Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Packin up my game gonna head out west....
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm wondering if there's any benefit to using hood props at shows rather than just leaving the hood open?

Does the prop prevent wear and tear on the hood struts? Does it provide more protection if it's windy? I saw a shot of a car in a recent thread that was using a remove before flight steamer as a tether for the hood which I could see being useful if the wind was blowing the towards the front of the car.

I am just curious who all uses them and what they think of them?

Take it easy
Jay

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,566 Posts
I use door props more of away of allowing people to see inside the interior while limiting access. Don't use the hood or trunk props though. Although it would add a little security there too.

·
Packin up my game gonna head out west....
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dan,

I dug and found the shot from your moparapollza pictures. I like the remove before flight as a low dollar idea for shows but wanted to be sure I wasn't over looking something just using the struts while at shows.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I bought the hood struts because I felt that a hood prop was something cheap looking for an R/T since struts came standard, at the time, on the SRT. It was one of the first mods I did. I like the 'remove before flight' tether and I would like to get one since it limits how high the hood can be opened. The thing about the tether that worries me is the hood has to open to a point where the struts can support the weight of the hood yet keep it open. Is the tether, by not allowing the hood to open fully, putting a stress on the struts? Lou.

·
RELIVN
301 Posts
I agree that they would be useful on a windy day, but they will keep the hood low enough not to allow a good view of the engine bay (if that is a feature). I am with Dan on the door props to allow a better view into the interior. Trunk lid props will also restrict the view of the trunk if you are trying to feature anything inside (special trunk interior, etc. Just my thoughts.

Dick

·
Registered
26 Posts
Anybody install a fiberglass hood and need lighter struts than factory offered pieces? If so what did you use. Factory struts seem to be "lifting" hood at rear in closed position.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have a glass hood on my older hot rod and weaker hinges are a must. if you see the hood lifting while it's closed you're going to eventually do damage. I don't know if Mopar, or any other company, offers weaker pistons or not. A prop rod might be your answer here.

·
Registered
389 Posts
My friends that have them use them as 1. An additional mod (some have lighted acrylic) and 2. So you can still see the top of the hood for the guys that have hood stripes or different hoods.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I did door props for limited access while still showing the interior.

The hood prop is purely for looks in my case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts