Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to replace my spark plugs (car is coming up on 75k miles) in the next couple of months, and I am planning to install a 100hp N2O kit by the end of the year on the car. What I am looking for is a set of double iridium spark plugs that are one heat range colder than stock. I can find regular iridium plugs in one range colder, however I am having trouble running down the TT or double iridium plugs. Does anyone know which part number to get? I really don't care who makes them.

What I have seen out there so far:
Fast Hemis one step colder single iridium
HHP plug set single iridium which the NGK part number says is 1 or 2 steps colder than stock

Thoughts?

·
Registered
463 Posts
You would probably be okay one heat range colder but two with a moderate shot would be better. Recommend NGK BR7EF at .032. Also, if you haven't already made a product choice, take a look at ZEX Hemi Challenger kit. Adjustable from 75 to 125 shot and safe to run on stock injectors. Have fun...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am planning to get the NX Proton kit with the 15lb bottle. 50-250hp for $565. Is there a reason to go Zex over NX? I have heard good things about both. I plan to run a small (1gal) fuel cell under the hood, using a moroso hellcat intercooler reservoir as the cell, and a holley mighty mite fuel pump to give the N2O it's own supply of C16 independent of the car's fuel system. Which brings up my next question, do all 15+ challengers have the mounting provisions for the hellcat intercooler reservoir tank?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
1,868 Posts
I am planning to get the NX Proton kit with the 15lb bottle. 50-250hp for $565. Is there a reason to go Zex over NX? I have heard good things about both. I plan to run a small (1gal) fuel cell under the hood, using a moroso hellcat intercooler reservoir as the cell, and a holley mighty mite fuel pump to give the N2O it's own supply of C16 independent of the car's fuel system. Which brings up my next question, do all 15+ challengers have the mounting provisions for the hellcat intercooler reservoir tank?
Thanks.

Fuel cell under the hood...where it will heat up and give off flammable vapors.........hmmm.......

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was looking to mount it near the brake booster or on the opposite side near the washer reservoir where the hellcat intercooler tank sits. If you have a better idea, I am open to suggestion.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Iridium plugs were always a no-no for nitrous, copper core with a non-projected tip is what used to be recommended. running a plug that is too cold when you’re not running nitrous may give you a problem. I have a in trunk fuel cell with pump and regulator and a couple plates one with solenoids on it if you’re interested let me know I’ll post some pictures. I went corn instead of spray.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
1,868 Posts
Iridium plugs were always a no-no for nitrous, copper core with a non-projected tip is what used to be recommended. running a plug that is too cold when you’re not running nitrous may give you a problem. I have a in trunk fuel cell with pump and regulator and a couple plates one with solenoids on it if you’re interested let me know I’ll post some pictures. I went corn instead of spray.

No suggestions other than the trunk, which has it's own set of problems, but at least heat & potential fume ignition isn't a concern there.

But I know under the hood is not the best idea for the reasons I mentioned previously...not to mention it may not pass tech at a track....

Reactions: 6.4Mike

·
Registered
463 Posts
I was looking to mount it near the brake booster or on the opposite side near the washer reservoir where the hellcat intercooler tank sits. If you have a better idea, I am open to suggestion.
To answer your previous question, I believe that the reservoir bracket will mount to any Challenger provided you are using the stock location over the passenger side shock tower.

No rule that I'm aware of prohibits mounting a fuel cell within the confines of the engine compartment but it must be mounted a minimum of 6" from the firewall and vented outside of the car. Even non-sanctioned track safety officials adhere to those two stipulations.

I would seriously reconsider attempting to utilize an intercooler reservoir as a fuel cell. It is not designed to carry fuel but rather intercooler coolant so would have a very low burst resistance. It would have to be vented (vented caps are not allowed). It would have to be modified to accept a fuel pickup. It lacks any type of slosh control (going lean on nitrous at 6000 rpm with your right foot planted firmly on the mat would likely result in a series of very interesting events). It would probably cost more bucks than it's worth to turn it into an even marginally acceptable fuel cell. Just sayin'

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes please on the pictures!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To answer your previous question, I believe that the reservoir bracket will mount to any Challenger provided you are using the stock location over the passenger side shock tower.

No rule that I'm aware of prohibits mounting a fuel cell within the confines of the engine compartment but it must be mounted a minimum of 6" from the firewall and vented outside of the car. Even non-sanctioned track safety officials adhere to those two stipulations.

