Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a 2021 Challenger Scat Pack as my next vehicle. I was watching a youtube video by a gentleman called Schwarz_ and he said one of the downsides of owning one was that Traffic police seem to single you out. He said that if you are in a group of other drivers doing 5-10 mph over the limit that the Challenger would always be the one pulled over. My question is: do you feel you are overly scrutinized by traffic cops or is poor Schwarz_ just unlucky? Other than that Schwarz_ seems very knowledgeable about scat packs and had a very good presentation video.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have not run into anything like that.... .actually on a trip through Indiana a state trooper pulled up right on my tail.... I pulled over to the right lane (I was driving 80 mph)… he pulled up beside me, rolled his passenger window down and gave me the thumbs up sign...… then got off the next exit and waved as I went by....

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,619 Posts
I've owned my Challenger for 7 years and I was pulled over only once in that time, and for good reason. "it's Got A Hemi" Gets Me Out Of A Ticket

The last time I attended traffic school was to get a speeding ticket forgiven more than 30 years ago. At that time, I was driving a bright red Mazda RX-7 GTU. I asked the cop instructing the class if it was true that cops targeted red sports cars for speeding violations (remember, I was young and dumb and given to asking obvious questions). The cop replied, "You bought a red sports car to get noticed. Congratulations! You got noticed!"

Another cop and friend once told me that cops prioritize traffic stops (in this order) 1. Drunk drivers. 2. Reckless drivers. 3. Speeders. If you speed but are not hitting autobahn speeds. weaving in and out of traffic, or ignoring pertinent conditions (weather, traffic density) a lot of cops will let you get by, or forgive the citation if they do pull you over.

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
2,986 Posts
I think more than a few LEO's are car enthusiast's themselves with some pretty hot street cars in their garages. Back when I was younger there were 4 local policemen in our local car club. One even had a '66 Hemi Coronet 500 with a Torqueflite.. The others were a mix of Chevy's and street rods.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Never pulled over in the Challenger just cause it was a Challenger....I've been flagged into a parking lot once by the police when my wife an I were cruising around town together in our 70 challenger and 15 challenger (following each other) but that was more for the policemen to look at the cars and shoot the crap little about their toys / hobbies.

I've found the majority of the police out there are car / motorcycle people (both the men & women) so they enjoy cars just as much as us, but in the end they are not going to let you get away with anything either.

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
I am considering a 2021 Challenger Scat Pack as my next vehicle. I was watching a youtube video by a gentleman called Schwarz_ and he said one of the downsides of owning one was that Traffic police seem to single you out. He said that if you are in a group of other drivers doing 5-10 mph over the limit that the Challenger would always be the one pulled over. My question is: do you feel you are overly scrutinized by traffic cops or is poor Schwarz_ just unlucky? Other than that Schwarz_ seems very knowledgeable about scat packs and had a very good presentation video.
I would not let that concern affect my decision unless you know you are simply a bad driver and prone to getting tickets?

·
Registered
873 Posts
I've never had an issue. It's how you drive and act.

Heading to bible study tonight with the fetching Mrs. R. The couple that host are retired LEO's from the north east.

Both are HD riders (his/her bikes) and she went and became an RN after retiring from duty. Her present for graduating was a 2009 Shelby GT500 Mustang. Cool car/bike people.

·
What's Old is New Again!
37,840 Posts
The only reason you should be pulled over driving a Challenger is if you deserve to be pulled over for doing something you shouldn’t be doing.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I drive a GoManGo Challenger Hellcat with a black hood, sticks out like sore thumb. So far in 2 years have never been pulled over. Except for when I’m “practicing” in which I scope out the road before playing I drive slower then I do in my silver 4Runner out on the highway even running a radar detector. I feel YES I would be picked out of the pack so it helps me to behave.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,619 Posts
I think more than a few LEO's are car enthusiast's themselves with some pretty hot street cars in their garages. Back when I was younger there were 4 local policemen in our local car club. One even had a '66 Hemi Coronet 500 with a Torqueflite.. The others were a mix of Chevy's and street rods.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Never got pulled over in mine. Got looked at pretty closely a few times, maybe the B5 color. Usually I go with the flow but never lead or be a Tail Gunner Charlie.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Not my experience. Was pulled over in my dark blue VW Golf TDI (90hp) at least once but never once pulled over in my torrid red GTO (400hp) in 50K miles of driving.

Have been pulled over in my Porsche cars a number of times. Porsches are no big deal where I lived in CA but out in some areas of the country the cars stand out like a sore thumb. In one case I was pulled over in AZ by a state trooper for failing to signal a lane change. I did not cut any body off. I was very tired and was fighting to avoid falling asleep behind the wheel. I was probably "signaling" but was so tired I was using the cruise control stalk under the turn signal stalk.

At any rate long story short among other things trooper told me is he holds drivers of cars like my car -- at the time a Porsche 996 Turbo -- to a higher standard than drivers of lesser cars. He let me go with a warning.

So far with my Hellcat and with 2+ years and 26K+ miles of driving I've never been pulled over once. Among other things I don't drive in groups of vehicles going 5 to 10mph over either.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts