Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I had the PO153 code pop up and had the car reflashed by dealer service dept,then 2 weeks later I get a P2098.The whole time the car has been backfiring on warmup but now it does a little while its at op temps.This time to the dealership I was told no code stored and couldn't find any problems with any emissions parts sensors.I was told that it was too much ethanol in the gas I use and to add octane boost to dilute it and to fill up with different brand next tank.Well Bp in the tank now and it backfires harder then before so one last chance will be given to the dealership that I bought it from and then it's on to another dealership in the area that has a performance division.If anyone has any knowledge or ideas on why its backfiring or what i can do to correct the problem your comments and assistance is needed. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
858 Posts
Bert, here is some info I found on the DTC P2098, I hope it helps you:

P2098 = DOWNSTREAM FUEL TRIM SYSTEM 2 LEAN

For the Engine circuit diagram (Refer to 9 - ENGINE - SCHEMATICS AND DIAGRAMS).
For a complete wiring diagram Refer to Section 8W.

When Monitored:
With the engine running in closed loop mode, the ambient/battery temperature above (-7°C) 20°F, altitude below 8500 ft and fuel level greater than 15%.

Set Condition:
If the PCM multiplies short term compensation by long term adaptive and a certain percentage is exceeded for two trips, a freeze frame is stored, the MIL illuminates and a trouble code is stored. Two Trip Fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.

Possible Causes
EXHAUST LEAK
ENGINE MECHANICAL PROBLEM
2/2 O2 SENSOR
(K243) O2 2/2 SIGNAL CIRCUIT
(K399) O2 HEATER 2/2 CONTROL CIRCUIT
(K904) O2 DOWNSTREAM RETURN CIRCUIT
FUEL CONTAMINATION
Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. (Refer to 9 - ENGINE -DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING).

Diagnostic Test

ACTIVE DTC
NOTE: Check the vehicle repair history. If the 2/2 O2 has been replace make sure that the O2 sensor was properly installed and meets OEM specification.
NOTE: Check for contaminants that may have damaged the O2 Sensor: contaminated fuel, unapproved silicone, oil and coolant.
Ignition on, engine not running.
With a scan tool, read DTCs.
Is the DTC active at this time?
Yes >> Go To 2
No >> Refer to the INTERMITTENT CONDITION Diagnostic Procedure.
Perform (NGC) POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER
- 5. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC CONTROL
MODULES/POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE - DIAGNOSIS
AND TESTING)
P2098-DOWNSTREAM FUEL TRIM SYSTEM 2 LEAN (CONTINUED)

. EXHAUST LEAK
Turn the ignition off.
WARNING: To avoid personal injury from the exhaust system being hot, allow the exhaust to cool down to
a safe temperature before performing a physical inspection. Failure to follow these instructions can result in
personal injury or death.
Visually and Physically inspect for holes, cracks and blockage in the exhaust system.
Is the exhaust system is good condition?
Yes >> Go To 3
No >> Repair or Replace as necessary.
Perform (NGC) POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 5. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES/POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)

ENGINE MECHANICAL PROBLEM
Check for any of the following conditions/mechanical problems.
AIR INDUCTION SYSTEM - must be free from leaks
ENGINE VACUUM - must be at least 13 inches in neutral
ENGINE VALVE TIMING - must be within specifications
ENGINE COMPRESSION - must be within specifications
ENGINE EXHAUST SYSTEM - must be free of any restrictions or leaks
ENGINE PCV SYSTEM - must flow freely
TORQUE CONVERTER STALL SPEED - must be within specifications
POWER BRAKE BOOSTER - no internal vacuum leaks
FUEL - must be free of contamination
FUEL INJECTOR - plugged or restricted injector; control wire not connected to correct injector
Are there any engine mechanical problems?
Yes >> Repair as necessary.
Perform (NGC) POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 5. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES/POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)
No >> Go To 4

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave I'm printing this out so I can reference it to do some checking on myown before calling the dealership.:smileup:

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So 70 views and just 1 reply,:wow:no thoughts or opinions?????????:4-dontknow::158:

·
Politically correct.
10,969 Posts
I was getting codes P2098 and 2096 which is the same. I believe my codes were due to the Magnaflow hi-flow cats on my car. Do you happen to have these or headers on your car?:4-dontknow: A CMR tune took care of my codes.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was getting codes P2098 and 2096 which is the same. I believe my codes were due to the Magnaflow hi-flow cats on my car. Do you happen to have these or headers on your car?:4-dontknow: A CMR tune took care of my codes.
Nope no mods other than a Mopar CAI,everything else is bone stock.

