Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my challenger only has 3000 miles, but the past week or so I've noticed she is pulling to the right. I've already checked air pressure in the tires, looked to see if I could see anything loose, etc. Reason for the post is I'm curious if anyone else had alignment issues after buying their car? I have the 18 rims with the stock 235 55 18.

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT-8
8,090 Posts
Try switching the front tires and see if if goes left.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Try switching the front tires and see if if goes left.
This is a very good place to start. Sometimes the belts will shift in a tire long before they separate and fail which of course they are never supposed to do. If you switch the front tires and the pull or drift...whichever you may be getting...goes away...or switches to a drift the other direction...you have a tire going bad on you. If on the other hand it stays the same....something has either happened to your alignment like a bad pot hole or such....or you may have one brake caliper not fully releasing on the side it's pulling to. This can often be determined by feeling both your front wheels with your hand after a 15 or 20 minuet ride and seeing if one is noticeably warmer...or hotter..than the other. has far has being a common...or even somewhat common problem of your year model just "going" out of alignment all on its own...it hasn't been reported here.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hadn't seen it anywhere, but figured I would ask. I checked the brakes and wheels when I got home from work today and no excess heat there. I'll switch the tires tomorrow if the weather permits and see how that goes.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
My RT pulled slightly to the right. Dealer said in was normal due to the crowning in the road. Never noticed it on my other vehicles. Swapped tires around and had a wheel alignment, exactly the same. Since then I have traded the RT for a 2014 SXT, this one goes straight as an arrow. Hopefully you will figure out why yours pulls, I never did.

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT-8
8,090 Posts
I hadn't seen it anywhere, but figured I would ask. I checked the brakes and wheels when I got home from work today and no excess heat there. I'll switch the tires tomorrow if the weather permits and see how that goes.
If it's still pulling after switching the tires get a alignment done,stick around and tell them you want a copy of the readings before and after any adjustments,you want to end up with a little more positive caster in the right front to make it track straight if al the other readings are in spec.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I swapped the front tires and she's still pulling to the right. Going to the dealership Saturday morning to get it checked out.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, all four wheels were out of alignment specs. The tech also told me that supposedly wheel alignments are covered until 12k miles, so to come back before then and tell him it's pulling again so I'll get a freebie.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
Well, all four wheels were out of alignment specs. The tech also told me that supposedly wheel alignments are covered until 12k miles, so to come back before then and tell him it's pulling again so I'll get a freebie.
Good to know you figured out the problem before wearing out the tires. Hopefully the 4 wheel alignment will have you driving and stopping straight as an arrow! :smileup:

·
Registered
738 Posts
I noticed last weekend that now my steering wheel is not straight when going down the road. It is not much but leans to the right a tad I have 17k on it, not sure if its a tire or the steering wheel needs to be centered electrically... tires have been rotated twice and car tracks down the road straight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
challenger pulls to the right

I too am having issues with my 2014 RT pulling to the right. I brought it back almost immediately to get it aligned. 5-6 alignments later it still pulls to the right. They have done two tire rotations also and no change. Any ideas before I lemon this thing. I love my car and don't want to.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
I too am having issues with my 2014 RT pulling to the right. I brought it back almost immediately to get it aligned. 5-6 alignments later it still pulls to the right. They have done two tire rotations also and no change. Any ideas before I lemon this thing. I love my car and don't want to.
Just an idea...but if you really would like to keep this car...you are at the point that you NEED a PROFESSIONAL third party opinion. I don't see much of any imfo about you or your car at the top right of your post but just about anywhere you live...if you do your homework and research...there is at least one highly recommened front end shop that people agree really know their ......stuff...LOL. This will cost you...but if they can identify and fix whats wrong...considering how many trys the dealer took at it...maybe you could get some or all of your money back....or at least find out if there is something bad wrong with this car from the get go....JMO

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,533 Posts
Second this advice. Sometimes -- unfortunately -- a dealer will blow off a customer with a steering/alignment/pulling problem and not do the alignment or even the tire balance requested.

To the OP you really need to see an official printout of the car's before and after alignment settings.

BTW, I have observed many new cars being driven up and down curbs as the cars are moved around into and out of the showroom and the display spaces around the dealer's showroom. While these curbs are climbed at slow speed the wheels/suspension undergoes considerable loading.

