Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today seemed to be a good day to change out my spark plugs. I ordered OEM replacements from the local dealer... I gapped them last night. Used a 10mm socket on the coil packs. I did not disconnect the coil packs from the wiring harness, and I only did one cylinder at a time. I had a magnetized 5/8s socket (flexible) with a few different extensions.. I hit each plug with anti-seize and each boot with a dollop of die-electric grease... Now here is the bonus info.. The plugs (pictures below) have been subject to a tune or two from Hemifever... for the last 10K miles or so... So those of you who are contemplating a tuner, I think you can tell the 5.7 and its stock plugs handle the tunes quite well for sustained periods.. For you old grizzled hemi hot rodders... well, you probably already knew this... lol....

Passenger side plugs...

Drivers side (on top)

Close up - all plugs pretty much looked the same....

· Registered
13,190 Posts
Cool man! What mileage on the car? Is this your first time changing them?

They look a little darker than mine were when I pulled mine out, but not bad. I'm sure with new plugs the car will be happy! I noticed a little better throttle response with the new plugs. Changed mine at 32,000 miles and then again at 59,000 miles.

5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am at 29,800 miles... I did feel they were a tad dark as well, but not enough to be concerned.. Yes, first time changing them... All was pretty smooth except the bottom coil pack bolt on the passenger side closest to the firewall.. there is a braided line that runs up against it... had to use a 10mm wrench on that one... I had the oil changed right after I was finished... went out and ripped a wheel spin hampered 4.9 second 0-60 run right after.... shifting at close to 4000 rpms...

Reactions: trudyc

· Registered
13,190 Posts
I think when I did mine both times I removed the coilpacks completely. Not a bad idea just leaving them connected and out of the way or something.

Did you use a torque wrench to tighten them down too or just snug them down? Think I used a torque wrench and tightened them to 13ft/lbs?

Yeah if anything the darker plugs means it's slightly rich which is better than too lean. You should have seen the plugs from my Nova when I was still tuning the carb, about as black and sooty as you could get haha! Still ran good though. Once I got it dialed in better then they were more tan in color like they should be.

5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I snugged them by hand... I have a touch of soot on my tail pipes so I knew I am running a tad rich... maybe someday I will get headers so the lean conditions headers can cause will be canx by the richer tune I have now... break even right? lol....

· Registered
1,899 Posts
Hemifever tune? ok help me understand what is it? what do I need and will I require to change my gas from 89 to 91/3?
as for the tune up I planned on doing that in spring when I get her out from the garage she has 56600 on it.

· Registered
13,190 Posts
Hemifever tune? ok help me understand what is it? what do I need and will I require to change my gas from 89 to 91/3?
as for the tune up I planned on doing that in spring when I get her out from the garage she has 56600 on it.
It's just a custom tune, more aggressive than the canned tunes that come on the tuners. All you do is email Sean at Hemifever Racing, tell him you want a tune, he'll ask you some questions like your model year, make, engine size, fuel you run, mods, etc. Then he emails you a tune file. You upload that file onto your tuner and then onto your car. Pretty straightforward and easy to do and the difference it makes is pretty significant. Well worth it!

Shoot him an email and he'll fill you in on all the details and he'll hook you up.

· Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
2,864 Posts
It's just a custom tune, more aggressive than the canned tunes that come on the tuners. All you do is email Sean at Hemifever Racing, tell him you want a tune, he'll ask you some questions like your model year, make, engine size, fuel you run, mods, etc. Then he emails you a tune file. You upload that file onto your tuner and then onto your car. Pretty straightforward and easy to do and the difference it makes is pretty significant. Well worth it!

Shoot him an email and he'll fill you in on all the details and he'll hook you up.
^X2
I am running a hemifever tune on my 01 Ram 5.9, it made a large difference.
The Challenger has a custom dyno tune.

there are some pics on page 3 of my thread if you want to check them out.
http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=108332&page=3

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.