replacement aluminum hood would be useless too.
I would think the body shop should be able to prep the hood properly (strip the entire hood to bare metal, seal the aluminum, then prime and paint). My 10 year old OEM aluminum hood shows no sign of oxidation or any other flaws. Good luck with your PITA repair.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would think the body shop should be able to prep the hood properly (strip the entire hood to bare metal, seal the aluminum, then prime and paint). My 10 year old OEM aluminum hood shows no sign of oxidation or any other flaws. Good luck with your PITA repair.
What was explained to me, and makes sense I guess, is when the factory folds the aluminum in the front of the hood,
it isn't prepped first. He said I can strip your hood, seal and paint it, but the oxidation comes from in between the aluminum.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,054 Posts
Makes sense....but then every car out there would have the same issue.......

Think I'd ask around at other shops......

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
8,799 Posts
What was explained to me, and makes sense I guess, is when the factory folds the aluminum in the front of the hood,
it isn't prepped first. He said I can strip your hood, seal and paint it, but the oxidation comes from in between the aluminum.
Makes sense I guess. :unsure:...My 2010 R/T has been my DD since new, I live in Illinois, land of unlimited road salt usage and believe me, my Brilliant Black R/T was almost pure white on several occasions (sometimes over night till I could get it the local brush-less car wash). If there was ever a candidate for oxidation, it was me. Other than normal light surface rust on the under carriage, it still looks like new. Also, like you, I had to have both lower quarter panels replaced (not repaired) because of rust, caused by inferior foam insulation. I'm positive, my R/T will be in good shape long after I'm gone. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Makes sense I guess. :unsure:...My 2010 R/T has been my DD since new, I live in Illinois, land of unlimited road salt usage and believe me, my Brilliant Black R/T was almost pure white on several occasions (sometimes over night till I could get it the local brush-less car wash). If there was ever a candidate for oxidation, it was me. Other than normal light surface rust on the under carriage, it still looks like new. Also, like you, I had to have both lower quarter panels replaced (not repaired) because of rust, caused by inferior foam insulation. I'm positive, my R/T will be in good shape long after I'm gone. ;)
I also have brilliant black. I noticed at first a bubble the size of a pea under the hood sticker in the front. Maybe someone else here had it repaired and will give me hope to repair instead of rebuild.
That hood sticker kit is 900 bucks at Dodge!

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Cervini is a very nice hood. Their customer service is the worst. I would never buy from them again.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The foam sound deader holds moisture causing rust. Pull out the plastic body plugs and squirt a heavy oil in there. That may not help but it's something . From what I've seen the D3 automakers will not change defects and bad design unless they get hit with class action suits ! FORD is the poster child for class action law suits, check out the F-350 Duramax diesel law suits. Not to mention their transmission law suits.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,054 Posts
F-350 duramax diesel ????

What did I miss....F-350 is Ford, Duramax is chevy.....

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,054 Posts
Two huge class action lawsuits POWER STROKE 6.0 diesel and repairs costing FORD tens of millions of $. GOOGLE it.

Oooppsss got the engine name wrong , thanks for the correction.

Yeah, they've had tons of problems with the power stroke engines.........

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,370 Posts
Had an AFR shaker on my 13'... loved it... fit and finish was great, and paint was a spot on match....
20200918_213445.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts