Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We here obviously love our Challengers. Many of us have been members of the Z for quite some time. Some post often and have first name basis relationships with each other which is a great thing. Some like myself check in from time to time to see what's new or enjoy reading through discussions and comment occasionally when they have some input. I think we all like to see new members join and discover the joys of MOPAR ownership. To see them fall in love in the same way we did with our beloved muscle car and become part of our family.

I read all of the articles I come across about any performance car. I've been a car enthusiast my whole life. While I can appreciate many different kinds of cars, my first love was Muscle cars.

I know there are many out there out there that don't get it. I know I'm not speaking to any of them now of course. I'm sure you all have run into them, the people that just don't understand us car nuts. You can't avoid them, sadly they out number us. They're at the grocery store setting bags down on the hood or roof of their car to dig in their pocket for the keys. They sneer at us for parking in the sticks to avoid them. If they knew I used google maps to scout an unfamiliar parking lot before I decided to drive my car there they would think I should be committed. Maybe you even let one ride in your car and watched in silent horror as they slammed the door by putting their whole hand on the top rear corner of the window. They never have a thought about "what did you do to your car today" or "how to park a Challenger".

But even worse than the woefully unenlightened are the posers. Which brings me back to the many articles I read. We in MOPAR land are all aglow because of THE news...707! I have been devouring every article I see on it. It's pretty repetitive but I don't care. With online articles I am always fascinated by the comments section. Many comments are positive and there are the usual trolls to ignore but many pseudo car experts that you know have never sat in a Challenger much less driven one trying to push their negativity on everyone. "It's heavy" 707 horsepower will fix that. "Challengers can't handle" I've driven a wide variety of performance cars and I assure you my R/T can more than hold it's own. Some are obviously jealous Ford and Chevy guys or import lovers or just plain clueless.

I'm proud to be here among my fellow Challenger fans as we celebrate 707! "How much will it cost?" I don't care. How much does 700+hp from the few car manufacturers that even have such a car? WAAAY more. "It's a gas guzzler". Damn right it is, but like I said in another thread "if you were a dead dinosaur would you like your remains to sound like a prius or a Hellcat?" We here are the proud owners of the only real muscle car around today. Sorry Mustang and Camaro you guys are pony cars. And now as far as overall bragging rights go, we have 707 of them. God bless Mother MOPAR!

·
12,989 Posts
Its really nice to see Mopar return to their core values, when the muscle car war was going on in the 60' and 70's Mopar never settled with coming in 2nd or 3rd with GM and Ford and its nice to see their competition green with envy again.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,409 Posts
Very enjoyable post, I think very appropriate right before the 4th of July!! What is more American than having the only true muscle car in 2014? I too have appreciated a lot of classic muscle from the '60's & '70's, so it is refreshing to see Dodge continue that tradition with the 707!!

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Nice....very nice post!! You mentioned the comments on these many sites now about the big "707". I too have been browsing and let me tell you...there are alot of haters out there that will NEVER give the credit due. There was a guy on one trashing the Hellcat and bragging about how his 3000 pound Vette would wipe the floor. I actually wrote a in your face reply...something I never do....but when I tryed to submit it it told me I had to have a fakebook account which will never happen. Oh well...It would have been a waste of time anyhow.LOL

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
Great post stig! Even though this is my first MOPAR, I grew up wanting a real MOPAR muscle car. I have owned FORDS & CHEVS, some were nice cars others were junk, but I respect any car that can turn a head and make the Owner proud.
I totally get where your coming from regarding the "others" who don't understand our passion for cars.
I have to admit, I've also been trolling some other forums to see what the Ford & Chevy guys are saying about the Hellcat. Some are honest assessments (I guess those must be the ones I agree with) and others, well it's obvious, come from haters. I won't respond to any, I was just lurking.
If I did respond I guess I'd have to tell them that there's always going to be a bigger dog on the block at some time - and guess what? The time is here and now!

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
I am a fan of ALL performance cars, but Mopars are by far at the top of my list. Fords and Chevy's have and continue to put out Torque and HP Monsters, but the Hellcat is a totally new animal. There really is nothing like it on the planet. It's not a small or midsized sports car, it's not an Executive Coupe. It's a car whose design has been infused with decades of Mopar history resulting in a one-of-a-kind Rocket Ship. Ford nor Chevy can't even begin to say that the technology of the Hellcat is something they can compete with. Period,

Reactions: MommaBetty

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
great post Stig...that's for sure.

I really don't care too much what Ford or Chev or anyone else does to be perfectly honest. They make some nice stuff too and to those that love them, enjoy them.

I love my Challenger though, and I love all your Challengers too and I'm totally excited about the new Hellcat and the 707 just blows me away.

Well done Mopar!

·
Registered
22,643 Posts
Good post and yeah I've noticed there are always those that can't acknowledge any other manufacturers achievements. About the only thing they seem to be able to think of in order to take a shot at the Hellcat is that it's so big, why it's a whale, it's too heavy. Well then you can see it better as it blows by you LOL. Personally I like the size of the Challenger, I like having a full sized Muscle car that I can fit comfortably in. While losing a couple of pounds off the car wouldn't bother me I wouldn't want to do it at the expense of interior room as that's a major positive feature for me.

·
Now that was dumb!
6,005 Posts
Always have................always will. MOPAR.

May I remind you folks since the sixties Mopar has been showing it's tail lights to other brands on the

track. Now they'll just do it again on the road also. They never stopped doing so BTW.

Long race heritage here from the Gen 1 HEMIS to the wedge (413) and the 426 Max Wedge ( which was simply a bored out 413) to the game changing 426 Gen II Hemi and now the GenIIIs'.

Ain't it grand?? Plus we can put a ham sammich in our trunks, and golf clubs to boot!

Reactions: MIDNITE RT

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,409 Posts
Good post and yeah I've noticed there are always those that can't acknowledge any other manufacturers achievements. About the only thing they seem to be able to think of in order to take a shot at the Hellcat is that it's so big, why it's a whale, it's too heavy. Well then you can see it better as it blows by you LOL. Personally I like the size of the Challenger, I like having a full sized Muscle car that I can fit comfortably in. While losing a couple of pounds off the car wouldn't bother me I wouldn't want to do it at the expense of interior room as that's a major positive feature for me.
Totally agree with your assessment of the interior room! I love it! They can brag all they want about their smaller size cars, but I'll take the Challenger any day on all those road trips!! So fun to ride and drive!!

·
Premium Member
18,435 Posts
Stig - your observations made me think of the differences between the early 70's and today. Back then,all the local muscle car guys would get together every Friday night in a McDonald's parking lot.Although mostly Chevy,there were all kinds of beautiful cars there.No one talked trash about each others' rides."Mine is faster than yours", yes but no trash talking brands.All cars were appreciated.
I'm not sure if its the anonymity of the internet,but things are a lot different today and frankly it makes no sense. A nice car is a nice car... period. Of course I'm partial to Challengers for the reasons stated above, but there are a lot of nice cars on the road.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
If I did respond I guess I'd have to tell them that there's always going to be a bigger dog on the block at some time - and guess what? The time is here and now!
I do believe you mean a bigger CAT.

BTW, great post, Stig. Hit the nail on the head.

·
Now that was dumb!
6,005 Posts
I post on another forum. I posted a topic called It's official (for the time being) and included a link to the 707hp post with the videos. Now, there are a lot of car guys there who are suddenly a bit snotty since Dodge just kicked dirt on their favorite muscle cars who already had superchargers installed. The younger ones posted about midlife crisis etc. having to do with what we now own. I had to point out that it is not midlife and we have been car guys for life. I also pointed out to the little buggers that they weren't around in the 60s and the muscle car era was popular and bred a culture all its' own. Told them they will never know how or what we felt then and now. In no uncertain terms I told them what little they did know. In closing I suggested they go back to texting, don't depend on Wiki to be a reliable source (it isn't) and to get back to me when they can tell me who the Vice-President of the US is. Now that should take those little buggers awhile to answer.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
I post on another forum. I posted a topic called It's official (for the time being) and included a link to the 707hp post with the videos. Now, there are a lot of car guys there who are suddenly a bit snotty since Dodge just kicked dirt on their favorite muscle cars who already had superchargers installed. The younger ones posted about midlife crisis etc. having to do with what we now own. I had to point out that it is not midlife and we have been car guys for life. I also pointed out to the little buggers that they weren't around in the 60s and the muscle car era was popular and bred a culture all its' own. Told them they will never know how or what we felt then and now. In no uncertain terms I told them what little they did know. In closing I suggested they go back to texting, don't depend on Wiki to be a reliable source (it isn't) and to get back to me when they can tell me who the Vice-President of the US is. Now that should take those little buggers awhile to answer.
LMAO...Hey wayne...did you see that piece on TV about 6 months ago where they had a camera man and news crew on a busy street...I think it was New York maybe...and they where stopping people and asking them their opinion on the question "Should the sequester be transfered to Portugal?" It was on one hand hilarious...but on the other hand...scary has #@!!.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Well Ralph Gilles said he'd have an answer and boy what an answer it is!!,he's definitely a man of his word:)...So thank you Ralph and thank you Dodge:),still loving my Challenger:),wouldn't trade it in for anything:)

·
Now that was dumb!
6,005 Posts
LMAO...Hey wayne...did you see that piece on TV about 6 months ago where they had a camera man and news crew on a busy street...I think it was New York maybe...and they where stopping people and asking them their opinion on the question "Should the sequester be transfered to Portugal?" It was on one hand hilarious...but on the other hand...scary has #@!!.

Dan LOLOL I did! The question I asked was posed on the Campus of Cal University. Between the two students neither one knew the answer!
This was about a year ago on the Leno show.

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
I had a 1970 I regret selling. I have a 2010 I will keep for a long time, I'm now thinking of the trifecta and adding a 2015 Hellcat. Mopar has been in my blood since the late 1970's. I remember we did the same thing on a Fri & Sat night. Everyone meeting with their muscle cars at a local McD's. There was never any bashing, just friends gathering talking cars and helping wrench each other's rides. As Archie Bunker would say, "those were the days."

·
Premium Member
18,435 Posts
I had a 1970 I regret selling. I have a 2010 I will keep for a long time, I'm now thinking of the trifecta and adding a 2015 Hellcat. Mopar has been in my blood since the late 1970's. I remember we did the same thing on a Fri & Sat night. Everyone meeting with their muscle cars at a local McD's. There was never any bashing, just friends gathering talking cars and helping wrench each other's rides. As Archie Bunker would say, "those were the days."
Won't have to worry about exhaust modifications to that one TikiMan.

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,409 Posts
Great post, laughing, laughing and laughing!!! You just said exactly what I think!! When I first got the Challenger I had a few people tell me I must be having a mid-life crisis. Not true! I am too da** old for that! I like you grew up in a '60's muscle car era where cruising and cool cars were king!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts