Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a tough time deciding on which mod to do first on my Redline:4-looney:

Here's the to-do list!

-HID headlights
-HID foglights
-LED interior lights
-MOPAR Strut tower brace
-MOPAR Cold Air Intake
-Exhaust (still not sold on SOLO, but I'm thinking that)
-Aftermarket deck (Kenwood DNN990HD)
-MOPAR Chrome T-Shifter
-MOPAR red sides/stitching steering wheel

If I knew how to do this stuff on my own that would eliminate most of these problems!
-HID's done by my local shop will charge an arm and a leg (I'm exaggerating but it would be so cheap if I could do it on my own). LED lighting probably wouldn't cost much to have done, but again, if I knew how to do it on my own!
-Strut tower brace and CAI, even IF I wanted some shop to do this, I wouldn't know where to take it. Does a dealership do this for you?
-Exhaust, if only I knew what it would sound like before hand, then I would pull the trigger on this asap. I'm terrified of blowing money and getting back a droning piece of crap. NO DRONE.
-Kenwood DNN990HD, I would pull the trigger on right now, except, I'm told by the would-be installer that "if you do that, say goodbye to your steering wheel controls":shakehead:
-Steering wheel, wouldn't know where to get this done, and I'd be afraid the person doing it would set off a damn airbag!:Wow1:
MOPAR T-Shifter, again, if I knew how to do this and was confident in my ability to do so, I would be all over this ASAP.

My problem is I just don't know where to start, but more so I just can't bring myself to waste the money having 'professionals' do it all when I know I could do it myself if I just found someone who could help (that knows what they're doing) and save myself a lot of money.
Who knew getting this Redline Challenger would be so stressful!:SHOCKED:

Comments, advice, jokes?

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
31,093 Posts
James,
The Mopar T-Shifter is so easy even an older "woman" got it done in about 10 minutes!! Never had any help, there is a thread with pictures to show you exactly how to do this. Super easy!! Just do it!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
James,
The Mopar T-Shifter is so easy even an older "woman" got it done in about 10 minutes!! Never had any help, there is a thread with pictures to show you exactly how to do this. Super easy!! Just do it!
Betty is correct! Takes no time at all, suuuuuper easy to do. Took me longer to find my tools than the actual install. Pull the trigger.

catch can should be your first mod buddy!
X2. Get. It. Done. Also a fairly simple mod.

And there is plenty of info on this forum on getting the CAI done. I had no idea how to get started, took a couple searches here on the Z, and hour later had my CAI installed. No biggie! I would do catch can, CAI, exhaust. The rest can wait. :smileup:

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
catch can
exhaust
tuner
CAI

those would be the first 4 in my humble opinion
Agreed......Catch can is a simple install....Exhaust will make a huge difference in sound....a tuner will wake your car up and a CAI just for added sound and a few extra ponies!!!

·
Registered
997 Posts
1st list: Take your time, priorities first, Performance CAI system,catch can, exhaust system after you have heard a couple in person. On line sound bites hard to tell with the sound, so do it in person. If you hear a car you like just ask the driver what he bought.

Nice to have Mods put on a 2nd list

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hate to throw a wrench into your plans, but you mention pulling the trigger on the Kenwood but didn't want to lose steering wheel controls.....not true. There are 2 companies that make the steering wheel interface. The only thing you will lose is the UConnect voice control. How do I know? I have a Kenwood NAV system installed.

Now that being said everyone else has great suggestions that aren't a lot of work and a little less expensive. Come on...it's only money! :D:D

Just be careful, as you have seen that mod bug bites hard!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hate to throw a wrench into your plans, but you mention pulling the trigger on the Kenwood but didn't want to lose steering wheel controls.....not true. There are 2 companies that make the steering wheel interface. The only thing you will lose is the UConnect voice control. How do I know? I have a Kenwood NAV system installed.
Woah wait hold the phone... Say what? Lol you got an aftermarket screen installed with NAV and everything, and your steering wheel controls still work??? Wtf? Who did it for you? Maybe I need to get a 2nd opinion from a different shop!!!
1st list: Take your time, priorities first, Performance CAI system,catch can, exhaust system after you have heard a couple in person. On line sound bites hard to tell with the sound, so do it in person. If you hear a car you like just ask the driver what he bought.

Nice to have Mods put on a 2nd list
I'd love to hear some exhausts' in person but I don't know anyone with a Challenger besides me. If anyone lives somewhat near Nashua NH and has an exhaust put on their Challenger I'd gladly meet up to hear it in person! Oh, and 3.6L pentastar motors is what I'd like to hear since that's what I'm working with lol.
catch can should be your first mod buddy!
Okay almost everyone said catch can. *puts on noob hat* What is a catch can, what is it for?:wavey:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hey James - I do my own installs always have. PAC makes one interface and Metra Axxess makes another. (I have the Axxess in my Challenger)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi James,

I'm down the road-a-piece in Derry! I have the Blastin Bob's Resonator delete ( with Magnaflow glasspack ). Some drone but manageable.

Once the snow and salt clears, we can meet up and you can have a listen.

Don

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts
The easy DIY projects are the T-shifter (10 min.) and the CAI (30 min.). Like you, I am hesitant on replacing my exhaust due to the possibility of getting drone. I've owned my Challenger over four years and still haven't committed to a new system. IMO, if avoiding the possibility of drone is paramount, than I would advise that you also consider a Corsa system. Corsa's exhaust seems to be universally praised for being drone-less.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Okay almost everyone said catch can. *puts on noob hat* What is a catch can, what is it for?:wavey:[/QUOTE]

A Catch Can prevents unwanted oil from getting into your Intake. It basically catches all the excess blow-by....it's a small mod that has a big impact. You can see it here pictured in my engine bay.....it's the Moroso silver can:

·
Registered
614 Posts
So to be clear, you have that installed and the volume up/down and channel up/down buttons behind the steering wheel all still work?

Yes - too bad you are not closer....

·
Registered
614 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.