Dodge Challenger Forum banner

PO'd - ZL1 tow hook doesn't fit 16 Challenger

2K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  Pawlik 
#1 ·
The receiver sits up too high. I would have to cut not just the lower grille but its frame and the black plastic cowling that goes around it.

And there is no way the crash bar is strong enough to be towed on. I can squeeze it with my hand. The way the receiver installs it will crush the crash bar, and when towed would twist it.

Sorry ZL1 but this is poorly designed and I will not be putting it on my car. I know you say otherwise but it would require welding and structural reinforcement.

#2 ·
Automotive exterior Vehicle door Bumper Hand Finger
Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive lighting Light Vehicle
Automotive exterior Bumper Trunk Vehicle door Auto part

#3 ·
I'm unable to add to my previous post on the ZL1 tow hook, so here is a follow-up regarding the conversation with who I assume is the owner of ZL1.

My comment on the product is that the receiver bracket doesn't fit my 2016 Challenger SRT. The bracket sits up too high and for the receiver to be attached I would have to cut not only some of the vertical and horizontal pieces from the lower grille but also the edge of the lower grille and the plastic cowling that surrounds the lower grille.

Also, the crash bar it attaches to does not seem strong enough to hold the weight of pulling the car. I was able to squeeze this metal with my hand.

Upon discussing this with ZL1, he suggested shimming the bracket down so it would fit. This would increase the torque on the crash bar and in my opinion cause further damage upon towing.

When I asked him if they had done any proper testing, as in towed the car then disassembled the front end to check for anything that was bent or misshapen, it was clear they have not done this testing.

In the end, I will be returning the product. It is unfortunate because the tow hook itself was very well-made, and looked good. The tow hook itself is a very solid product, I'm just not okay with the way it attaches to the car. Unfortunately there don't seem to be any other options.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.