Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i got a 2013 Challenger SXT and im thinking of doing the stock rims in Black Plastic dip has anyone done it at all on theirs? if so how is it in the long run i know you can peel it off easy if it messes up but wondering how it is heard it gets dirty some what fast?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I used it on my charger. Loved it.. You'll have to touch it up from time to time because of rock chips and what not, but it's a pretty awesome and cheap mod.

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
Great way to see if you like something , but my opinion just a ricer way to do things do it right or don't do it. I know many like it but wont see that crap on my car.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Great way to see if you like something , but my opinion just a ricer way to do things do it right or don't do it. I know many like it but wont see that crap on my car.
Exactly. The previous owner of the R/T I bought was a fan of plastidip. You can see it on the side view mirrors. I like the look, but I'm with you; do it right or don't do it. I'm going to pull it off and see about getting them re-sprayed black. :smileup:

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
Exactly. The previous owner of the R/T I bought was a fan of plastidip. You can see it on the side view mirrors. I like the look, but I'm with you; do it right or don't do it. I'm going to pull it off and see about getting them re-sprayed black. :smileup:
Also check on LKQ mirrors most come flat black paint to match:smileup:

·
Dash Cam Guy
2,277 Posts
It's a GREAT and easy mod. Forget the haters. Not much difference between some plastidip or vinyl graphics plastered all over your car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I got a buddy who's good at doing them right only reason for doing it is don't wanna spend the money on rims unless they would be the redline rims but ism how much those are

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used plastic dip on my wheels. I have the 20" chrome clads and just couldn't handle that amount of chrome yet I'm not ready to spend the money to purchase new rims. It seems like such a waste since when I do I will want new tires as well and the ones that came with the car are still basically brand new.

Anyway, as you can see in the pic... I left the spokes chrome and just used the dip on the "pockets" of the wheel. This is not an easy task by any means cause you need to tape off the areas you don't want to dip but pull that tape immediately after laying down enough coats to get the intended area covered. If you don't pull the tape soon enough off will come the platic dip.

No worries though if you mess up, as long as you put enough coats down, it's easy just to peel it off and start over.

In a year or two I will replace my tires and wheels, until then I'm very happy with how my wheels turned out with the plastic dip. I've used plastic dip a couple times now and in all cases I haven't had a problem with it coming off, chipping or anything of the sort.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
O idc if it's a ricer way just cheap way to do just wanted other people thoughts of the product on how good it was

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
LOL haters the term used anytime someone Makes a comment that some dont like to hear .

You take a $500-800 wheel and spray it $5 carp on a 40k car :( don't understand that ????

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got black spay for mine that I just picked up before work I'm going to do it this weekend

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have and it works as expected. Sounds like he'd just want to use a single coat for a "little" shine.
I'm not hating on your comment at all I just would like black rims without paying $500+ I understand what your saying with the plasticdip on these cars

·
Premium Member
18,456 Posts
I have and it works as expected. Sounds like he'd just want to use a single coat for a "little" shine.
I have some cans of it, but I have not used it yet. If you use a true metallic color like the gold, anthracite, or aluminum then there is already a bit of shine and the glossifier is not needed. Really it depends on which color he wants.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/colors.html
Appreciate the feedback. He wants to go with black so maybe one or two light coats on top will work.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
It's a GREAT and easy mod. Forget the haters. Not much difference between some plastidip or vinyl graphics plastered all over your car.
Eh, I don't consider myself a hater. There are some good applications for plastidip, like some said a easy way to check out a certain look for your vehicle. Personally I wouldn't leave it as a permanent solution though. I just don't prefer it myself, if I want black rims I'll buy black rims. If I want some random pieces (spoiler, mirrors, etc) different, I'll get 'em painted. But that's what's great about modding our cars, e'erybody is different!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lol yea im not going to have them on permanently just for the summer most likely.

I don't know who's feelings got hurt with that who thing got me confused with the whole hater thing just was asking about it.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts