Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at my car door and had a thought. Previously I had sucessfully polished my hood strike to a chrome like finish. It was a stainless steel aftermarket strike that I bought from Dale's Cuda shop, IIRC.
If you look at where the door latches to the body, there is an odd metal catch there. I was wondering if anyone has polished this successfully to a high chrome like shine?

upload_2019-1-23_8-19-57.jpeg

Reactions: Shanes13

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I might just order an extra one and test on it. Not sure if there is some kind of galvanized coating on this part?

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
3,704 Posts
I think that type of automotive hardware is usually plated in nickle with either a satin or matte finish.I'm not sure how thick the actual plating is, but you should be able to use chrome polish on a small area and see if you can get shining. A lot would depend upon how thick the plating is and also whether its a smooth or coarse plated finish. :)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can confirm that the latch CAN be polished. I figure a coat of wax should help protect it, although it won't see much water in the spot it is in on the doorway. Needed a small rotary buffer to get in under the arched metal part of the latch.

Before:
Latch Before.jpg

After:
Latch After.jpg

I will post pics once I have done the other side and screw-heads, and have them installed.

Reactions: FastMikeR1
1 - 4 of 4 Posts