Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your Challenger is stock or only mildly modded( no tune) then you should be using the manufacturer's suggested octane. With a higher octane you are not going to go faster or save fuel or burn cleaner. Higher octane is basically to prevent detonation( pre ignition of the gasoline) in performance engines. If you hear a pinging then maybe try a higher octane but don't waste your money( that you could spend on something worthwhile) by using higher when not needed.
Challenger SE 87 octane
Challenger R/T 89 octane
Challenger SRT 91-93 octane

Here's some good reading

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/autos/aut12.shtm

I will be glad to entertain comments from those who think I'm wrong, but show me proof.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Below was taken from the 2010 Dodge Challenger owners manual (PDF)

Fuel Selection (3.5L and 5.7L Engine
– Automatic Transmission)
87 Octane Acceptable — 89 Octane Recommended
Fuel Selection (5.7L Engine –
Manual Transmission)
91 Octane

6SP R/T's require 91.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Even with 93 octane both the Challenger and Jeep pull some timing due to ST KR. In the summer it is much worse so I don't think having too high an octane rating on pump gas is a problem with the SRTs.

·
Old Hot Rod
3,203 Posts
I have a lot of mods, but did not change the compression ratio, and ran 100 octane at the track to see if there would be an improvement, even ran more timing, but had no effect on the ET or MPH, and was compared to the 93 octane I was used to running, the runs were compared on identical DA conditions.

·
Registered
84 Posts
That makes sense........what do you think 89 octane would do? I'm guessing that you would get some knock, timing would be pulled and performance would lag.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the octane for the R/T Challenger as I just got it this month and I definitely have the perma-smile ya'll talk about!

·
Old Hot Rod
3,203 Posts
That makes sense........what do you think 89 octane would do? I'm guessing that you would get some knock, timing would be pulled and performance would lag.
You wouldn't get any knock, because the ant-knock sensors would eliminate that by retarding the timing, but yes, then you would notice a performance issue.

·
Registered
352 Posts
i been using 91 to be safe, winter gas has more crap in it so i use higher octane in the winter to try to balance things out .

all though my my tuner should be in this week so ill be running 91 anyway

1 - 9 of 9 Posts