·
Believe . . . . . . just believe!
6,047 Posts
So 70 views and just 1 reply,:wow:no thoughts or opinions?????????:4-dontknow::158:
:sad: I have no clue as to what could be the problem, 30 years ago I would have told you to check your timing. :4-dontknow: Let us know when you find out.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:sad: I have no clue as to what could be the problem, 30 years ago I would have told you to check your timing. :4-dontknow: Let us know when you find out.
Funny thing is that's one of the things I'm goping to have them check as well as the 02 sensors on bank 2,something is causing this side to run lean,I already pulled the plugs and swapped coil packs from one side to the other but no difference.Well hopefully this time the dealership will get it figured out,if not I'll keep trying some things that may be the cause just to eliminate them as the problem.:4-dontknow::wavey:

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update

Here's the info so far for those that may need it or are interested.Went to the dealership this past sat,they hooked her up to the Witech and logged data.The data gathered is as follows as well as some things that were done to be sure there could be no other cause.
1.Let the car cool down for 2 hrs and then run to do the datalogging
2.Reviewed the data and found several parameter's reading wrong.O2 sensor #2 bank 2 reading lean condition,pcm compensating by adding 9% fuel to bank 1 and 15% fuel to bank 2.Also long term adaptives at 15% I was told it should be very close to 0.
3.Let the engine cool down again and prheated O2 sensors and did more logging.This time sensor and adap's rregistered good for about 1 min then back to the same thing.
4.Switched o2 sensors left to right and did another run of logging.
Same reults on the same side so tech copied and sent data to Chrysler and was ok'd to replace the PCM.Hopefully this will take care of the problems and no more will pop up as a result from this condition.I will give it a week to see if there are anymore problems but this didn't start happening until there were at least 3k miles on her so we'll see.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Sounds reasonable, Bert. If you moved the hardware from one side to the other, and the problem still existed on the same side, the PCM would be the logical explaination. I hope that cures the problem!
Keep us posted, Bud.
:smileup:

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hope there is not a bad run of them.[/QUOTE]
Well I hope for everyone that I am the guinea pig on this one,and can get this resolved,so it can help anyone else with any issues that cant be resolved and this is the cause for them.Oh and my 10 B5 was built in Oct 09 so if anyone else ahs issues with cars built around this time.:4-dontknow::4-looney::4-wavey:

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds reasonable, Bert. If you moved the hardware from one side to the other, and the problem still existed on the same side, the PCM would be the logical explaination. I hope that cures the problem!
Keep us posted, Bud.
:smileup:
Will do.:smileup:

·
MOPAR Top Eliminator, Carlisle 2016
26,584 Posts
Hope there is not a bad run of them.
Well I hope for everyone that I am the guinea pig on this one,and can get this resolved,so it can help anyone else with any issues that cant be resolved and this is the cause for them.Oh and my 10 B5 was built in Oct 09 so if anyone else ahs issues with cars built around this time.:4-dontknow::4-looney::4-wavey:[/QUOTE]

Mine went to D1 Oct 7, 09 and left the factory on the 27th. I've been throwing that code since I put in high flow cats. So I'm keeping an eye on this thread. I need to learn how to use the data log functions....

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I hope for everyone that I am the guinea pig on this one,and can get this resolved,so it can help anyone else with any issues that cant be resolved and this is the cause for them.Oh and my 10 B5 was built in Oct 09 so if anyone else ahs issues with cars built around this time.:4-dontknow::4-looney::4-wavey:
Mine went to D1 Oct 7, 09 and left the factory on the 27th. I've been throwing that code since I put in high flow cats. So I'm keeping an eye on this thread. I need to learn how to use the data log functions....[/QUOTE]

Same boat for codes - High Flow Cats installed
If I remember correctly when you install either or both longtube headers and high flow cats you need to turn off the rear o2 sensors.I don't think there is any way to tune for them with the "canned" tunes you will probably need to get a custom tune from a good performance shop to take care of your problem.:4-wavey::smileup:

·
Premium Member
19,308 Posts
Mine went to D1 Oct 7, 09 and left the factory on the 27th. I've been throwing that code since I put in high flow cats. So I'm keeping an eye on this thread. I need to learn how to use the data log functions....

If I remember correctly when you install either or both longtube headers and high flow cats you need to turn off the rear o2 sensors.I don't think there is any way to tune for them with the "canned" tunes you will probably need to get a custom tune from a good performance shop to take care of your problem.:4-wavey::smileup:[/QUOTE]

This is correct. If you have high flow cats you will throw a code and Diablosport used to have a feature where you could turn off the O2's but had to stop because of emission laws.

·
Politically correct.
10,969 Posts
Same boat for codes - High Flow Cats installed

Yes, headers and hi-flow cats will throw this code consistantly. A CMR tune will get rid of this code. A good CMR tuner will actually raise the tempature threshholds of the O2 sensors , so they don't always have to be turned off to cure this code. That was what I was told by my tuner. So far , no codes for me and it's 1000 mi. later. :smileup:

1 - 20 of 79 Posts