As a general rule I would advise one to get an alignment early. If the dealer service department balks offer to pay the cost if the alignment is found ok. The odds are on your side you'll get the alignment for free.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had another alignment at 11000 miles about a month ago. Car was out of specs again, but not as bad as the first time. I still get the feeling sometimes that mine is pulling to the right still, but its not too bad. I just hope the tire wear issue I had does not come back, or I may be researching a new vehicle... I pray this doesn't happen, as I do love my car.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Take it somewhere besides a dealer, I had mine aligned at a local tire shop that opened about 2 years ago when I replaced the stock F1's and they had all the newest alignment machines, it still drives perfect 20k later.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
That's cool. Must have hit a pothole or something to throw it out of whack. At least they're aligning it for free for you.

I just had new tires put on in November and they did an alignment check and found the front was out just a little bit. I had them do an alignment on it anyway and now it's perfect. I had it done at at Firestone Auto Care place, they provided printouts of the readings before and after the alignment was done.

Sometimes on some really worn out roads where semi's made grooves into the asphalt my car will pull left or right but that's because of the grooves. On a nice flat road it's straight as an arrow.

Glad you got it figured out and fixed!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just an idea...but if you really would like to keep this car...you are at the point that you NEED a PROFESSIONAL third party opinion. I don't see much of any imfo about you or your car at the top right of your post but just about anywhere you live...if you do your homework and research...there is at least one highly recommened front end shop that people agree really know their ......stuff...LOL. This will cost you...but if they can identify and fix whats wrong...considering how many trys the dealer took at it...maybe you could get some or all of your money back....or at least find out if there is something bad wrong with this car from the get go....JMO
So I updated the car info. I took it back in and they aligned it one more time. they said it was pulling to the right during the test drive but when they hooked it up to the machine everything was in the green. They did a manual adjustment to out the steering wheel straight and said the car drives straight. It doesn't!! Still pulls to the right as soon as I let go of the wheel. This happens every time. Test drive - pulls to the right. Alignment machine says every thing is okay. They "do the alignment" anyways and then say it's driving straight. The steering wheel is now about a degree off to the left if I hold it to drive straight due to the 'manual adjustment'. I called immediately and the tech said it will naturally pull to the right some while driving and even more while braking which it does evermore so.

This last time they said the front brakes were almost metal to metal and replaced the brakes and rotors under warranty. This car only has 8500 miles. Now telling me the front tires need to be replaced not under warranty and a day after replacing the front brakes they tell me the back brakes show signs of hard braking indicating hard driving. I baby the hell out if this car. Am I getting shafted here? I am taking it to a 3rd party alignment ship tomorrow to get their opinion. Anybody know anyone in Southern California south county area

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
So I updated the car info. I took it back in and they aligned it one more time. they said it was pulling to the right during the test drive but when they hooked it up to the machine everything was in the green. They did a manual adjustment to out the steering wheel straight and said the car drives straight. It doesn't!! Still pulls to the right as soon as I let go of the wheel. This happens every time. Test drive - pulls to the right. Alignment machine says every thing is okay. They "do the alignment" anyways and then say it's driving straight. The steering wheel is now about a degree off to the left if I hold it to drive straight due to the 'manual adjustment'. I called immediately and the tech said it will naturally pull to the right some while driving and even more while braking which it does evermore so.

This last time they said the front brakes were almost metal to metal and replaced the brakes and rotors under warranty. This car only has 8500 miles. Now telling me the front tires need to be replaced not under warranty and a day after replacing the front brakes they tell me the back brakes show signs of hard braking indicating hard driving. I baby the hell out if this car. Am I getting shafted here? I am taking it to a 3rd party alignment ship tomorrow to get their opinion. Anybody know anyone in Southern California south county area
WOW!!...8,500 miles and the brakes are shot??? Something sounds seriously fishy to me. The front tires needing replacement will not be under warranty but that sure does speak volumes about the front end alignment being wrong. JMO but I would run...not walk away from this shop. Unfortunatly...you are going to need new front tires now before a correct alignment can be done. Hard for me to say all he way from Texas but I like whatI see from this place.
http://eastcountyalignment.com/

1 - 20 of 27 Posts