I would seriously reconsider attempting to utilize an intercooler reservoir as a fuel cell. It is not designed to carry fuel but rather intercooler coolant so would have a very low burst resistance. It would have to be vented (vented caps are not allowed). It would have to be modified to accept a fuel pickup. It lacks any type of slosh control (going lean on nitrous at 6000 rpm with your right foot planted firmly on the mat would likely result in a series of very interesting events). It would probably cost more bucks than it's worth to turn it into an even marginally acceptable fuel cell. Just sayin'
Well there is a direct replacement moroso tank that is welded aluminum and has slightly larger capacity, whichI was planning to use, not the stock plastic tank. The moroso tank has a radiator cap style pressure relief with a vent I could use to vent fumes away from the engine compartment, however making a pickup in a back corner of the tank may be another issue as I am not sure where the inlet/outlet bungs are mounted on the tank.

I was planning to make this a return style fuel system with a cooler to keep temps down, cuz I was worried about the fuel temps. However it may be better to run a small tank behind the bumper, in front of the radiator instead if I can route a fill neck to one of the drink holders in the front.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Get a good ngk plug 1 stage cooler
Is there a specific plug you suggest?

Also is there a reason iridium plugs should be avoided? I do like the longer service intervals they offer.

My understanding is that higher n2o or boost applications can break off the welded iridium conductors due to excessive pressure, however this is not supposed to be a problem with low boost or n2o applications

Mind you I am getting that from a hot rod magazine tech article that recommended going away from iridium plugs if running more than 200hp worth of n2o or more than 8-10lbs of boost. I have no idea how they arrived at those arbitrary numbers either.

I run shorty copper plugs in my n2o SBC Nova and they are a couple of heat ranges colder than stock. I am running a Magneto ignition on that car which also contributes to plug wear. Unfortunately off the n2o they tend to foul frequently and I pretty much wind up changing them every oil change (every 3k) which is annoying but not terrible on a car I drive occasionally. My Challenger is my daily driver so frequent plug changes is a pretty big deterrent...

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
1,868 Posts
Well there is a direct replacement moroso tank that is welded aluminum and has slightly larger capacity, whichI was planning to use, not the stock plastic tank. The moroso tank has a radiator cap style pressure relief with a vent I could use to vent fumes away from the engine compartment, however making a pickup in a back corner of the tank may be another issue as I am not sure where the inlet/outlet bungs are mounted on the tank.

I was planning to make this a return style fuel system with a cooler to keep temps down, cuz I was worried about the fuel temps. However it may be better to run a small tank behind the bumper, in front of the radiator instead if I can route a fill neck to one of the drink holders in the front.
Remember, behind the bumper may result in a fuel leak or worse if an accident occurs.............hopefully the bumper will protect it from all but a hard hit.

Reactions: 6.4Mike

·
Registered
89 Posts
1 gallon fuel cell with pump and regulator. 3 nitrous plates, and goody box of nitrous stuff. Non of these plates ever used, the one with solenoids on it is rated for use with a progressive controller. $750 and you can have it all, shipped. I’ve been meaning to post these items for a while.
Yes please on the pictures!
2D2E34A5-D857-447B-9084-ED0A58C2F636.jpeg
FE14D9BC-08B3-4546-B1AA-24B5EF56910A.jpeg
8451979A-287C-4D4B-B03D-20C7999DFA0D.jpeg
FD3BB80F-C137-4FBE-8A7F-AF50987AC93E.jpeg
76E967C5-453E-439A-BBE4-57D5CD025260.jpeg
316206E3-F45E-4F97-8C6E-99DDA5A5A2D8.jpeg
4B14DC43-9510-4DE2-ABA8-E1BE280115A1.jpeg
D0D9B298-FCCF-4F0C-A1A1-83656A8D9E4A.jpeg
8AE15071-6C9B-4B33-87B9-657591C77A2B.jpeg
22B90801-1386-4B4A-822E-464035788DC0.jpeg

·
Registered
89 Posts
Put 112 octane fuel in the fuel cell and you don’t have to worry about pulling timing via a different tune. 1 step colder plugs and a 125 shot is no problem. Use a progressive controller and get away with 175 depending on your engine. These plates will flow allot more then this but any more then 175 shot and you need even colder plugs and a timing retard system of some sort.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am interested in the fuel cell with pump and the regulator. I recognize the DW200 pump as the 255 lph pump which should be more than I need. Is the regulator adjustable? Also what dimensions and mounting for the fuel cell? Would you be willing to split it up? I am going to be drilling and tapping the side of my TB to mount a nitrous spray nozzle, as my setup is too tight for a n2o plate to fit. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts