Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
27,551 Posts
Reactions: boyohboy

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
2,958 Posts
What is it with today's film writers, gosh darn it! Those old Chargers don't stand a chance in heck of making it through the closing credits unscathed...

Reactions: boyohboy

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
if your friends are saying that the challengers are cop magnets means your friends are the cop magnets not the car. true story, almost 20 yrs ago, had a state trooper follow me for like 5 exits as i was cruising at 98 mph at 3 a.m. on the ny state thruway. right behind me. i signaled to get off so i could get a room at a hotel, and he followed me off, followed me to the hotel and approached me as i got out of my car. told me if i had seen him, i said yes. he asked why i didn't slow down, told him we were on an empty 4 lane thruway, i was in the 2nd to left lane, the one next to the passing lane, and i wasn't weaving in and out of traffic. told him i had cruise control on and was just on autopilot. asked him why he didn't stop me, he said, you weren't doing anything crazy, just driving fast. he smiled, told me to be safe and left. so, like pretty much what everybody above me has stated, its how you drive, not what you drive.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
oddly enough, i see more "mature" drivers in challengers than in either mustangs or camaros from driving around. still like it was when i was a wee lad, you had all the young guns running their camaros and mustangs on the street while the older guys ran their challengers on the track. so, unless you are wearing your hat backwards and pumping limp bizkit from your car, you are safe.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
depends on your area, not trying to take over the thread but i had an experience with a red light camera years ago in ny. there was an accident where 8th ave and broadway cross over in times square, cop on scene directing traffic. he is motioning me to come on through and i point to the red light, he yells over that he has authority on site. so i go. i get a red light ticket from the camera. i go to court and spent 6 months arguing with the city and the state about this. they all agree that the officer has the right to let me through, the officer was there most of the time to corroborate the story, but then the state says i have to pay the ticket while the city says no. finally, a lawyer who happened to be watching walks over and points out that the camera has no representation there so the case has to be thrown out since they, the camera company, can not prove that it was me since the photo cleared showed me, the officer waving me through and the red light. so yes, those red light cameras are just money makers. but, i think in smaller areas they might be monitored. either way, be safe. and for mopar/nocar, i hope you will remove the bay window before parking your car in the mayors living room, scratches like that are a pain to remove.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I did 26 yrs as a LEO. The make and model of car you drive has very little impact on violation enforcement. If anything has a “look at me” factor right from the start it would be a high impact color that I could see coming from over a mile away. Bright red is obviously more visible than charcoal gray whether it’s on a Porsche or Pontiac. Now that I can see you I can then determine if the way you are driving needs more scrutiny. The vehicle will only do what the driver commands. Let’s face it every law and ordinance compliance is based upon the honor system that you as an individual will follow the wording the way it’s written when no one is watching you. For example, if it says this road is only rated for say 55mph and you get caught going 70mph, did you not make a decision to do that? The officer has the discretion to cite you at even 1mph over the legal limit but you will find most are very laid back and if you do get cited, then you probably earned it, if not in your opinion for this infraction, then maybe for the time you willfully violated the laws and never got stopped.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yep, they will be watching you like a hawk. The cops will park on your street and everytime you leave theyll be following you around, pulling you over for anything and for no reason at all. Get ready for daily harrassment, a speeding ticket at least once a week whether your speeding or not, and you'll also get your car towed a few times as well. They also like to call the drug dog everytime they pull you over and let him claw around inside your challenger with dirty paws. Cops hate challengers and they will make your life miserable for buying one.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I am considering a 2021 Challenger Scat Pack as my next vehicle. I was watching a youtube video by a gentleman called Schwarz_ and he said one of the downsides of owning one was that Traffic police seem to single you out. He said that if you are in a group of other drivers doing 5-10 mph over the limit that the Challenger would always be the one pulled over. My question is: do you feel you are overly scrutinized by traffic cops or is poor Schwarz_ just unlucky? Other than that Schwarz_ seems very knowledgeable about scat packs and had a very good presentation video.
I have a Plum Crazy Scat Pack and no issues ever with driving mine anywhere.

Reactions: moparX2

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
When these cars came back on the scene in 2008 & 2009 they were a sight to be seen!!!
In the first 12 months of having my 2009 Challenger R/T; I got stopped (on a Hum-Bug) 3 times, and each time was on a major highway while going the speed limit. It was very obvious they were only interested in getting Owner/Operator Feedback on "likeability, performance, and reasonable affordability". NO TICKETS at all from May 2009 to Present September 2020 and I have two Challengers (2009 R/T & 2016 Scat).

If you don't have a Radar Detector, you better have Great Police Intuition. LOL

Reactions: Thegreekmason

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Yep, they will be watching you like a hawk. The cops will park on your street and everytime you leave theyll be following you around, pulling you over for anything and for no reason at all. Get ready for daily harrassment, a speeding ticket at least once a week whether your speeding or not, and you'll also get your car towed a few times as well. They also like to call the drug dog everytime they pull you over and let him claw around inside your challenger with dirty paws. Cops hate challengers and they will make your life miserable for buying one.
guess that depends on your area. my neighbors were quick to point out that i was driving a drug dealers car. im sorry, but, honestly, why would you draw attention to yourself driving around in a loud 45+ thousand car when you can drive around in a 45+ thousand dollar infiniti as a dealer. and this is from years of having leo's as friends and family. if you drive like a moron, expect to be pulled over.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
10 years and 4 different Challengers - all with loud exhausts. Only pulled over once and given a warning (It may have helped that my wife was on crutches and had them Next to her in the front seat). You just need to be careful and never be the leader in a pack of cars going over the speed limit. And stay in the right lane. However, it is a statistical fact that red cars get more speeding tickets and I can attest to this with having owned 2 different red Firebirds!

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Wow - that is really paranoid! Where the heck do you live and what have you done in the past? I’ve never heard anything like that. Law Enforcement around here is cool - treat them with respect and it is usually reciprocal. Maybe you better move! First time I read your post I almost figured you were making it up and I thought, ”this can’t be true....”

·
Registered
701 Posts
Wow - that is really paranoid! Where the heck do you live and what have you done in the past? I’ve never heard anything like that. Law Enforcement around here is cool - treat them with respect and it is usually reciprocal. Maybe you better move! First time I read your post I almost figured you were making it up and I thought, ”this can’t be true....”
I am sure he was being sarcastic...why would a person be worried about buying a Challenger because it might be a cop magnet when there are so many other Challengers, Chargers, Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs, Porsche’s, Audi’s and “look-at-me” rice burners on the road?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I got my first Challenger in Nov '10, got pulled over for pics about 3 days later, and asked a ton of questions. Pulled over several other times, once another Hemi Orange Challenger had taken off when the cops tried to pull them over, and he thought it was me. No tickets, except for a fender bender I was at fault in. Traded it in 7/18 for present car, pulled over once, should have had a ticket, he had me cold at 20 over, but instead got a friendly, "Take it easy!", then a request for a smoky burnout. The local cops wave at me all the time, and I think I'm pretty much as invisible as I could be in a Torred car.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
When mine was new I got pulled over a couple of times for a think driver envy, no tickets but then I always treat the cop respectfully even if I think I didn't do anything wrong. Now though there are so many of them that that is a thing of the past.

·
Premium Member
2,817 Posts
Just don't do this on the street and you'll be just fine!

The stupidest thing he did was allow that smoke to get in the cabin of the car, never get that smell out. He was probably on the way to get new tires! Ry

21 - 40 of 48 Posts